Is it possible not to look an arse in a road helmet?

2»

Comments

• Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    rjsterry wrote:
    Anyone else get the PX newsletter, with the picture of the hockey mask-style TT helmet?

holyshit3.jpg

Wow! :D

That would scare the cr@p out of anyone on the daily commute!
  • bromyG
    bromyG Posts: 59
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Anyone else get the PX newsletter, with the picture of the hockey mask-style TT helmet?

holyshit3.jpg

Remind you of anything? . . . .

jason1.jpg

Red Brompton S6L
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    So I pulled the trigger on a BBB Falcon (Thanks Ride Hard!). I opted for that one because it looks pretty good, avoids mushroom head as best a cycling helmet can, gets pretty decent reviews, was priced ok (just shy of £80 at Wiggle) and has a central pillar at the front, which will be useful for my Moon light that I mount there. It does sound like it's a bit more basic than other options out there, but if it's good enough for a couple of pro teams... Fingers crossed it does the job.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Well, the Falcon arrived and my first impressions were that build quality was a little poor for a supposedly 'pro' helmet. But then I had expected that from what I'd read up on it. On the plus side it did avoid mushroom-head and looked pretty smart, all things considered. Going out for my first ride, however, I discovered that it was really tricky to get a comfy fit with the straps, that the padding, particularly at the brow, was pretty poor, and that the wind noise was ridiculous. It's a real shame because I do think it's as good-looking as a bike helmet can be, but it's going to have to go back. If professional teams actually do use this helmet then I'm sure they are massively customised. I hear BBB are to release an updated version soon that may well address the above issues, but it's too late for me. Time to try a Las Victory!

things that are important about a helmet*:

1. that it fits properly
    2. that it fits properly
    3. that it fits properly
    4. that it fits properly
    etc...

Eventually, you'll get to comfort, ventilation, weight, ease of use, how aero it is etc etc. Scroll down a bit further and youmight eventually get to what it looks like.

* this assumes that all helmets pass the appropriate tests and are suitable at protecting your bonce in the event of a crash.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    bromyG wrote:
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

holyshit3.jpg

Remind you of anything? . . . .

jason1.jpg

Exactly: a lane all to yourself.

Look up SmirkMasks if you want to see more.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    BigMat wrote:
    things that are important about a helmet*:

1. that it fits properly
    2. that it fits properly
    3. that it fits properly
    4. that it fits properly
    etc...

Eventually, you'll get to comfort, ventilation, weight, ease of use, how aero it is etc etc. Scroll down a bit further and youmight eventually get to what it looks like.

* this assumes that all helmets pass the appropriate tests and are suitable at protecting your bonce in the event of a crash.

Fits properly is fine but still only one point! It's not as though finding a lid that fits is that hard - the tricky thing is the rest. The main proviso is that you do start from fit.

The problem is testing. I'd never do as the OP and order a lid online. I tried Met, Bell, Giro, Louis Garneau, Boardman, Specialized, Mavic, Kask and Salice but the only ones that fitted were the Giro Ionos (weighs more than a Sherman tank), the Catlike Whisper (just looks a bit mad) and the Kask Mojito which was everything I wanted from a lid.

I wished I'd found Limar, Uvex or the Las Victory but I didn't buy because I couldn't test.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Back to the original question, no Johnny it is not. All that is possible (via the expenditure of vast amounts of cash and effort) it to look ever so slightly less *rselike than the others.

This singles you out for special attention from the ladies, well, compared to the attention they give the other sweaty lycra clad guys anyway. Which is of course, none.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    SimonAH wrote:
    Back to the original question, no Johnny it is not. All that is possible (via the expenditure of vast amounts of cash and effort) it to look ever so slightly less *rselike than the others.

This singles you out for special attention from the ladies, well, compared to the attention they give the other sweaty lycra clad guys anyway. Which is of course, none.

Well, that's more to do with the bod inside the sweaty lycra/helmet, no?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition