It's getting serious. Computer + Strava + HR + Cadence

1981. Posts: 270
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
So, the bugs bitten hard. I'm now the proud owner of a Ribble and am getting out each week for a couple of hours using Strava app to record my rides.

I'd like to get into a bit more (see: falling down the rabbit hole) and will be getting myself a turbo trainer, so my question is which cycling computer is decent, mainly I'd like it to record:

Heart rate
Cadence
Speed + total miles (although Strava does a lot of this)
Be able to integrate/send data to my Strava profile
Plus work and record when I'm on turbo sessions

Does anything like this exist?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Comments

Yoinks. Apologies - shall revert to search.
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    What ribble did you get and what do you think of it so far?
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    Get the V meter.

All you ever need
  • If you want a computer that is great with strava and will record everying on a turbo go for a Garmin (500 or above). The speed and cadence sensor (one combined unit) works from the back wheel, unlike a lot of other computers and so will record speed and distance whilst on the turbo.

Of course they are bit more expensive than other computers, but I have just got one having gone from a non garmin and I absolutely love it.
  • mikeabanks
    mikeabanks Posts: 116
    The Garmin edge 500 meets your requirements. Amazon doing it for £199 at the moment and if you are near a Cyclesurgy they will price match.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Heart-Mo ... 268&sr=8-2
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Try Handtec before Amazon.
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    Just echo what the guys above say really.

Get a Garmin with speed cadence and HRM strap. One of the benefits if this is that you can record speed from the rear wheel when you are on the turbo - most computers are designed for front wheel mounting (though I dare say you can mount them at the back.

*If* you get a turbo trainer (I recently did and it has been a god send in the rain) then you could do worse than looking at something like trainerroad.com - it costs about £6.50 / month but you can try it free for 30 days. I am using it at the moment and, for me, it definitely makes me more likely to train and to train hard. Plus, even without a fancy VR turbo trainer you get loads of details of you training ride.
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
    WOW! Thanks for all the replies.

@houndlegs. I got the Ribble Auduax http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... IBBFRAW220 although mine was from ebay for just shy of £300. Absolutely love it – although I'm more used to riding mid-80s steel, so anything new feels like I'm riding a Ferrari.

@Rule74Please. I laughed so hard on the train into work at the V meter – perhaps I should draw one on the back of a mini-ceral box and be done with it!

@JustinLeeAtkinson @mikeabanks @ nathancom @ t5nel I had a look at a Garmin today (although Condor's was a little more expensive that £199!) – definitely have a look at this as an option. Have also been looking at http://www.wahoofitness.com/ seems to fit directly into my iPhone and might play nice with Strava. Although I wouldn't mount it on my handlebars – so might seem a bit pointless if I'm not getting any feedback whilst on the road.

Again, thanks for all your help – very much appreciated.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Bryton 20 looks good too. £120 for basic GPS tracking and HRM. The cadence sensor is another £30 which also has a speed sensor for turbo work. Mind you, I have never been convinced by folks tracking 'mileage' on a turbo as a 1 hour interval session is exactly what it says it is.

The Bryton is on my list for when finances permit (just spent all the spare money on some nice shorts :) ).
  • t5nel
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    The Bryton 20 looks good too. £120 for basic GPS tracking and HRM. The cadence sensor is another £30 which also has a speed sensor for turbo work. Mind you, I have never been convinced by folks tracking 'mileage' on a turbo as a 1 hour interval session is exactly what it says it is.

Totally agree that mileage figures can be a bit bogus from a trainer. However, if you want to use some of the whizzy software like trainerroad then you need to get speed data off the trainer. This is how it structures the intervals.
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
  • Just had a look at trainerroad looks great, thanks for the recommendation t5nel. However, you have to fork out for an ant+ usb stick, another £30 after I have just forked out for a Garmin!
  • t5nel
    Just had a look at trainerroad looks great, thanks for the recommendation t5nel. However, you have to fork out for an ant+ usb stick, another £30 after I have just forked out for a Garmin!

Yep...I thought lots of the Garmins came bundled with these (I know my watch did) as there is no option to connect via cable. TBH if you have a garmin, it is worth having the stick...

I never normally buy or pay for anything on a whim but I am giving trainerroad a try... Not sure if I will be doing it in another 12 months but I'll see how it goes...
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
  • Well I like the look of trainerroad, so have signed up. And just purchased a Suunto Movestick Mini instead of the Garmin Ant+ stick. Haven't tried it yet, but I understand (from trainerroad) that it works exactly the same as the Garmin stick.

The benefits are that is is tiny in size compared to the Garmin, so doesn't jut out of your laptop. And a bit cheaper (£25.00 inc postage from Amazon).

I ike the idea of following the trainerroad plans, but they start with base training, and dont recommend starting with the power training plans. Whereas of course at this time of the year I have done base, and as I am experimenting with the odd race I want power sessions not base.