Broke my bike!

martinwitnam
martinwitnam Posts: 439
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
A couple of weeks back now I was out and about. While really straining up a reasonably steep hill I inadvertently snapped the back end of my frame!
Basically the area of my frame where the gear hanger is, snapped off throwing my rear derailleur into my back wheel and stopping my bike rather rapidly. At this point I was about 5 miles from home. I then started my walk home on a set of Look cleats!
I would firstly like to thank all of the people who drove past me in their empty estate cars, 4x4's and cars with trailers! NOT! And the mountain biker who stopped and asked me when he saw the state of my frame if I wanted to sell any of the other parts! (Actually he also had a pair of clip-on TT aero bars! What's that all about?)

I would heartily like to thank the lad who stopped and loaded my bike into the back of his car when I was finally a mile from home. Thanks Phil.
Finally I need to thank my LBS who have got in touch with the bike maker and have got a new (up-graded) frame for me and are currently re-building my bike for me.

Can we fix it?
Yes we can!

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Still, looking back you have to laugh. :roll:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    A couple of weeks back now I was out and about. While really straining up a reasonably steep hill I inadvertently snapped the back end of my frame!
    Basically the area of my frame where the gear hanger is, snapped off throwing my rear derailleur into my back wheel and stopping my bike rather rapidly. At this point I was about 5 miles from home. I then started my walk home on a set of Look cleats!
    I would firstly like to thank all of the people who drove past me in their empty estate cars, 4x4's and cars with trailers! NOT! And the mountain biker who stopped and asked me when he saw the state of my frame if I wanted to sell any of the other parts! (Actually he also had a pair of clip-on TT aero bars! What's that all about?)

I would heartily like to thank the lad who stopped and loaded my bike into the back of his car when I was finally a mile from home. Thanks Phil.
    Finally I need to thank my LBS who have got in touch with the bike maker and have got a new (up-graded) frame for me and are currently re-building my bike for me.

Kudos to Phil for picking you up and a pox on all those ignorant gits who drove past you in your hour of need. :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • martinwitnam
    martinwitnam Posts: 439
    Gotta say I was mildly annoyed at the time, but it was a pleasant enough walk while it lasted!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!