OT - Human power

mrc1
mrc1 Posts: 852
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I was channel flicking last night and stumbled upon an episode of mythbusters that was testing the corked baseball bat myth. Turned out that corking the bat (ie illegally putting a core of springy cork inside the bat) didn't increase the distance the ball could be hit (the record is around 200m according to their sources).

During it they were talking about how far a human can hit/propel an object and I have been trying to think of the answer (quiet day).

Seems like the record for throwing a baseball is around 135m which is a looooong way. I can't think of anything that a human could throw/kick etc farther without any equipment to assist?

Football and rugby kicking distances aren't that impressive in the grand scheme of things (although there have been some suprisingly long place kicks in American Football). The paper aeroplane record seems to be around the 33m mark.

Using a piece of equipment to help helps extend things massively -

The longest golf drive is a staggering 761m according to wikipedia and the distance record for shooting an arrow from a hand held bow is 1222m which is crazy.

But can a human hit/throw/kick something further with or without assistance?
http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1

Comments

• mercedism
    mercedism Posts: 102
    frisbee 211 metres
  • flimflam_machine
    flimflam_machine Posts: 263
    edited May 2012
    Aerobie - 406.3 metres

If something's carried by the wind it can obviously go quite a bit further, but that probably doesn't count.

Here's the current world record
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Not sure where you draw the line on "human powered" e.g. I could throw a balloon in the air on a windy day and it could go for miles! Assuming it has to be in a specific direction, not wind assisted, I suggest a javelin type object could go a long way. They keep redesigning the Olympic javelin to keep its range within what a stadium can accommodate, if one was designed urely with distance in mind than 135m might be doable?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Depends what you mean by "propel". I can propel myself and my bike many miles; Gossamer Albatross crossed the Channel under human propulsion without touching the ground (or water). I don't think these are in the spirit of your question though...

If we're restricting ourselves to projectiles, things like bows store energy (you put the energy in when you draw the bow). How long are you allowed to spend storing energy? For instance I can imagine a giant crossbow which takes half a day to wind up using a gearing mechanism...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    mrc1 wrote:
    ... and the distance record for shooting an arrow from a hand held bow is 1222m which is crazy.

F*** me, that's a long way. That must have taken some force to pull that bow string back.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Aerobie - 406.3 metres

If something's carried by the wind it can obviously go quite a bit further, but that probably doesn't count.

Here's the current world record

ive got one of them for my Collie, i can confirm without a shadow of a doubt them their things fly a looooong way
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    TGOTB wrote:
    If we're restricting ourselves to projectiles, things like bows store energy (you put the energy in when you draw the bow). How long are you allowed to spend storing energy? For instance I can imagine a giant crossbow which takes half a day to wind up using a gearing mechanism...

Yeah im thinking projectiles - but don't think I'll allow anything that use outside assistance to store the power ie a winch or ratchet.

Aerobie looks to be a big old distance so maybe thats the winner!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    ive got one of them for my Collie, i can confirm without a shadow of a doubt them their things fly a looooong way

Collies fly a long way?! You're sick man! Sick!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mrc1 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Yeah im thinking projectiles - but don't think I'll allow anything that use outside assistance to store the power ie a winch or ratchet.

Aerobie looks to be a big old distance so maybe thats the winner!
    Where's that video of the The Amazing Race melon smash......?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    mrc1 wrote:
    I was channel flicking last night and stumbled upon an episode of mythbusters that was testing the corked baseball bat myth. Turned out that corking the bat (ie illegally putting a core of springy cork inside the bat) didn't increase the distance the ball could be hit (the record is around 200m according to their sources).

During it they were talking about how far a human can hit/propel an object and I have been trying to think of the answer (quiet day).

Seems like the record for throwing a baseball is around 135m which is a looooong way. I can't think of anything that a human could throw/kick etc farther without any equipment to assist?

Football and rugby kicking distances aren't that impressive in the grand scheme of things (although there have been some suprisingly long place kicks in American Football). The paper aeroplane record seems to be around the 33m mark.

The longest golf drive is a staggering 761m according to wikipedia and the distance record for shooting an arrow from a hand held bow is 1222m which is crazy.

Paper Airplane is a lot more than 33 meters!

66 meters is the world record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wedcZp07raE
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    wellington boot?
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    gabriel959 wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

I'm surprised Mythbusters haven't taken on any paper plane myths; they've made concrete gliders, and the lead balloon was amazing to watch (both the construction and flight)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Trebuchet?

1185606978_9b88d2abe1.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    marchant wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

I'm surprised Mythbusters haven't taken on any paper plane myths; they've made concrete gliders, and the lead balloon was amazing to watch (both the construction and flight)

There are a load of concrete barges beached somewhere on the Severn Estuary.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Re human power, cycling always impresses me - how far and fast a human can go on a bike.

Isn't the efficiency of even an average bike around 95% odd?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    What's the record for tossing a dwarf I wonder?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Give me a piece of bamboo cane about 30cm's long, a couple of playing cards and a piece of string and I could make something that could fly about 100 mtrs.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    rjsterry wrote:
    There are a load of concrete barges beached somewhere on the Severn Estuary.
    There have been some very competitive racing yachts built from ferroconcrete; the famous Sydney-Hobart race was once won by a concrete boat colloquially known as the Flying Footpath...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Trebuchet?
    1185606978_9b88d2abe1.jpg
    Thats the one at Warwick castle, with said abode in the background! Humans enter the giant "hamster wheel's" each side to wind it up.

As for throwing, there was a bizarre throwing assistor for javelins that effectively doubled the human arm length and probably allowed a range of circa 250m, does that count, otherwise something that 'floats' like the aerobie will always win as it's not merely a case of initial velocity versus gravity which limits most other objects.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    SimonAH wrote:
    20 to 30 seconds maybe?
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    kelsen wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    20 to 30 seconds maybe?

I hope that isn't *first hand* experience, Kelsen!?!? ;):)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    SimonAH wrote:
    25-seconds
  • SimonAH
    At least you're dead in the middle of the previous estimate, if uncharitable I would be considering that there is some shared real-life knowledge going on here :-D

• SimonAH
    Jimmypippa and Kelsen sitting in a tree (with a dwarf) T-O-S-S-I-N-G :-D

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    jimmypippa wrote:
    ^^^

Doh

His hands were full....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    Re human power, cycling always impresses me - how far and fast a human can go on a bike.

Isn't the efficiency of even an average bike around 95% odd?

Yea, I read somewhere that they calculated a bike to be 96% efficient of something like that. A s/s with some uber ceramic bb and teflon coated chain would be very efficient. Some of those BSO's with buckled wheels rubbing against the brakes ~50%!

Then take a car, which when comparing the calorific content of petrol versus the power output is never going to exceed 40% due to thermal constraints on how an internal combustion operates.. On average, its more like 20%. In addition lots more moving parts, more friction etc - think of all that heat coming from the engine which is wasted energy in the sense of forward propulsion.

Ironically jet engines are massively more efficient, but their use doesn't seem to have to have taken off.....boom boom
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    20 to 30 seconds maybe?

I hope that isn't *first hand* experience, Kelsen!?!? ;):)
    I wouldn't know for sure. It was a shot in the dark......
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Trebuchet?
    As for throwing, there was a bizarre throwing assistor for javelins that effectively doubled the human arm length and probably allowed a range of circa 250m, does that count, otherwise something that 'floats' like the aerobie will always win as it's not merely a case of initial velocity versus gravity which limits most other objects.

atlatl?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    What's the record distance for kicking a regulation size and weight football? Yes; football boots are equipment, but I can honestly kick a ball further in bare feet. Cleaner contact.

It stings a bit, but you just have to MTFU.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/