hi! help?

ksouthy
ksouthy Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi, I have just bought a bike & would like to get into biking, but being a complete novice, what is the best way to build up confidence along with skills. I dont want to be jumping in at the deep end :oops: I live in Foulridge Lancs, surrounded by a lot of fields, reservoirs and a canal. I know there is trails around my way (gisburn, burnley) but I just havent got the confidence to turn up and try it yet.
oh my bike is a Carrera Centos, I've no idea if this is a good bike to start off on or not...

any help would be great
cheers, Kieran

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    err any bike is a good start

but its really saddle time you need to start, get used to how the bike handles, what you naturally can do and have aptitude and talent.

so get out riding, get used to being on the ground (up and downhill) before you get airborne as the faster you go, the quicker and worse the crash is, so start slowly and work your way up.......
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Find some trail centres that have blue runs and/or skills areas and spend some time there. Graded trail centers are the easiest way to work up as you can start a trail with an idea as to what's on it. Start with blue, when you're happy do red, then black etc. At XC trail centres, generally nothing will demand that you leave the ground, there will always be options that keep you wheels touching dirt.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Sounds simple but getting confidence can only come after doing the riding. You need to get out on the bike and start slowly with more simple routes till you get used to your new bike, spending time in the saddle & building up your fitness.

You could always check out the forums as am sure you will find a local group that you could ride with if your mates are not into MTB'ing. Plus you need to try different styles of riding such as all day rides, cross country, trail centre riding and downhilling to find out "whats for you" and where your heart is at when it comes to riding.

Just remember to enjoy yourself and take it easy to start with as its easy to over do it or push to hard first time round and injure yourself which won't make you want to go back out.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    edited May 2012
    First of all well done for getting a bike and asking a sensible question on here.

I was nervous about going to a trail centre, I assumed everyone in the car park would instantly see my lack of experience and all start laughing at me, couldnt have been further from the truth however.

You won't be the only novice there for a start so take things at your own pace, we're a friendly bunch, tend to have a chat in the car park and might even find yourself riding with others if thats your bag or even make a few friends along the way as most of us have I'm sure

Nobody tends to steamroller past you on the trails so don't worry about holding anyone up, it's not a TT and most people will give you heads up if they want to get passed.

Like has been said, get out and ride, start of canal paths etc but don't be put off trail centres for any reason, they are graded with a key so you know what you're riding and they tend to have fun features which you may not find elsewhere

Enjoy :D
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Find some like-minded people and go riding with them... it will give you a good idea of what you can and can't do on a bike, as half the battle is *knowing* that something is rideable, and then having the confidence to give it a try. But don't follow anyone too good too soon, as you may find yourself out of your depth :D
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • ksouthy
    ksouthy Posts: 7
    cheers for the replies!
    il take on board everything thats been said. il let you know how I get on :)