The scale of the universe

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,965
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
I picked this up on another forum, and thought, "Those clever bods that frequent the Cake Stop will like this too", so here it is.

http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    wow that is brilliant so i now know my tog is 10 yoctometers long - ha take that claire balding

its more mindblowing zooming in than zooming out i thought
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • capt_slog
    The things that struck me:-

on the zoom-out, was how piddlingly small our sun is compared to a lot of other stars.

on the zoom-in, how small our limit is with an electron microscope.

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Bloody hell, that's cool
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Awesome. Although I'm nowhere near intelligent enough to comprehend the scale of all that.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    brilliant find Capt Slog could spend hours :D looking at that :D
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • oldhairylegs
    oldhairylegs Posts: 220
    Just brilliant that is.

Thanks Capt Slog! :lol:
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    If upsets to think I was born a time where I wasn't able to see these places up close. And by that I mean not be a successful starfighter pilot.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Awesome. Absolutely awesome. But no mention of the Monolith?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    The sheer size of the universe always blows my mind, but equally impressive is the tiny end of the scale. It's amazing that the human mind can even contemplate such dimensions.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Very Good - Stolen and claimed as mine!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Like it.
    Try this - Drag the bar all the way to the right then drag it back across as fast as you can - even better with some booze down ya neck! :mrgreen:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Technik
    Technik Posts: 35
    Amazing! Do you guys still believe that we are on our own in the universe after looking on that? That universe thing is just sooo huge.... :shock:
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Really good link! I love this sort of thing.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Technik wrote:
    Amazing! Do you guys still believe that we are on our own in the universe after looking on that? That universe thing is just sooo huge.... :shock:

Nope - we are probably not alone.
  • mattwood
    mattwood Posts: 148
    Technik wrote:

Nope - we are probably not alone.

I am willing to go the other way and suggest that we are, but that we probably have not been the sole inhabitants of the universe.

The reason for this is even to think that life may exist in a relatively close galaxy, any civilisation could either be long extinct by the time we know about it, or we could well be extinct by the time they are able to detect our existence, due mainly to the fact we still rely on electromagnetic waves to contact any potential life forms, and due to the distance to the nearest galaxy, this could still take millions/billions of years to transmit/receive.

For example, Andromeda is 2.5 million lightyears away - so that would be a theoretical 5 million years to send and receive a signal - bloody long time.

Another one to look at is the 'Pale Blue Dot' photograph, and what Carl Sagan has to say about it:
    We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Another one to look at is the 'Pale Blue Dot' photograph, and what Carl Sagan has to say about it:
    We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
    [/quote]
    All politicians should have that to recite that quote, not some ridiculous swearing of allegiance to an archaeic figurehead :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Humans have only existed for about 50,000 years (longer if you include very early man) which is no time at all in the scale of the universe. An even shorter time if you allow for advancements such as the use of electricity etc. So as previously said other life forms may have come and gone, and others may develop in the future and we wouldn't know anything about them.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I remember a demonstration at school (a long time ago) where our teacher compared a twelve inch ruler to the timescale over which the planet earth has existed. The presence of man was represented by 1/32nd of an inch (less them 1mm for you youngsters)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    This is great. Reminds me of a film I saw as a kid. It started with the blood cells through a mosquito feeding on a boys arm while sitting in a boat on a lake and then went out to outer space, but not as in depth as this.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,651
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • capt_slog
    DavMartinR wrote:
    This is great. Reminds me of a film I saw as a kid. It started with the blood cells through a mosquito feeding on a boys arm while sitting in a boat on a lake and then went out to outer space, but not as in depth as this.

ah yes, I remember that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgfwCrKe_Fk

• capt_slog
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I did a search for it, but only on this forum. ah well.

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Stevo 666 wrote:

That's the old version, smartarse. Us Roadies have the all singing, all dancing, new Mk2 version. animated-smileys-cheeky-017.gif
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It does answer the question...

How long is a piece of string?

Fantastic stuff though, very impressed.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Kinda like the "Total Perspective Vortex" from h2g2.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Capt Slog wrote:
    DavMartinR wrote:

ah yes, I remember that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgfwCrKe_Fk

Yea, that's it. Looks a little dated now but still good. Wonder if anybody would do an new version with all the computer power and graphics we have today?
  • capt_slog
    RonB wrote:
    Kinda like the "Total Perspective Vortex" from h2g2.

I remembered that too, about the time I was thinking that the page would appeal to CAKEstop readers :wink:

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I think Stevo is telling us he swings both ways.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    me dad used to tell us that the smallest thing in the universe was 'a wrinkle on the pimple of a gnats dick' - :D:D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    edited May 2012
    thecrofter wrote:
    I remember a demonstration at school (a long time ago) where our teacher compared a twelve inch ruler to the timescale over which the planet earth has existed. The presence of man was represented by 1/32nd of an inch (less them 1mm for you youngsters)

It's much less than that. Numbers rounded for easy sums:
    Earth - about 5 billion years old - 1 foot (about 300mm)
    Humanoids - less than 5 million - 0.3mm
    HomoSapiens less than 0.5 million years 0.03mm
    There lots of debate about when Homo species became something you would recognise, although there are parts of UK that maybe haven't got there yet.

There is another nice analogy, if all time is represented by John of Groats to Land's End (1300km), then earth is formed around Birmingham (450km), humanoids appear just 500m from Land's End, and humans somewhere around the Land's End car park. The lives of most forum readers is just 2-5cm from the cliff edge.

Edit: 10 fold error in that last line - should read 2-5 mm from the cliff edge!