Trek Cobia 29er 2012

Crawlinguphills
Crawlinguphills Posts: 95
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
I have just got back into riding recently, and after starting off with an ebay 2008 Trek 4500, I am collecting a new Trek Cobia tomorrow that I have got through the cycle to work scheme. Very, very excited. Does anyone own one? What are your thoughts? Have I made the right choice? Anything weak on it that I should watch out for?

As a result of the new steed there is a very pleasent Giant Talon 2 brand spanking new in the classifieds, as work brilliantly decided to introduce the cycle to work scheme the same day I picked up a new bike. Originally had my heart set on a 29er, but couldnt quite stretch to it before the C2W scheme. So the new Giant 26er has to go!!!

Comments

• Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Had an extended borrow (a month) on a 2010 Cobia - was a Gary Fischer back then.
    Got very good write ups at the time (best entry level 29er in MBuk I think). I don't know whether the spec has changed now that Trek have bought GF, but I would imagine that it is very similar.

Found it great on trails - no problems getting up to speed. The trails I run have a lot of tree roots, and it just blasted over those. I think you will be pleased with your purchase.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Just to give people an update.

Collected the Trek on Friday and took it through its paces on Sunday. What can I say, sensational bike. I found it more comfortable to ride than a 26er, but then I am an odd body shape, with short legs and incredibly long torso (6ft 3). Some people have said that they are massively aware of the front wheel, but that didnt present a problem for me. It is without doubt more twitchy going through tight singletrack, but then this could also be because I am finding myself going down singletrack far quicker due to the momentum created with my bigger wheels (this of course could just be in my mind). However it did take some getting used to, and I did spill a couple of times. The huge plus is climbing, I am far faster uphill and it feels less of an effort.

I guess for the cons, I am not at all convinced by the brakes, and currently have no confidence they will actually stop me at times. I think this is possibly because they havent bedded in, but I am going to check with the LBS I purchased it from. The brakes are meant to be an improvement on the 2011 model, so god alone knows what they were like. Finally everyone always comments on the saddle with Trek's, can I just say that when I got off the bike after 3 hours on Sunday I felt like I had been assaulted. It is getting changed immediately.

All in all if you are thinking of a 29er that isnt going to make your bank manager weep, give this a try, great bike, chuffed to bits
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Reckon half of that will be in your head.
    When I bought my new bike, I was convinced I was going faster.
    Until I checked my rides using Strava - turns out inwas going about the same speed. :oops:

It's that new bike feeling. You can do anything on it until your first proper fall. That said, you are probably right about the front end. I found that the 29er handled a lot differently - required a real change in style when tackling tight corners, and less effort through deep mud and over tree roots.

As long as it puts a big grin on your face, you have bought the right bike...
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)