Wazza1878
Wazza1878 Posts: 59
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Well fellow pedal pushers
First ride out on the road today:
Distance 11.32 miles
Avg speed 13.7 mph
Max speed 26.6
Is this any good, didn't realise the roads were so bumpy and windy, especially at the Mersey estuary park, still, i fell good for it.
Wazza

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You'll see this a lot - average speeds and max speeds don't mean mcuh out of context.

Best way to find out is to go ride with someone :)

Main thing is - did you enjoy it??!
  • Wazza1878
    Wazza1878 Posts: 59
    I did actually rick, although with no glasses on i did fear a bug hit coming my way, it didn't happen thankfully
    Wazza
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Thumbs up... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    Yes, just enjoy riding your bike, worry about max speed and averages etc later...if you want to that is.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • mark_ed
    mark_ed Posts: 17
    I asked a similar question wazza and got good feedback suggesting that it depends on many factors, wind, terrain, distance ect. main thing, as most will tell you here is enjoy it and keep riding... Specs are a must for me, flys in the eye not good... :lol:
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    mark_ed wrote:
    I asked a similar question wazza and got good feedback suggesting that it depends on many factors, wind, terrain, distance ect. main thing, as most will tell you here is enjoy it and keep riding... Specs are a must for me, flys in the eye not good... :lol:
    It's when they hit the back of your throat... yuck.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    there were loads of little black bobbing flies round liverpool this morn. well done wazza - one good thing about stats is that you can do that ride later in the year and see how you've improved - incidentally have you had a look at the liverpool-chester-liverpool ride there are loads of options to suit your riding. For what its worth first time i got back into bikeling my average was about 13-14 for ages, just keep at it, ride at your own pace and enjoy it all.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Sounds pretty good to me, but is really hard to compare as there are so many things to take into account. The plus point is you now have a good start point and when you re-ride the same route you can compare what you did last time.

Important thing is to make sure you enjoyed yourself and your right as you never really understand how much you are affected by the weather.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Depending on your age and fitness (and terrain), it shouldn't take long to push that up to 15-16-17mph over 20-30miles which is a reasonable pace for a newbie riding solo.
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Hate when bugs hit you in the face, send your hands flying off the bars to wipe the crap it leaves behind and before you know it, you are spread out in a crucifix position on your bike heading towards a lamp post..
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • Gizmo_
    Hate when bugs hit you in the face, send your hands flying off the bars to wipe the crap it leaves behind and before you know it, you are spread out in a crucifix position on your bike heading towards a lamp post..
    Time to practice riding one handed?

Last night there were lots of those white floaty plant-fluff things (not dandelion heads, but similar). I think I rode about half the ride one-eyed...
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    edited May 2012
    I did a 30 mile ride average speed 15.7 and i did a 50 mile ride last night average 14.6.im not bothered about averages TBH and im 47 this year and im more than happy with my distances e.t.c .
    Just go out and enjoy the countryside and forget about averages,your distances and averages will improve with time spent on your bike :)
    Talking about bugs i had a few stuck in my helmet when i got home last night :x

last night's ride...http://connect.garmin.com/activity/176219123
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Truly awful numbers, I suggest giving up now.

Kidding! Going out on your bike is always "good". :)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Don't even ask :D

A mate of mine has been riding for a couple of months and already averages over 20 mph for a 30 mile loop with a bit of climbing. Everyone has an entry point, his is high, he might be able to push it higher and be really quick. He might not.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    rob21 wrote:
    I did a 30 mile ride average speed 15.7 and i did a 50 mile ride last night average 14.6.im not bothered about averages TBH

So why bother quoting them?
  • rob21
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    rob21 wrote:
    I did a 30 mile ride average speed 15.7 and i did a 50 mile ride last night average 14.6.im not bothered about averages TBH

So why bother quoting them?
    Why bother replying to my post???????
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    rob21 wrote:

Sounds painful :shock:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • rob21
    thecrofter wrote:
    rob21 wrote:

Sounds painful :shock:
    it was fly's and a beetle inside the helmet :lol:
  • Gizmo_
    Godders1 wrote:
    Truly awful numbers, I suggest giving up now.

Kidding! Going out on your bike is always "good". :)
    Well said.

You average 0 mph with your a#se on the sofa.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Sounds good to me. As so many have said, getting out there is all that really counts, but you now have a benchmark to aim at next time! Enjoy it!
    FCN 3 / 4