Turf?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
bit random but....has anyone ever laid any turf?

i've gotta order 80m sq of the stuff
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I have, but I'm not doing yours for you, sorry ;-)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Yes, yes I have.

You will need:

Turf
    Sharp long bladed knife - kitchen knife is best
    long plank/plankss of wood

I terms of laying the preparation of the ground is the key - it needs to be level and fairly solid ground. Use the planks to rest on already laid turf strips to lay the next layer, don't walk on the turf directly. Don't worry if you have tricky bits to cut around - a bit of soil and offcut or grass seed can be used as filler.

Water it and keep on watering it a couple of times a day.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    marvellous!

i was worried that on some lawns ive seen you can see the edges of each roll

im guessing thats because it dried out or something....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If you haven't got a supplier already, this place is pretty good.

Probably best to 'pick it up' at night though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Going to be tricky watering it with a hosepipe ban unless you have a large watering can and lots of time, have helped lay some, it was quite good seeing it build up into a lawn

But obviously only if you live in a stupidly dry area with a drought duuurghhhh
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Did my tiny back garden a few weeks ago

I used turfman.co.uk , delivery was good but I only needed the min amount (20m^2 if I recall)

I wished I'd got the ground a bit flatter as the bumps do show through but on the whole it looks fine.

You do need to water once you've layed it but don't overwater - you are trying to encourage root growth to bed in the turfs, so if it's too wet the roots have no incentive to "dig down" for water. Basically I watered mine once when I put it down and it's rained every day since so I have just left it -seems to have worked - it is growing like billy-oh and needs mowing weekly. overall I'm pretty happy.
    <a>road</a>
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    There is only really one important thing to remember. Green side down.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    When I was a student I had a summer job laying turf. Did Ted Heaths place.

Did a job one Friday afternoon (pub day) on a severe slope, put them down on a curving line around the slope like contour lines on a hill, looked great, it was absolutely pithing down, got completely caked in mud and worms, head to toe, don't lay turf in the rain.

Next day get a call from an irate customer, went to have a look at his 'minor' gripe, the entire lawn had washed down the road! So we collected it all up re-did the lawn put the turf down the slope this time and used 6" nails to stop it moving! Hate to think what happened to his lawn mower for the first time :oops:

So my advice, as you live in Britain, is to use bigger nails :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    bails87 wrote:
    If you haven't got a supplier already, this place is pretty good.

Probably best to 'pick it up' at night though.

haha very good - well played.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Yes, yes I have.

You will need:

Turf
    Sharp long bladed knife - kitchen knife is best
    long plank/plankss of wood

I terms of laying the preparation of the ground is the key - it needs to be level and fairly solid ground. Use the planks to rest on already laid turf strips to lay the next layer, don't walk on the turf directly. Don't worry if you have tricky bits to cut around - a bit of soil and offcut or grass seed can be used as filler.

Water it and keep on watering it a couple of times a day.

This is all spot on. Only thing to add is don't let your partner put fertilizer on it when you are finished, which would kill it and waste all your hard work...

Also, if possible make sure there aren't any bulbs in the ground - nothing more annoying than plants growing through your perfect lawn (apart from the above).