Phone

2»

Comments

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    bails87 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    I have a HTC Desire. It does the job, although the whole touch-screen-button thing for texting still annoys the cr@p out of me. I feel like I'm learning to bleedin' type again using a screen. The Blackberry is much more efficient for typing.
    Try swiftkey, or download the gingerbread keyboard, both are a huge improvement over the standard one.

+1 for swiftkey
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    If you use giffgaff can you keep your exisiting number?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Opportune thread... as I am due an upgrade from O2...

I like the HTC One-X (currently have an HTC HD2), the Galaxy Nexus is a possible, could probably live with the Galaxy S2 (couldn't believe its nearly a year old now, although some networks took over 6mo to bring it in), have a Blackberry for work, would never pay for one, don't want an iPhone....

Quite like the Nokia Lumina (a Windows phone) but now really into Android ICS on my tablet and probably want the same look and feel across both (also the Android wireless hotspot to tie the two together).

Decisions, decisions..
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • If you use giffgaff can you keep your exisiting number?
    Yes, you can 'port' it in, like with any other change of service provider**.

If you are feeling kind, then you can get a current GiffGaff customer to refer you, then you both gain (there is a payback scheme in place for promotions and introductions). Not sure what the current situation is in respect of this.

And, yes, it is supposed to be truly unlimited data - but there are limits on how the connection is used, so 'tethering' to another device (e.g. using your phone to connect a laptop to the internet) is a 'no no'

** ETA: (just in case you are not sure) in brief the way this works is that you get a number attached to a GiffGaff Sim, then you port your existing number over. The port process is covered in detail on GiffGaff's site, but the main thing is that porting moves your number AND closes your old account at the same time; you do NOT close the old account separately (or you may lose your number completely if it closes before your number gets ported).
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I picked up a Galaxy Nexus as a Desire replacement, but now I'd go with the HTX One X.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Most of the apps for Apple are because their browser is dire, who needs an app to access a newspaper website or a company page anyway? No flash either...

Think that's a tad misleading. iOS Safari has 63% of the mobile browser share and the majority of the Web renders just fine on it (Flash aside which, 99% of the time, I can happily do without on the phone). Newspapers would far rather you downloaded an app with the full newspaper on it so that then they can charge you for doing so (or being more generous to them, so that you can download it to read offline while on the Tube) and companies want you do it so that they have an icon on your phone to remind you to use them. The majority of company apps are fairly pointless and it's quicker to just use their website.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dhope wrote:
    My contract will run out soon.

Looking at a Galaxy S2 probably.

Seems the same spec roughly as an Iphone, only it's a fair bit cheaper. As much as I want access to the apple app store, and as much as I want it to be rubbish, I can't bring myself to pay so much more just for that.
    I figure they're both expensive but the app store makes the difference for me. I ended up just buying a 4S off contract. £500 for the phone but then an £8 contract. Given the use it gets and the fact I could flog it for £300 in a year then it's not obscene.

Hold off on the S2 as the S3 isn't too far off.

Yeah. Not sure I've got £500odd lying around!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dhope wrote:
    My contract will run out soon.

Looking at a Galaxy S2 probably.

Seems the same spec roughly as an Iphone, only it's a fair bit cheaper. As much as I want access to the apple app store, and as much as I want it to be rubbish, I can't bring myself to pay so much more just for that.
    I figure they're both expensive but the app store makes the difference for me. I ended up just buying a 4S off contract. £500 for the phone but then an £8 contract. Given the use it gets and the fact I could flog it for £300 in a year then it's not obscene.

Hold off on the S2 as the S3 isn't too far off.

Yeah. Not sure I've got £500odd lying around!

I used the interest free option they were doing around xmas time. Figured 10x£50 was cheaper than £500 now. Worth a look.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Got the S2,

got that on a £19/per month deal, for free with 300 min, 300 text and Unlimited Internet with T-Mobile.

The phone is great, really fast, the battery isn't a problem if you are prepared to spend £15 on an official extended battery (2000mah vs 1650mah).

Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 is now out officially as well. The Play Store is very good and most apps are cheaper or even free compared to their Apple equivalents.

Most of the apps for Apple are because their browser is dire, who needs an app to access a newspaper website or a company page anyway? No flash either...

Only reasons to get an Apple are their resale value and their accessory range.

That sounds like a good deal... You got the phone for free too. Was it an upgrade or were you a new customer with TMob?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Wait until tomorrow, the S3 is being released at 7 tonight, I suspect that the S2 prices will be dropped in the morning.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017