Boardman Bottom Bracket Issue

Neal84
Neal84 Posts: 12
edited May 2012 in The workshop
Hi All,

I took my Boardman Hybrid Comp back for its 6 week service to Halfords last night. It's done 350 miles over the last 6 weeks including 40 in the wet on Saturday (to the 'big ride' and back). On my way to work in the morning I noticed a noise from the crack so when I took it in after work I asked them to check the bottom bracket. I've just had a call to say it needs replacing as 'it smells of burnt metal' and they have to order a new part (with out me bike for a few days now :( My question is should I be worried that this has failed so quickly and should I expect this to be a major issue in the lifetime of this bike? I don't want to have to go back every 6 weeks for them to keep replacing bits! Any one else had this problem?

Thank

Neal

Comments

• sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    you are not alone, have a look here:- viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12796558
    got myself the Cannondale CAADX last September, no problems yet
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Hope they're replacing it under warranty.

Tell you what though, you'd have had to be going some to make it smell of burnt metal. This happened to me on my Tricross: complained of creaking, the LBS replaced the bottom bracket (at my cost), the creaking was back within a few days. Turned out to be nothing to do with the bottom bracket, and with hindsight I'm pretty sure I discarded a perfectly good one. My advice would always be to wash the bike thoroughly, lube it properly and see if the noise is still there. If it is, then try things like greasing the seatpost, spraying the pedals with GT85 etc. The number of different bits of the bike capable of making a noise never ceases to amaze me. Especially after they've had a bit of a drenching.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What BB is it?

If the BB30 as on the Boardman CX then take the cranks off, put some grease on the shaft, grease around the bearings, put back together and do up F'ing tight.

My BB on my CX went very noisy, Halfords replaced it (after 50 miles), it started creaking again a week later, I did the above myself and it's been fine for 2500 miles and a winter + spring of all weather commuting.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Neal84
    Hey guys sorry for the late reply. Halfords replace the BB and the creaking problem has gone away. They could not tell me why it failed so soon. Upon collection they noted that the chain also needs replacing soon as its worn! I tried to argue that this should not need replacing so soon and if it is worn then it has something to do with the fact the did not index the gears properly and the BB being faulty. That was like talking to a brick wall so I made sure it was noted that i wasn't happy about is. I have since fired off a strongly worded email to Halfords customer service detailing all the issues I have had and I await a reponce. I am right in thinking 350 miles is far too soon for a chain to wear right? It has been kept clean and lubed although the gear indexing has been far from perfect (really need to learn ho to sort this myself!).

Also the front chainring had some signs of scoring after two weeks when I took it back to get the indexing sorted I told Halfords about it and was told it is normal?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Neal84 wrote:
    I am right in thinking 350 miles is far too soon for a chain to wear right?

Yep. It shouldn't be worn at all at that distance, and if someone said that to me I'd ask them to prove it.
    Neal84 wrote:
    It has been kept clean and lubed although the gear indexing has been far from perfect (really need to learn ho to sort this myself!).

Also the front chainring had some signs of scoring after two weeks when I took it back to get the indexing sorted I told Halfords about it and was told it is normal?

You've hit the nail on the head with the "learn to service it yourself" comment. Sounds like you've got a bad Halfords, so don't use them. Most bike servicing really isn't that hard.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Don't worry about the chainring though.

But yes, learn to index the gears yourself, pretty easy to do, all you need is a screwdriver and allen key.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Neal84
    Thanks for the comments guys. I think I'll drop my local halford from now on and just do the service bits myself. A guy at work has a chain measuring device of some sort as he is into racing and covers a few hundred miles a week. Hopefully this will disprove the monkeys in Halfords. In the mean time I've sent a strongly worded letter to their head office! Thanks again!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Neal84 wrote:
    Thanks for the comments guys. I think I'll drop my local halford from now on and just do the service bits myself. A guy at work has a chain measuring device of some sort as he is into racing and covers a few hundred miles a week. Hopefully this will disprove the monkeys in Halfords. In the mean time I've sent a strongly worded letter to their head office! Thanks again!

You don't need a chain measuring 'device', just use a bog standard rule.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • billyballs
    billyballs Posts: 41
    i used to ride a 45 lb butchers bike with a basket full of meat for 5 years and the chain never wore out . you must be towing a caravan to wreck a chain in 350 miles.