Front brake not working and sounds like a fog horn!! Fixed!

2»

Comments

• steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Yes, but most brakes are porrly setup and contain a fair amount of water, remember ;)

Good point, well presented!!

One of my major gripes with my job is people not changing brake fluid!! How many people here have changed their brake fluid in their car every two years REGARDLESS of mileage??

I change mine every year without exception!!

And the thermogun ive got is this one
    http://www.digital-meters.com/epages/digital-meters.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/digital-meters/Products/%22CEM%20DT-8859%22
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes, but most brakes are porrly setup and contain a fair amount of water, remember ;)
    and most brake fluid needs some water.

dont forget disc temp has very little to do with fluid temp.

Phenolic pistons are used for a reason.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • steelie600
    nicklouse wrote:
    You'd have to be really caning the brakes to get them over 200degrees, like dragging them down an alpine run. At which point, you will have boiled them to the point of damage already.

boiled with discs at that temp?

some brakes maybe most i think not.

had my Codes up too about 300C according to the temper chart. no boiling but the brakes were crap.

the next year went the Ones and no issues.

Oh
    and Yes Swedish big hills ;)

a good thing to remember is the steel temper colour chart as it gives a quick reference.

you can also get thermo stickers that you could put on your discs and calipers

http://temperature-indicators.co.uk/acatalog/Industrial_6_Level_Mini_Strip_Indicator_Labels.html
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    nicklouse wrote:
    and most brake fluid needs some water.

dont forget disc temp has very little to do with fluid temp.

Phenolic pistons are used for a reason.
    I've often wondered about this.
    What is the actual cause of the problem that is commonly identified as "boiled" brakes? Is it just the friction material reaching such a high temperature that it breaks down?
    I have had a number of brake systems heat up to the point where they immediately became spongy, and never regained performance until they were flushed and bled. In those circumstances, the "boiled" brakes were, I suspect, jsut badly bled, and foamed up as the air bubbles expanded with heat.
  • Right, bought 120 grit paper and sanded the pads and discs down now both working perfect with NO squeek noise at all :) finally a happy man!! Took it out and "slammed on" a few times from speed as I read holding the brake on doesn't help this situation, been on a 5 mile ride and it's spot on!

The pads, before (left) and after (right)
    717a89b6.jpg
  • steelie600
    See I was right he had glazed em with heat!!

Glad youve got em sorted chief, however bit miffed cos ive just found this video that I thought might have been beneficial to ya!! And its not needed. Bugger it ill link it anyways!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-7jVpJikRQ&feature=related
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Ha thanks for the taking the time to find me a solution, regardless!