Bontrager xr4 or maxxis advantage

Shooting mike
Shooting mike Posts: 54
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
So, after hours of research on here and elsewhere, I've come to the conclusion that for an all round, year round, all conditions, fastish rolling yet grippy tyre I should be looking at one of the above.
My riding is mainly local trails and the odd red route at sherwood pines. The local trails are a mix of hard packed sandy stuff, sticky mud when wet and pit slag / ash type trails. Not much rock at all, only the odd tree root. And for the more local stuff I have to use about half a mile of road either way.

I therefore don't want heavy, downhill super sticky grippy things, nor fancy folding super compounds with added liquorice or whatever..
I also don't want to remortgage the house to pay for tyres so cheap is good.

I've gathered that loads of people are happy with the two tyres above, even in basic wire bead versions so just want to confirm a couple of things such as: the xr4 look quite nobbly so are they ok on roads and harder packed trails? I want something that rolls and grips to improve bike speed otherwise there's not much point changing whats on already (cheap CST nobbly things)
The advantage look better in that regard but then the tread looks a bit complex and when the mud sticks round here, it really sticks so are they a pain to clean?
And the final one: anything else I should look at?

Comments

• .. Such as an ignitor?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Really is worth paying a little more than the basic versions. Folding knocks a fair bit of weight off (in a critical area), the construction is usually more durable, and some of the compounds really do grip better. There can be a lot of crossover with what is on there though.

Both your options are decent entry level tyres, but have hard, basic compounds that are a little prone to sliding on wet rock and roots.

If you can stretch to it, I would recommend this:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a45596 ... html?lg=en

£65 for the pair, but are great in all conditions, last well, grippy (yet roll fast) and are at least 200g lighter than your options. Otherwise I'd probably stick with what you have.
  • You see, I've researched the conti tyres to death and for every person that like them, there are three that hate them. I hear they puncture very easily also.
    In the end, that's why I was looking At those 2 as most if not all the reviews were positive. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to try some black chilli but 65 sheets for a pair just won't happen!
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I purchased the Conti Kings from bike discount yesterday, so hopefully will have them soon. I went for a 2.2 on rear, 2.4 up front. Both the Black Chili compound and protection. Still lighter than the High Rollers they are replacing.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have used XR4's and Advantage, very different tyres. XR4 is excellent in all conditions but does drag a little & is massive, the 2.2" is bigger than a 2.5" high roller. The Advantage is great in dry & damp conditions but useless in mud
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The new XR4 is a different tread to the old XR4 which is what everyone has reviewed, but you can still buy the old one with good discounts.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Never run the bonty tyre but always been pleased with the advantage, good all round tyre IMO
  • So neither are too aggressive then? I want something fastrolling but also want reasonable grip.. The holy Grail i suppose!
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    my mate has just bought the xr4's and they are massive
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • I've read they're big volume -wise but what's the tread like?