new bike

andy-64
andy-64 Posts: 51
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hello
I am new to this forum and need some advise.

At the moment I have a carrera tdf but ham looking to upgrade looking for a bike in the £1000 price range any advice would be welcome

Comments

• p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    andy-64 wrote:
    Hello

At the moment I have a carrera tdf but ham looking to upgrade looking for a bike in the £1000 price range any advice would be welcome

Welcome young Padawan. Go fourthly to your local bicycle emporiums and ride all the delights that they have to offer within in your price range and then with all due diligence purchase with confidence the velocipede that best takes your fancy and that offers the best value for money, bike for your buck, so to speak. I absolutely insist that you enjoy the process of purchasing your new pedal driven recreational vehicle, there a few things more enjoyable in the world than negotiating the purchase of a bike. Except perhaps sex, oh and food, and a good movie, or book, oh yes and Soreen Maltoaf.

I hope this helps.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Yoda, eat your heart out :?
    Cube Peloton Pro.
    Genesis Core 30.
  • Redsteveb
    Redsteveb Posts: 201
    Not sure if this helps, but I've spent the last 5 months or so looking for my next bike which I'd set a budget of £1200 for. I visited 4 or 5 local bike shops, selling a wide variety of makes & models, including Bianchi, Giant, BMC, Specialized, Orbea, Raleigh and many more.

I read as many mags, looked at website reviews and spoke to fellow cycling mates too. On Monday I ordered a new Rose for £1050 delivered from Germany. The bike will take 7 weeks to be built but I think the wait is well worth it for what you get:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:530511
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    andy-64 wrote:
    Hello

Giant defy 1 2012 - described in the bike radar review as the best riding bike they know of for £1k.

I've got one and its superb.

Problem solved. Although there is a but of a wait for them as they are so popular.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    ...or you could but a used Cannondale Caad 9 <wink wink, know what I mean?>
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    andy-64 wrote:
    Hello

Giant defy 1 2012 - described in the bike radar review as the best riding bike they know of for £1k.

Problem solved. Although there is a but of a wait for them as they are so popular.

Bike radar have described many £1k bikes as the best they know. Have a look at Cube higher spec, 105 and Ultegra, internal cables, carbon forks etc

my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Cycling + has a review of 12 £1000 bikes this month, buy it and read up, it will give you more info than we ever can on here.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • andy-64
    andy-64 Posts: 51
    Thanks for all your advise but with so many bikes out there this is going to take some time
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    For 1k your not going to get a bad bike from any brand, they all might have slightly different geometries and components but the differences will be more based on what the bike is designed for such as all day riding, comfort, speed etc .
    Go to the shops and try them out is all i can say, i am baised to one brand that regualry gets into the top 10 in C+ reviews but that because i have one via C2W and it s a great deal for the money ( sssh boardman !)
    Another option is to look at decathlon , you can get a full carbon with 105 based on the frame i think christophe moreua won races on for less then 1k and many people rate their lower spec bikes for value and customer service.
    FCN 3/5/9