23c and bloody tough

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Right - that's it! I am sick of punctures.....I have had more than my fair share for this year already. I am using Continental Ultra Gatorskin tyres - however, part of my commute takes me througha dodgy area near a yoof club, the local yoofs smash bottles all over the cycle path.

So, Should I stick with the Conti gatorskins or try the Spesh Armadillos? Anyone got any good ideas for maximum puncture protection tyres?

Unfortunately, changing route up to this point in my commute is not really an option unless I want to double my distance (which I don't want to do!).....

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    double bag? Or more seriously, have you tried resealant liquid?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    gtvlusso wrote:
    the local yoofs smash bottles all over the cycle path.

This is where you are going wrong :wink: !
    Faster than a tent.......
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Schwalbe Durano Plus.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    StuAff wrote:
    Schwalbe Durano Plus.
    +1
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Ran spesh armadillo elites thru the winter (1500 miles) - 1 visit from some flint that had worked its way thru the tyre but otherwise pretty sound. Reasonable grip too in the wet which is also good news.
  • Runoutofgears
    Runoutofgears Posts: 348
    I had a similar problem a few years ago, I was running gatorskins and took the drastic action of swapping to 700c 25 Marathon plus’es. No more punctures, (not ever), but the ride is harsh and I didnt find them confidence inspiring. Never tried Durano’s but reading the other comments/reviews they might be a reasonable compromise.

6 months later I switched to a road only route and found that I got very few problems despite running racier rubber such as Michelin pro 3’s and conti 4000’s all year.

The sad fact is cycle paths can be harsh environments for road bikes.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i ride 28's Marathon +'s

picked up about 4 flats in 12 months of using them.

the condition of the track i ride down is shocking too, its a local hangout for dealers an their "hoe's" so the place is litrally strewn with glass

i find the tyres need to be kept up to pressure for them to be effective though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I still stand by Halo twin rail couriers Berlin edition. The one on the back of the fixeh is so bald I'm riding on the anti puncture material (keep forgetting to order a replacement) but still hole free since fitting it. Fast and light too.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    Unfortunately, my frame will only take the 23c.

The gatorskins have given me very few problems up to now, the amount of broken glass is clearly to blame, but changing route to that point would be a long commute. I used Armadillos for a while, but they did prove to lack the grip in the wet of the gatorskins.
  • Runoutofgears
    Runoutofgears Posts: 348
    "Halo twin rail couriers Berlin edition" sounds like a weapon of mass distruction!

Just looked them up on wiggle, they look like they have a layer of custard in em, :o)

Perhaps that's the secret.

23 only eh, that narrows it down a bit.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • gtvlusso
    "Halo twin rail couriers Berlin edition" sounds like a weapon of mass distruction!

Just looked them up on wiggle, they look like they have a layer of custard in em, :o)

Perhaps that's the secret.

23 only eh, that narrows it down a bit.

Yerp - anything more and clearances are getting tight......TT frame yer'see.
  • Never tried them:

http://www.greentyre.co.uk/28inch.html

They so a solid, 700c x 20 "Racer" tyre, or a 23c "sprint", and have air-bubbles impregnated right the way through to give a slightly softer ride. If you're planning on riding through broken glass, they might be your best option.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Ah, I'd thought mine were 23: but you're correct, 24c. Just ordered a rear spurred by this thread.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    dhope wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    Schwalbe Durano Plus.
    +1
    +2
    - Well, if they're anything like M+. I guess you only need one, on the back.
    Rolf F wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    the local yoofs smash bottles all over the cycle path.
    This is where you are going wrong :wink: !
    Could you use a different route ?
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Just buy a Durano or a Marathon. Promise.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Never tried them:

http://www.greentyre.co.uk/28inch.html

They so a solid, 700c x 20 "Racer" tyre, or a 23c "sprint", and have air-bubbles impregnated right the way through to give a slightly softer ride. If you're planning on riding through broken glass, they might be your best option.

Yeah get these and tell us all if they're any good :)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Don't buy Marathons. How to double your bike's weight in one mistake :twisted:
  • whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    dhope wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    Schwalbe Durano Plus.
    +1

+2
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Why do you ride TTs through a nasty estate? Thought that sort of freakish behaviour (TT'ing) was reserved for dual carriageways and the like...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • gtvlusso
    SecretSam wrote:
    Why do you ride TTs through a nasty estate? Thought that sort of freakish behaviour (TT'ing) was reserved for dual carriageways and the like...

my old TT frame built into a Fixie.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i ride 28's Marathon +'s

picked up about 4 flats in 12 months of using them.

the condition of the track i ride down is shocking too, its a local hangout for dealers an their "hoe's" so the place is litrally strewn with glass

i find the tyres need to be kept up to pressure for them to be effective though

Have you thought about moving house to a less ropey area?

I live in SW London, and the only thing i have to avoid on the road is the occasional discarded straw boater. These rarely cause an issue with my tryes.

Solved :lol:
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Right - that's it! I am sick of punctures.....I have had more than my fair share for this year already. I am using Continental Ultra Gatorskin tyres - however, part of my commute takes me througha dodgy area near a yoof club, the local yoofs smash bottles all over the cycle path.

So, Should I stick with the Conti gatorskins or try the Spesh Armadillos? [...]

Data point, FWIW: My Roubaix came with Roubaix Armadillo Elites last July; 1,500+ miles later and no punctures.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've had snakebites with Gatorskins but no other type of puncture with them.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Durano Pluses.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'd recommend the Spesh All Condition Armadillo Elites. I got a single puncture a couple of days after fitting them (just to desroy my smugness) but haven't had another since in over 1000 miles.

They do thud a bit over rough stuff BTW, so prepare yourself for a less than feathery ride, but anything that saves me from kneeling down in the rain covered in grease and brake dust half a dozen times a year is worth that sacrifice IMO.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I've got the original Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase on both my bikes. The hybrid (32c) has done 7500 miles without a puncture (I am hanging onto the wooden desk here so as not to jinx myself) and the road bike (23c) has done 1500 without one. And they're dirt cheap - you can pick em up online for £13.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    ^+1 to these. They are supremely tough. They do deaden the road feel, though, as they are not very supple. Good value.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Have you thought of going down to the area where the glass is being smashed, dressed in good camo gear, and taking a hunting crossbow with you?

Andy
  • mick_cornick
    mick_cornick Posts: 175
    Used both Armadillos and Gator Skins, both very good and about the same rolling resistance so go for the cheapest.
  • gtvlusso
    Magibob wrote:
    Have you thought of going down to the area where the glass is being smashed, dressed in good camo gear, and taking a hunting crossbow with you?

Andy

I have a firearms license, so a hunting bow is kinda medieval to me.....