Giant Trance 3 2008 top pivot rocker arm/linkage help

rob.read
rob.read Posts: 6
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
last night i went out for a play due to the good weather.
unfortunately when i got home i noticed some play in the top pivot rocker arm. on closer inspection the middle bearings that bolt through the frame had completely collapsed. i have spent most of this evening trying to remove the outer part of the bearing from the pivot rocket arm with no success.
i have resigned myself to the fact that i need to replace these, the problem i have is that i can't find anywhere online that sells these for a 2008 Giant Trance 3.
i would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction please.
sorry its a little long winded.
many thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try this guy - a bearing nut. Excellent quality.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/katecbikes
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rob.read
    thanks for the links cooldad but i have the bearings already, it's the pivot rocker arm that i need to source as i can't get the outer part of the bearing out of the rocker arm
  • desmojen
    desmojen Posts: 136
    The same e bay seller (Katec) that does the bearings does removal tools which will get your bearing shell out. Alternatively, new rockers are available if you want to spend the money. Look here - http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... oryID=1133

Jen.
  • rob.read
    Hi desmojen, thank you for the suggestions but i had already looked at those rockers but they are for an 06-07 Trance and differ to those fitted to the 08-10 Trance. i also looked at the bearing removal tool but the remaining shell of the bearing is hidden from access by the lip on the inside of the rocker arm and the centre of the bearing and all the internals have completed shattered of gone and not leaving anything for a tool to get purchase on.
    thanks again for your help and suggestion thou, it is much appreciated.
  • desmojen
    Aah, I see. That's a tad inconvenient!
    It might be wprth contacting the shop to see if they can get you the one you need. Other than that, I think a bit of careful work with a Dremel is going to be your only option....

Jen.
  • rob.read
    thanks again Jen, it is a little problematic but if it all goes pete tong then it's an excuse to start looking at another bike!
  • green room
    green room Posts: 51
    Regarding the bearings, I don't know the number you need but BETD keep a large and various stock. Now you just have to get the other one out..... If you are going to have to resort to a new rocker arm at worst, I would definitely try to get a fine screwdriver or similar under the base of the outer race and work it all around. Never thought of dremelling, good idea.

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... 28Pairs%29
  • desmojen
    Yeah, if you put a little grinding stone in the Dremel you concentrate on one area to thin it right down. The combination of heat and thinning makes it quite easy to snap the race after a while (it will take a few minutes). If you do it in two places and then tap it with a punch and hammer the race should fall out in two pieces quite easily.
    I've done it on motorcycle headraces a few times ;)

Jen.
  • rob.read
    Success!!! with a little persuasion and some help from a guy at work, we managed to get the old outer race out and the new bearings in. took it out for a test ride yesterday (with a few steep technical descents) and all was good. the bike held together with no lateral movement. so thank you very much for all your help.
    the only down side to this is that i no longer have an excuse for a new bike! boo!