Clothes - Stupid questions ITT

sancho1983
sancho1983 Posts: 76
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hey,

I have a pair of compression tights (unpadded) and have been wearing those with some baggy shorts over the top. My road bike should be ready by the weekend and as I have been using a mtb padding has never really been a consideration.

With that in mind I have just bought a pair of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pro-padded-undershorts/

So I'm supposed to wear the tights, padded shorts underneath and boxers? or no boxers?

When it's hot and I don't want to wear the tights what do I wear over the undershorts?

My wife laughs every time she sees me looking at bibs, I'm a pretty big bloke (6ft 5 and 17 stone) so quite self concious of how I look.

Don't want to look a tool, but also want to wear the right stuff. Any tips?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    edited May 2012
    no boxers - Padded undershorts (clue in the title) and then the compression tights.

If you wanna wear shorts - wear shorts OVER the undershorts

Gets some bibs - your wife will love it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Schobiedoo
    Schobiedoo Posts: 121
    No boxers, they'll only ruck up and rub. Long ago I got over the bib issue and have not looked back as they are by far the most comfortable.
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    Two words - Get. Bibs.

You'll get plenty of advice on here to just wear whatever works for you and this is generally good advice. But get bibs.

Padded shorts, of any sort, should be worn next to the skin, not over the top of boxers. The "whatever works for you" bit doesn't apply here.

I'm not that keen on walking into the office in just my bibtights/shorts, so I wear some loose shorts over them when commuting. If I'm just out on a ride, just tights/shorts are fine.

Oh, and get bibs. Seriously, my missus laughed at my "wrestling suit" at first but has come to accept it. You'll almost certainly find if you're a big lad that waist shorts and cycling jerseys tend not to meet up at the back after a short amount of time in the saddle. I was far more conscious about flashing my @rse crack in waist shorts than i've ever been about riding around in lycra.
  • sancho1983
    Thanks,

That is true about the flashing thing, I am concious of that when riding.

But seriously, no boxers? This isn't some sort of wind up/hazing thing? :)

I'll look into bibs, I suppose when there's some stuff over the top of it you can't really tell anyway, will give me a chance to do my best WWE impression.

Any good (and of course by that I mean cheap...) bibs to start me off?
  • Not a wind up. No undies. Just another layer next to the skin to stop the padded layer doing its job. Took me a while to get into it, so to speak, but it will be worth it from a comfort point of view. Sweaty bollocks are sweaty bollocks regardless of what you wear when you ride a bike, but scratched up bollocks because you're wearing boxers et al are just horrific!

I have a theory with cycle clothing that has proved right for me over the years. You wear what makes you physically comfortable of course but if you can embrace the total loss of dignity that often comes with good cycle specific clothing you'll find yourself even more comfortable.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    sancho1983 wrote:
    Thanks,

I'll look into bibs, I suppose when there's some stuff over the top of it you can't really tell anyway, will give me a chance to do my best WWE impression.

Not a wind up? I asked this question a few weeks a go in the Going Commando thread. I now go " commando" it was awkward at first, but folk have stopped laughing and throwing things now.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    Not a wind up. No undies. Just another layer next to the skin to stop the padded layer doing its job. Took me a while to get into it, so to speak, but it will be worth it from a comfort point of view. Sweaty bollocks are sweaty bollocks regardless of what you wear when you ride a bike, but scratched up bollocks because you're wearing boxers et al are just horrific!

I have a theory with cycle clothing that has proved right for me over the years. You wear what makes you physically comfortable of course but if you can embrace the total loss of dignity that often comes with good cycle specific clothing you'll find yourself even more comfortable.

Sorry about going off topic, but are you Richard Spooner the reasonably well known drummer?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Sorry to disappoint, but no! I'm just plain old Richard Spooner.
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    Another question about undies / no undies :roll: Should be a banning offence
  • p9uma
    Sorry to disappoint, but no! I'm just plain old Richard Spooner.

Ok, ta.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    sancho1983 wrote:

just got a pair of santini 3/4 bib shorts from here www.prendas.co.uk end of line but about £30 off original price too :D

failing that sportsdirect are selling muddyfox bib shorts/tights for around £12-15 but after doing a quick search on here I felt it was worth spending the extra.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    Going Commando all the way. I made the rookie mistake of wearing boxers, and after 15 miles my ass felt like it had fallen asleep at the wrong party.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Excuse the graphic imagery, but if you want proof that even pros go comando:

hoogerlandbarbedwireweb.jpg
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Excuse the graphic imagery, but if you want proof that even pros go comando:

hoogerlandbarbedwireweb.jpg
    recon that smarts a bit
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • p9uma
    OUCH! Thats enough to put me off getting on a bike again.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    At 6 5'' and 17 stone, even if you looked a tool who is going to say it to you.You are going to look like all the other road cyclists. I like my bib shorts as they keep my muffin top tucked away :oops: or so it feels. Have to say the wife thinks without a shirt on i look like one of the wrestlers from the 70/80s :lol: my gran would shout at on saturday TV.Dont think i will be wearing a Tri suit any time soon.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    On a club ride several riders had gone commando. I know this because the shorts were clearly old and had worn a bit thin.

And by "a bit" I mean completely transparent. I could see what he'd had for dinner the previous evening.
  • sancho1983
    hodge68 wrote:
    At 6 5'' and 17 stone, even if you looked a tool who is going to say it to you.You are going to look like all the other road cyclists. I like my bib shorts as they keep my muffin top tucked away :oops: or so it feels. Have to say the wife thinks without a shirt on i look like one of the wrestlers from the 70/80s :lol: my gran would shout at on saturday TV.Dont think i will be wearing a Tri suit any time soon.

Hehe, true.

I think I'm sold, commando and bib shorts it is

Thanks again all
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    sancho1983 wrote:
    Thanks,

If there's a Decathlon anywhere nearby you won't go too far wrong with the stuff from there. As far as I know, there's three ranges (maybe more ?) with anything designated with a 3 basic, 5 mid-range and 7 advanced. Anything in the mid range or above will do you fine until you start hankering after dearer stuff for the sake of it !
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    k1875 wrote:
    sancho1983 wrote:
    Thanks,

If there's a Decathlon anywhere nearby you won't go too far wrong with the stuff from there. As far as I know, there's three ranges (maybe more ?) with anything designated with a 3 basic, 5 mid-range and 7 advanced. Anything in the mid range or above will do you fine until you start hankering after dearer stuff for the sake of it !

+1 I got my shorts from decathlon for a tenner. They have a chmois pad fitted in them and they are very comfortable. After a year a small tear appeared on the seam, but a years wear for a tenner isnt bad.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    sancho1983 wrote:

just got a pair of santini 3/4 bib shorts from here http://www.prendas.co.uk end of line but about £30 off original price too :D

failing that sportsdirect are selling muddyfox bib shorts/tights for around £12-15 but after doing a quick search on here I felt it was worth spending the extra.

Update. Bibtights arrived yesterday (day after ordering) and seem to be good quality with a coolmax insert and a sort of fleece lining too so should be good for the colder months which at this rate will be most of the year. Not had chance to try them out on the bike yet as picked up a new (to me) bike last night and after a quick once over just had the urge to ride it without bothering to get changed.

When the summer finally does hit I will go back to my lidl base layer shorts :)
  • sancho1983
    Update - Can confirm that commando is the way to go.

Done two 15 mile rides without even a hint of chaffing. Those DHB shorts are pretty good