New to cycling on the road

joshr96
joshr96 Posts: 153
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
As you may know I've been into road cycling since Christmas but have very rarely used any roads in that time, I normally keep to the cycle paths.
Anyway, I'm going on a caravan trip in Scotland this bank holiday weekend and taking my second bike (Crossbow Hybrid) and my dads mountain bike (Specialized Hardrock). So, I intend on doing some cycling when I am there because from the looks of Google Earth, the roads outside the caravan site are relatively smooth, straight and not very busy. However, there is some turn offs at points that I am going to have to take if I want to avoid the motor way (which I do). So, what do I do if I'm riding, closing in on this turn off with a car behind me and a car coming my way on the other side?
Obviously I can't cross because of the car coming my way and can't really stop dead at the side because of the car behind.
Please help, I don't drive, I'm 15, what do I do?

P.S - I will be using the Hybrid :)
Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
Crossbow Hybrid
Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..

Comments

• I assume you are talking about a right hand turn. First of all I'd recommend reading the Highway Code to make sure you're familiar with the rules of the road in general - you'll be able to find it here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /index.htm

Rule 179 covers what you need to do when turning right. Make sure you signal your intentions clearly and look before pulling out. If its not busy I'd ideally try to let the car past before pulling out just to deconflict with the traffic. But, if it is unavoidable that there is a car behind you and you need to stop and there is no room to pass, they must wait until you have completed your manoeuvre.
  • slowlanejane
    slowlanejane Posts: 312
    Josh, ask your mum or dad to take you out on the roads for a ride to show you how to navigate them - even if they hate cycling I'm sure they'll do this for you as they'll want you to be safe and confident, and the trip only has to be short & round the local roads where you live so not too strenuous if they're not that fit. But if they hate that idea, ask a friend or another adult who rides to go out with you - if you lived near me I'd have no problem going out with you to show you the ropes and I guess similar thinking people live your way.

Ideally you should look at some Bikeability training. My kids have done this at school and maybe your school organises courses too, so check that out, but you can also google it to find a local trainer and book a 1:1 if you can get the cash (they might even help you for free if youre stuck for money and you explain the situation).

Maybe a local BR forumite will do the honours for you?

Anyway, my mummy-instinct is giving me warning bells about you going on longer & more ambitious rides in an unfamiliar place if you're not fully road aware, so please whatever you do, be sure you're confident before you ride; plan your route in advance and tell people where you're going & when you'll be back; avoid A roads, dual carriageways and large roundabouts; take your mobile phone and preferrably, ride with someone else.
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Reading you're post,it sounds as if you may think you can cycle on a motorway but don't wish to. Just to make it absolutely clear to you, you CANNOT ride a bicycle on it at all.
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    houndlegs wrote:
    Reading you're post,it sounds as if you may think you can cycle on a motorway but don't wish to. Just to make it absolutely clear to you, you CANNOT ride a bicycle on it at all.

Oh yes you can, it's illegal, slightly exciting and dangerous, but you can.
    Ridley Orion
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    houndlegs wrote:

If that was meant to be witty, you managed to get halfway.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    If you can't make the turn because of oncoming traffic move towards the centre of your lane to take control of it and prevent a car behind from passing and then you can turn off once the oncoming car has passed. It doesn't matter if you have to come to a complete stop and hold up cars behind you for an entire queue of traffic oncoming the other way. Chances are even if you hugged the left of the road they wouldn't be able to pass wide enough around you with oncoming cars anyway so just move into the middle lane, signal your intent to turn right clearly and wait for it to be safe to cross the oncoming lane of traffic.

I'd definitely advise having a parent or family friend ride with you on the road to show you how to do it all safely and with confidence.

It's really nothing to be worried about though, if you're careful, alert and signal your intentions clearly then you'll be fine :)
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    houndlegs wrote:
    houndlegs wrote:

I read it as a comment on your English. You MAY not, but you CAN. Sorry. ;)
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Josh, if you're at all unsure/not confident about looking behind as you're riding along (plenty of experienced cyclists cant hold a straight line whilst doing that), pull into the kerb on the left and wait till traffic behind you has cleared, then as soon as safe ride across the road to take the right turn. It'll all come together eventually. enjoy
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    edited May 2012
    houndlegs wrote:
    houndlegs wrote:

I read it as a comment on your English. You MAY not, but you CAN. Sorry. ;)

Edit: pressed return twice on tablet. Wasn't that funny the first time. Sorry.
  • Technik
    Technik Posts: 35
    Josh, put yourself in the car driver's position - if he sees a bicycle in front, near a junction/roundabout he needs to know what the cyclist is trying to do, where he is going. You have to be predictable to the rest of the road users, so no sharp and sudden moves, everything should be smooth and clearly signaled.
    Where about in Scotland are you going to? If it's close to me then I could take you out for a ride on my local roads.
  • calmx5
    calmx5 Posts: 230
    Yep, just signal within plenty of time, and then move towards the centre of your lane to take control of it and prevent a car behind from passing and then you can turn off once the oncoming car has passed. Or simply just wait by the curb until all traffic has gone, Hope this helps
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    houndlegs wrote:
    houndlegs wrote:

It wasn't meant to be witty, it was questioning your use of the word "CANNOT". MUST NOT would be more correct. :wink:
    Ridley Orion
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    As you may know I've been into road cycling since Christmas but have very rarely used any roads in that time, I normally keep to the cycle paths.
    Anyway, I'm going on a caravan trip in Scotland this bank holiday weekend and taking my second bike (Crossbow Hybrid) and my dads mountain bike (Specialized Hardrock). So, I intend on doing some cycling when I am there because from the looks of Google Earth, the roads outside the caravan site are relatively smooth, straight and not very busy. However, there is some turn offs at points that I am going to have to take if I want to avoid the motor way (which I do). So, what do I do if I'm riding, closing in on this turn off with a car behind me and a car coming my way on the other side?
    Obviously I can't cross because of the car coming my way and can't really stop dead at the side because of the car behind.
    Please help, I don't drive, I'm 15, what do I do?

P.S - I will be using the Hybrid :)

Best to either hold your course ( a good metre in from the curb) or, when safe, (checking over your right shoulder) move into the middle of the road (the primary position).

Ultimately you have right of way. Now obviously you need to pay attention - if you see a car steaming in on his way to hit you, best to get out of the way - but that's unlikely to happen.

Positioning on the road is very important in dictating how cars behave around you! Ride 30cm from the curb and cars will squeeze past and give you very little room. Cycle where their left wheels would normally be travelling keeps the cars behind so the pass properly, but isn't so far in the road that you seem like you're deliberately slowing them down!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If you can find a copy of Cyclecraft by John Franklyn in your nearest bookshop you could read it on the journey up there. It's the best book going on road cycling, bikeability is based around it and it's a good read for anyone, even old fogies like me.

It'll tell you what you need to know, in plain simple English. Thoroughly recommended.
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Thanks everyone for the help you've given. I just got back from the caravan over an hour ago now and had a great time on and off the bike. I did get out on the hybrid, however I did not manage to get on that road I've been asking about due to lack of time (always on the go fishing for trout and things). The caravan park was supplied with great roads that had a car pass by every 10 mins or so, therefore it was great round there as I pretended the small roads where real outside roads, practicing the crucial turn offs and other maneuvers. I did manage the hardest climb of my cycling life there though, it may sound slightly easy as it was on the grounds of a caravan park but trust me, I can't think of many people who wouldn't struggle to get up that thing, I almost blacked out at the top, was breathing too heavy and got all light headed. I will try my best to get you guys a photo of the thing but I can't promise anything, thanks again though :D
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • Hector10
    Hector10 Posts: 18
    If you are in any doubt whatsoever when turning right, never put yourself at risk and cycle past your junction until its safe to do a U turn. Better a couple of hundred metres extra on your journey than an accident.
    I know the Highway Code says Cyclists must be respected etc but I've never picked up the Highway Code since I passed my test in 1991 and I doubt many of the 18-25 year olds are aware of Other highway users rights.
    I was pulling past 2 horses on my Sunday ride on a single track lane and a Saxo decided there was enough room to pass us all. TOOL!
  • +1 for 'Cyclecraft' by John Franklin. It has nice clear diagrams to explain the safest thing to do / place to be. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclecraft-comp ... 136&sr=1-1