Which shoes for high feet?

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Having an expensive lesson in shoe comfort.

Ridden in Shimano MO76s for the last two years, they are knackered and hurt a little after 20+miles but this could be because of being knackered. They ride like flip flops.

Purchased Spesh Pro Carbons, felt great in the shop but after 100 miles the lip started to really dig in. Sold and purchased some Sidi Dominator 5s, not so bad but again after some use the lip is digging in and not comfy with a few miles on the clock. :evil:

Seems I might have high arches(?!) or just generally fat ankles :lol:

Any brands better suited to this. I tried everything available in the bike shop now Spesh, Louis Garneau, Mavic, Suplest & Sidi. Perhaps my feet hate ratchet systems.

Is Shimano sizing similar fit across the ranges because if they are I might just purchase some XC 60s or M183 but there are no LBS to try them in. That or might just give up and get some new MO77s.

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    I tried on some Lake shoes (401 I think?) and immediately crossed them off because of the really high arch support.. maybe worth a look. Lovely shoes otherwise!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Maybe you need to look into getting inserts/shims
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Sidi Megas are meant to be for high arches amongst other things. Or get some the mouldable shoes like the Bont Vapours
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    iPete wrote:
    Having an expensive lesson in shoe comfort.

Ridden in Shimano MO76s for the last two years, they are knackered and hurt a little after 20+miles but this could be because of being knackered. They ride like flip flops.

Purchased Spesh Pro Carbons, felt great in the shop but after 100 miles the lip started to really dig in. Sold and purchased some Sidi Dominator 5s, not so bad but again after some use the lip is digging in and not comfy with a few miles on the clock. :evil:

Seems I might have high arches(?!) or just generally fat ankles :lol:

Any brands better suited to this. I tried everything available in the bike shop now Spesh, Louis Garneau, Mavic, Suplest & Sidi. Perhaps my feet hate ratchet systems.

Is Shimano sizing similar fit across the ranges because if they are I might just purchase some XC 60s or M183 but there are no LBS to try them in. That or might just give up and get some new MO77s.

Get some Bonts. I bought a pair last month, you heat mould them to your feet, so they fit like a glove. I've used mine in tandem with some 'Sole' inners which are also mouldable. I've always used Spesh before, but the Bonts are a cut above.
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    I seem to remember hearing that Bontrager shoes (Treks own brand) are good for high arches I think.

Could be worth trying a pair.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Thanks a LBS has the bonts, best sell up the SIDIs take the loss and get saving.