New bike for commute - Jamis Quest?

deadslow_cb
deadslow_cb Posts: 10
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi,
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question (perhaps commuting general would be better?) but here goes anyway. Looking for a new commuter for 33 mile round trip used 5 days a week particularly as there is a distinct possibility of a change of location in the near future resulting in the commute becoming 45 mile round trip! Current commuter is a ‘flat bar road bike’ Raleigh SF1.0 18months old which has ~12000miles on the clock. Of course I could continue with this bike but as I don’t have a car and PT is pants I really need a second bike for back up if I switch to 45 mile journey. New bike would be used for commuting on roads only - no off-roading involved & no racing/sportives etc. This time I’m looking for a road bike with drops and as I’m 48 now, I guess I’m thinking a bike with a fairly relaxed geometry would be best. Browsing this forum over the last few months suggest Genesis Equilibrium as an ideal candidate however I noticed that Jamis Quest may be a similar but cheaper alternative particularly as Evans cycles has 25% off until 2/5/12. I’m tempted to pull the trigger on the Jamis but as I’ve never sat on one (never mind had a test ride) I’m wondering if a snap decision may be regretted later especially as I would be estimating the frame size based on my current bike (54cm frame / I’m 5ft 8’ with 30” inside leg). The other worry is the odd looking stem/headset combination which seems to have relatively long head tube and therefore very upright riding position? Anyone on here ride a Jamis Quest and able to offer advice? The Quest seems to be a bargain but am I missing something? Any opinions welcomed.
Thanks
Colin.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Pay a deposit, try it first. But tell them you want to pay that price. Or, if you really have to pay for it now but with the right to a full refund if it doesn't fit or feel right. Don't know anything about the bike so can't really say. But having a quick google it looks good to me.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Never tried one, but I did read the incredible review on road.cc recently (http://road.cc/content/review/56869-jamis-quest).

Now, I absolutely love my Equilibrium and still suspect I would have opted for it had the Quest been available when I was looking for a quality, off-the-peg steel frame at a decent price almost a year ago, but with 25% off, the Quest is looking like an absolute bargain.

Given the type of riding you're expecting and the miles you will be putting in I think you are spot on to be looking at these two bikes.

Where sizing is concerned you must try before you buy. Evans can let you test ride both bikes in any size for a returnable deposit of £100.00

Let us know what you end up with

PS. I spotted an Equilibrium 20 new to Ebay today at a very low start price and in seemingly great condition.
  • deadslow_cb
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my original post. Link to cc review was very informative and after reading it I was ready to buy.
    Unfortunately it seems that my enthusiasm for getting another bike has got the better of me as my idea of a bargain doesn't match that of my better half. So after some 'discussion' the purchase of the Jamis Quest is off :( Looks like I'll plod on with the Raleigh for now probably until it falls apart :roll:

Cheers
    Colin.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Shame, I want one now. Although any discussion with the EPO would result in a very brief "No!" so I sympathise.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my original post. Link to cc review was very informative and after reading it I was ready to buy.
    Unfortunately it seems that my enthusiasm for getting another bike has got the better of me as my idea of a bargain doesn't match that of my better half. So after some 'discussion' the purchase of the Jamis Quest is off :( Looks like I'll plod on with the Raleigh for now probably until it falls apart :roll:

Cheers
    Colin.

Fair enough, and I do sympathise, but given the miles you expect to be putting in on the bike I think you might soon tire of the Raleigh. How about going second-hand? Obviously there won't be any of the Quests around for a while, but Equilibriums do pop up on Ebay quite regularly. Like I say, there is a 56cm model on there right now. Either way, something with drop bars and a semi-decent set of wheels will make your commute a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

I remember when I started commuting by bike, I thought £400 was a lot to spend. It's amazing how soon you start considering £1K bikes to be entry level.

Oh, and one last thing, never tell the other half the real price (just as she knows not to do with you and her shoes and handbags).
  • Hi Guys,

Cheers
    Colin.

Sounds like you need a new wife as well a new bike.
  • deadslow_cb
    Sounds like you need a new wife as well a new bike.

Seems like a good idea at the moment but likely to cost me alot more than a new bike. :)
    How about going second-hand? Obviously there won't be any of the Quests around for a while, but Equilibriums do pop up on Ebay quite regularly.

Yeah, this looks like my best bet now. Just need to wait for the right bike at the right price. :wink: