Bike Navigation Apps for the iPhone

Cliveyp
Cliveyp Posts: 173
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I know there's users on Strava, Runkeeper and so on; both of which i've used and will continue to use; but is there any good apps for navigation?

I've laid out a local route to me on Google maps, which is actually the route used by the BHF Worcestershire ride this year, but i'm not familiar with large sections of it and would like to be able to navigate it on my phone. Does anyone know of any apps where you can input a route, maybe even as an export from Google maps, and rely on your phone as a nav? Free would be ideal, but if i've got to pay and its not too expensive it should be OK. As its a circular route, its not just a straight forward 'destination and return' type of route, the built in maps app would be a mare to program!

Cheers all!
2015 Ridley Fenix 105
2012 Cube Ltd SL
2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
2001 Giant Boulder - Sold

Comments

• I believe the BikeHub app is supposed to do navigation, but I've never used it to be able to confirm.
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • Cliveyp
    Thanks. I've just looked into this one and it could well be the answer we need! It might not allow me to plot the exact route, but appears to have a "Point A-A" option ideal for a leisurely circular route. I'll download it when i'm back on the WiFi!
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Bike Hub is promising, but the iPhone app does seem a bit unstable to me - frequent crashes.
  • Cliveyp
    Any alternatives you can recommend?
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • Cyclemeter has always worked faultlessly for me in the past. iPhone 3GS and 4S. Battery life isn't half as bad as people make out but don't expect to get 10 hours out of it.

Great app and well worth the £2.99 I think I paid for it. Knowing what I know now I'd happily pay much more than that for it
  • Cliveyp wrote:
    Thanks. I've just looked into this one and it could well be the answer we need! It might not allow me to plot the exact route, but appears to have a "Point A-A" option ideal for a leisurely circular route. I'll download it when i'm back on the WiFi!
    Clive,

I believe that you can plot a route on the Bikehub website and then download it to your phone later...
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    edited May 2012
    Cyclemeter has always worked faultlessly for me in the past.

But Cyclemeter doesn't do turn-by-turn navigation, I believe?
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    +1 for Cyclemeter. I paid 2.99 but its worth so much more. It doesnt give you turn by turn directions, but it will give you a map of the route and your location, so you can see which turn you need to take. Battery life is ok, was fine before I updated by iPhone 3Gs to IOS 5, but after that I can only get 40 miles life out of it before its dead. Before that I could 60 odd. Best cycling App I've found.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • baldwin471
    baldwin471 Posts: 366
    Get an android phone ;) Free turn by turn navigation on google maps. you can plan out a route and follow it, with voice commands (Like a car sat-nav). Also try running something like endomondo in the background so it tracks your speed, calories, heart rate etc. That's what i do :)