Lighter weight tyres with good puncture protection ?

Sunderland Supporter
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Ive pretty much always used continental gatorskins and as far as puncture protection goes, Ive found them to be bulletproof. Only niggle is that they are quite a weighty tyre, anyone able to suggest a lighter weight tyre that would result in less rotational weight, yet have good puncture protection track record ?
Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.

Comments

• bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    Ultremo DD's are worth a look.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Continental GP4000s
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Rigged wrote:
    Continental GP4000s
    +1. Just bought them and they seem light and roll really well, and they should give me decent puncture protection.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Durano s
  • Bazzowmb
    Bazzowmb Posts: 227
    I don't think you can go wrong with Michelin Krylion's
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Rubino Pro 3's - more puncture protection than the Michelin Pro 3's - and a plusher more supple ride than the GP4000s. They're a perfect do-it-all ''in-betweeny'' tyre - and they're cheap.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have the Schwalbe Durano S on my summer wheels but have only tried them for 20 miles so far (as I put them on when they declared a drought and its been raining ever since). They are nice and light though and have a dual compound for extra grip in the corners.

They are also available in a variety of colours if that is important to you - I have black.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Rigged wrote:
    Continental GP4000s

+1
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    smidsy wrote:
    I have the Schwalbe Durano S on my summer wheels but have only tried them for 20 miles so far (as I put them on when they declared a drought and its been raining ever since). They are nice and light though and have a dual compound for extra grip in the corners.

They are also available in a variety of colours if that is important to you - I have black.

I've got Durano S on my Ribble - I commute on it about 8 months of the year. They are fine but slightly cautious for a summer only tyre.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Rolf

Its not that they are cautious just that they are on my sumer wheels (as they came on them) so seemed unreasonable to swap them without using them. Even for me that would be extravagent ;-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    smidsy wrote:
    Rolf

Its not that they are cautious just that they are on my sumer wheels (as they came on them) so seemed unreasonable to swap them without using them. Even for me that would be extravagent ;-)

That's fair enough. TBH, I'd probably have got Durano or Durano plus for the Ribble but I wanted to buy from High on Bikes and they only had S at the time. And they've been fine so I'm glad how it turned out. All I'm really saying is that in your shoes I wouldn't use the tyres as an excuse not to go out in the rain!

Infact, the only thing I don't like about them is the white lettering going brown near the rolling surface. A bit irritating is that - I like a tidy bike!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    What's up with the gatorskins? Folders are what, 15gms (~220gms) heavier in 23mm than GP4000. If you're happy with them otherwise...