Stephen Roche

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Don't know too much about him as a person, but I think he comes accross as a bit of a bell-end here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/stephen-roche-were-trying-to-upgrade-the-image-of-cycling

Especially the bottom half, whats he wittering on about? Hasn't he got something better to do or more important to whine about? Jeez...

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    edited May 2012
    He can't stand vanity in sport of riders having flesh on show.... :roll:

tumblr_le3m5ayThg1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Nicolas_Roche_1442377c.jpg
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Sorry, but I agree with pretty much all he says.
  • LeicesterLad
    Simmotino wrote:
    Sorry, but I agree with pretty much all he says.

Not about disagreeing with his points, but perhaps he could think of something better to do with his UCI job title, no?
  • Simmotino
    If he's there with the remit to shape the future of the sport at professional level (irrespective of what his business card says) then these would, in my opinion, fall within that remit, so I don't necessarily see that they are a waste of time.

I'm sure there are other areas that could do with addressing, but they may a) also be on his list but not part of this interview, or b) being handled by others.

Either way, at least someone is actually *doing* something (or at least trying to) at UCI! :lol:
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    What a f'ing nitwit Roche is ...

Who cares if the riders undo their jerseys ... I wonder how much the UCI pay him to come up with this guff ...

The sooner a breakaway happens the better ...
  • LeicesterLad
    Simmotino wrote:
    If he's there with the remit to shape the future of the sport at professional level (irrespective of what his business card says) then these would, in my opinion, fall within that remit, so I don't necessarily see that they are a waste of time.

I'm sure there are other areas that could do with addressing, but they may a) also be on his list but not part of this interview, or b) being handled by others.

Either way, at least someone is actually *doing* something (or at least trying to) at UCI! :lol:

Well I hope he will start by giving his son a bolocking.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Who cares if the riders undo their jerseys ... I wonder how much the UCI pay him to come up with this guff ...

Everyone zips up if they're going to win, so it would appear to matter to some people.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Simmotino

I would imagine the sponsors are probably quite interested and, given there is something of a sponsorship deficiency in the sport at large if observers are to be believed, that two man break getting all the stage coverage that have both unzipped their jerseys meaning you can't see the sponsors' logos *could* have an impact on that.

Agreed, it is a little ott perhaps, but the essence of the point is there.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    Don't know too much about him as a person, but I think he comes accross as a bit of a bell-end here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/stephen-roche-were-trying-to-upgrade-the-image-of-cycling

Especially the bottom half, whats he wittering on about? I haven't got something better to do or more important to whine about

FTFY
  • LeicesterLad

Especially the bottom half, whats he wittering on about? I haven't got something better to do or more important to whine about

FTFY

:roll: This is a 'forum'. That is what its here for. I don't get paid by the UCI to do it. Looking at your stats I see you have made a valued contribution to the pro-race forum...
  • BillyMansell

FTFY

:roll: This is a 'forum'. That is what its here for. I don't get paid by the UCI to do it. Looking at your stats I see you have made a valued contribution to the pro-race forum...
    Please please, put your toys back in your pram (or get a responsible adult to help you).

Hardly advisable to talk of valued contributions when you start a thread with such a d!ckhead comment, is it?
  • LeicesterLad

FTFY

Please please, put your toys back in your pram (or get a responsible adult to help you).

Hardly advisable to talk of valued contributions when you start a thread with such a d!ckhead comment, is it?

:lol: Always shows the class of a guy when he resorts to 'responsible adult' name calling.
  • BillyMansell

FTFY

:lol: Always shows the class of a guy when he resorts to 'responsible adult' name calling.
    Indeed, you resorted to name calling, I referred to the comment of name calling. Hoist by your own petard,
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well at last they're cracking down on unzipped jerseys.

All the years of my mates taking the pee out of cycling for their over long zips and amounts of vests on show.

This will make the sport lily white in one fell swoop.

Great work uci. It's just been one vest scandal after another....
  • Yeah, getting up slowly after crashes is clearly the unspoken cancer eating away at the heart of our sport ... reminds me of a comment my mum (bless her) made after seeing a crash on TV coverage of the TDF: 'Well they ride TOO DAMN CLOSE don't they!'
  • LeicesterLad
    Yeah, getting up slowly after crashes is clearly the unspoken cancer eating away at the heart of our sport ... reminds me of a comment my mum (bless her) made after seeing a crash on TV coverage of the TDF: 'Well they ride TOO DAMN CLOSE don't they!'

Remember: They shouldn't acknowledge a broken shoulder untill they have started riding the bicycle again. UCI rules.
  • Simmotino
    Yeah, getting up slowly after crashes is clearly the unspoken cancer eating away at the heart of our sport ... reminds me of a comment my mum (bless her) made after seeing a crash on TV coverage of the TDF: 'Well they ride TOO DAMN CLOSE don't they!'

Remember: They shouldn't acknowledge a broken shoulder untill they have started riding the bicycle again. UCI rules.

That's not what he's saying, and you know it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    At crashes, riders fall and spend five minutes on the ground straightening up their shirt and tie and making sure everything is okay before getting back on the bike again," he says. "You should be getting back on as fast as possible and then realise your shoulder is broken.

What utter complete b0ll0cks that is. He cannot be serious surely? I don't like the guy at all but am I the only person in the world that thinks whichever pr1cks picked up Vinokourov when he had a broken pelvis or put Chris Horner back in his bike when he did nt know where he even was should have been at least heavily fined or even banned. That is simply not acceptable!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Bizarre set of priorities for change there Stephen. Perhaps creating a minor controversy in order to promote a new autobiography...
  • LeicesterLad
    Jonathan Vaughter on twitter saying 'Sponsors want jerseys zipping up' is a load of bull and that riders clearly get hot.

Anyway I would probably put rider welfare ahead of sponsors IMO.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Simmotino wrote:

I would imagine the sponsors are probably quite interested and, given there is something of a sponsorship deficiency in the sport at large if observers are to be believed, that two man break getting all the stage coverage that have both unzipped their jerseys meaning you can't see the sponsors' logos *could* have an impact on that.

Agreed, it is a little ott perhaps, but the essence of the point is there.

I assumed it was a given that thw winner zips up if they have the energy or aren't duking it out for the win ... But on a climb, who gives a monkeys?
  • Simmotino
    But on a climb, who gives a monkeys?

Oh, I don't know, the sponsors perhaps? :roll:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Simmotino wrote:
    But on a climb, who gives a monkeys?

Oh, I don't know, the sponsors perhaps? :roll:

And as we ve just read - that's wrong

keep up buddy!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    ddraver wrote:
    At crashes, riders fall and spend five minutes on the ground straightening up their shirt and tie and making sure everything is okay before getting back on the bike again," he says. "You should be getting back on as fast as possible and then realise your shoulder is broken.

What utter complete b0ll0cks that is. He cannot be serious surely? I don't like the guy at all but am I the only person in the world that thinks whichever pr1cks picked up Vinokourov when he had a broken pelvis or put Chris Horner back in his bike when he did nt know where he even was should have been at least heavily fined or even banned. That is simply not acceptable!

I think he just picked a bad (ie stupid) example to illustrate his point.

AFAIK, Vino was "walked out" of the trees under the instruction of the race doctor who reckoned it was less risky than leaving him in there to wait for the appropriate equipment - there was a post-incident interview with the doctor on CN or somesuch.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Simmotino
    Forget it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    You'd nearly think he had a book coming out....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Hmm. One day you read about all the terrifying stuff that happened in the UCI-organised Tour of Korea, the next day you read about a UCI representative focusing on the really important stuff, like riders having their jerseys unzipped.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    Re jerseys, lighten up lad. It cools them down and the ladies love it ; )

Re crashes. I agree a little here as often times we have seen big-guns paced for ages to reach contact. But then it kind of sucks losing a shed-load of time from crashes.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Good point afx.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    ...that riders clearly get hot.

It's interesting that towards the end of Roche's career, the UCI tried to make hardshell helmets compulsary. The riders protested saying they were too hot to wear on mountain stages. They now of course wear them all the time, maybe this is partly down to improved design? Wonder if in 20 years from now it will be seen as quite odd that riders unzipped their jerseys when it got hot.