2 random questions... If I may?

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hey folks

Firstly, I have just bought a 'Park chain cleaning tool', however I am unsure of what solution to put in it... Any good recommendations (apart from hot soapy water...)

Second question is about comfort on the bike... Can anyone recommend anything that they use to avoid discomfort in the crotch area on long (ish) rides... I don't wear underwear, just some bib shorts/knickers... however after about 35 miles I begin to get some 'slight' discomfort... it is not really rubbing...

Thx
:)

Comments

• For chain cleaning I use some sort of degreaser (you can buy something bike specific), then wash it off, dry the chain with a cloth, and apply new lube.

If you are new to riding, or new to that seat/bike, time will help, its essential to have decent/comfy shorts which you have. If over a few weeks/month it doesn't improve try changing the seat, I changed my stock Spesh Allez one for a Charge Spoon (about £20) and its perfect.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Use a degreaser in the chain cleaning tool. You can pay over the odds for a "special" one from a LBS etc or just buy a proprietary one form the likes of Halfords

For your "bile" discomfort try an Antacid product like Gavicson.

lol only kidding, what type of discomfort, is it soreness, pressure pain etc, if it is sorenes may a chamois cream or indeed sudocrem etc, if it is pressure pain maybe the type of saddle doesnt suit etc. or it is postioned incorrectly ie tilting up or down (flat is usually best)
    How long have you been riding? may be a case of getting used to it to

Hope this helps
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can't help with #1.

#2 - try some 'chamois cream'.

Lather it on all over your perineum and see the difference :).
  • tipped
    tipped Posts: 27
    Hey folks

Firstly, I have just bought a 'Park chain cleaning tool', however I am unsure of what solution to put in it... Any good recommendations (apart from hot soapy water...)

I bought of these myself a couple of months back and it came with a bottle of Park Tools Citrus Degreaser - which seems to do the job brilliantly.

Won't be paying the extortionate prices to replace it once it's run out mind you.
    Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)
  • alpineaddict
    Hi folks

RE degreaser... I have just bought some of this stuff http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

RE discomfort, I have been riding, on and off, for a couple of years but in no way is that on weekly basis... I am just starting to get back into it and notice the discomfort, as I said, at around 30/35 miles in... The saddle is a Specialized Aliante which I put on as it was better than the San Marco that the bike came with...

I guess it is maybe both soreness and pressure pain... I'll go for the Chamois cream first and see if that helps... Thx folks :)
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Steer clear of bike specific degreasers, they tend to be massively overpriced. (eg £10 for 1 litre)

I use this stuff (£7.20 for 5 litres).

This is for your chain cleaner btw, not for putting in your shorts. :mrgreen: As others have said good quality padded shorts and chamois cream should help greatly with comfort.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Oops, just noticed your post. Oh well you'll know better for next time.
  • alpineaddict
    Godders1 wrote:
    Oops, just noticed your post. Oh well you'll know better for next time.

Just cancelled previous order and purchased this stuff... :)

Thx for saving me some money...
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I use white spirit :( to clean my chain every now and then and baby wipes after each ride.
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ..I used white spirit once, its horrible stuff to use and dispose of!! ...since then I've used Fenwicks FS1 concentrate, which is really great, but in hindsight, pricey!...I'll be following Godders1's link for my next batch - bargain, cheers!!