Busted rat-trap pedal

guy.spartacus
guy.spartacus Posts: 321
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Had a quick run out last night and as I dismounted to return my bike to the garage I managed to break one of my rat-trap style pedal things

I have a triathlon event on 3rd June and was considering moving over to a shoe/pedal combo - is it worth doing this so close to an event or is it better to do what I'm used to and get another rat-trap?

Also, recommendations for a good shoe/pedal combo relatively cheap - thanks!
Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Yes, it is worth it... it only takes a few outings to be fully confident. I recommend Shimano SPD-SL pedals, the 105 are very good. Shoewise, remember they do last a few years, so it's worth investing in something good, rather than some cheapos... Specialized BG shoes are generally good
    left the forum March 2023
  • guy.spartacus
    Are the DHB R1.0 not worth a look? Cycling Plus best buy etc
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Depends how easily you take to new kit.

If your the kind of person who worries about making a change so close to a race then perhaps you might be better of not changing. However if you commit to the change it will make a real difference to your riding, but you will need to do some practice transitions to get used to them.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • guy.spartacus
    Cool - it's my first race so I don't know! It's only a sprint distance triathlon and I will be out 3 or 4 times a week until then

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on some DHB R1.0s and Look Keos

This a good combo?
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Cool - it's my first race so I don't know! It's only a sprint distance triathlon and I will be out 3 or 4 times a week until then

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on some DHB R1.0s and Look Keos

This a good combo?

Look keo are good too...
    left the forum March 2023