Please help re: Mountain Biking in Vancouver

MarcEC
MarcEC Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Hi,

I wonder if you can help me. I am a Brit, currently living in LA..., having spent time living in Scotland I crave a bit of real deal mountain biking. Next week I have to go to Canada to work and also to re-new my US Work Permit.., this gives me the enforced luxury of being stranded in Vancouver or Sascatoon. Of course I read about BC all the time, but my question is this...., should I be stuck in Downtown Vancouver without a car or means of Transport, is there any good riding, within peddling distance of the Downtown area?

I really appreciate your advice. I know some people on here will have the answer.

Big thanks fellas!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ask on PinkBike they will know better.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    Get the ferry, that will take you to the northshore. Probably easily busable to the start of something bike-worthy once you're there. Haven't been there for about 10 years mind..
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Got enough time for a day trip?

Public transport up the highway -> Whistler ;) (about 2 hours)

Though not sure what public transport options there are for that, though there are various shuttle services especially from the airport. And don't know if Whistler is open for summer season yet.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    deadkenny wrote:
    And don't know if Whistler is open for summer season yet.

I think this link should work. If it does, then I'm guessing.... NO :lol:
    roundhouse2.jpg
  • Anonymous
    :D yeah. They need a Megavalanche. Though they can do that in summer anyway as they've got the glacier.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    the buses have bike racks on the front of them in vancouver so you will be able to get around.. you dont need to catch a ferry to to north van you go over lions gate bridge and you on the north shore of van.. there is awesome riding on frome ,seymore and cypress..
    you have to take the ferry to the island or the sunshine coast..

look these guys up they would point you in the right direction.. a mate of mine worked for them a few years ago.. and i know riders who have used them they pretty good.

whistler probably wont be ridealbe yet, wellt he bike park some of the trails in the valley might be.. but squamish will be ridable now and there's some amazing riding to be had there and it only little over an hour out of van,
  • MarcEC
    MarcEC Posts: 3
    Thank you so much for the help guys! I am excited
  • Anonymous
    Just checking you're okay as there's been an incident on Cypress.