London to Cambridge on a Fixed Wheel

CycleNinja
CycleNinja Posts: 11
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys,

I've just signed up for the London to Cambridge ride and was wondering if anyone has done this on a fixed wheel or is it just not worth the effort?

Basically I've got three options:
1. Use my fixed (Specialized Langster) ... this would be my preferred option.
2. Use my steel hard tail with some slicks
3. Borrw a friends hybrid.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    CycleNinja wrote:
    Hey guys,

I've just signed up for the London to Cambridge ride and was wondering if anyone has done this on a fixed wheel or is it just not worth the effort?

Basically I've got three options:
    1. Use my fixed (Specialized Langster) ... this would be my preferred option.
    2. Use my steel hard tail with some slicks
    3. Borrw a friends hybrid.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Should be OK - it's reasonably flat. There's the odd hill towards the beginning, but if you're used to fixie then you should be fine.

Depends how comfortable you are riding fixie?
  • CycleNinja
    Thanks Rick. First fixie ... actually first road bike I've owned so a bit of a learning curve all round. Been riding MTB's for the last 15years. Just picked up the fixie for a short 5mile commute.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    CycleNinja wrote:
    Thanks Rick. First fixie ... actually first road bike I've owned so a bit of a learning curve all round. Been riding MTB's for the last 15years. Just picked up the fixie for a short 5mile commute.

To be honest, if it were me, I'd just say f*ck it and give it a go.

I vaguely remember one hill being big enough and steep enough to warrant moving out of the big ring, but that was more or less the only time.

Worst case you walk it up a hill and unclip on the way down, right?
  • CycleNinja
    Yeah thats what I was thinking ... think I might just bite the bullet and give it a go. Worst case I get to learn the joys and pains of a fixie. Cheers!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Should be doable, I rode the Norwich100 ride last year on a SS and got around in 5 1/2 hrs. Fixie will be a bit harder as you can't coast on the descents but the distance is shorter so balances out. A 70in gear would be the best compromise.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's only 60 miles - so not massive distance - plenty of club riders ride fixed especially in the winter and 60 miles should be fine. I guess it depends how fit you are and what distances you're used to.

Of the three options - i would go fixed. But I love my fixed wheel.
  • CycleNinja
    Thanks guys, general fitness is really good at the moment but no idea how It will transfer to cycling specifically, I hope to get upto a reasonable level.

I guess my main worry was that I would be stuck walking the distance with some long steep hills but it sounds like it should not be the case.
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    I saw a guy on roller-blades when I did it a few years back.

There are definitely no long steep hills!
  • CasperCCC
    CasperCCC Posts: 14
    I think you'll be fine. No huge hills - it's a pretty nice ride. Last time I did it, my brother's bike had broken and so had to borrow my mate's single speed. First time he'd ever ridden single speed, and there were a few hills he didn't much enjoy, but he still made it. If you're used to fixed then I don't think it'd be a problem.

(I live in Cambridge and spend most of my time trying to find hills. It's not easy...)
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    Essex Man wrote:
    I saw a guy on roller-blades when I did it a few years back.

There are definitely no long steep hills!
    yep, there was what appeared to be a whole team of them last year. They were making good progress as well I seem to remember.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    That looks like quite a nice ride... does anyone know the route?

Tempted...
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • kluens
    kluens Posts: 5
    I've been doing the odd 100km on my fixie while the road bike gets repaired.

If you get surprised by a hill and the legs can't keep up you can always just 'Hovis' your way down...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mq59ykPnAE