Leveson inquiry & Team Sky's future

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited May 2012 in Pro race
With Leveson inquiry/select committee reporting that Rupert Murdoch is not a fit person to run major corporation, then how long till the Murdochs' are divested of their 39% share of B Sky B and how long till Sky pull out of sponsoring cycling? The team was James Murdoch's project.

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Think you'll find the sponsorship has the backing of the full board.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    They've got a potential TdF winner/multiple stage race & Olympics winner and a world champion/potential Olympic RR champion and a probable Olympic track champion as well as several potential tour stage & classics winners in their team. Pulling out now would be a ridiculous decision on so many levels.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    It's a European PR project, not just English/British. They want the Italians (particularly) and others aware of the brand. It's unlikely to change.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Dave_1 wrote:
    With Leveson inquiry/select committee reporting that Rupert Murdoch is not a fit person to run major corporation, then how long till the Murdochs' are divested of their 39% share of B Sky B and how long till the Sky pull out of sponsoring cycling? The team was James Murdoch's project.

I think you've been reading the guardian too much Dave...MPs can p1ss and moan as much as they like, they know that we know they we re oh so happy to let it happen. It's like an argument in the commuting section, nothing will change!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    johnfinch wrote:
    They've got a potential TdF winner/multiple stage race & Olympics winner and a world champion/potential Olympic RR champion and a probable Olympic track champion as well as several potential tour stage & classics winners in their team. Pulling out now would be a ridiculous decision on so many levels.
    Tell that to Bob Stapleton.
  • dave_1
    johnfinch wrote:

that's the kind illogical sponsor pull out that I was wondering about
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Dave_1 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

that's the kind illogical sponsor pull out that I was wondering about

HTC have stupid amounts of money and are looking to get involved in something more glamorous - namely Formula 1.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    The remaining 61% is sure to still be quite a sum of money. BSkyB were probably not relying on Murdoch cash that much. Hopefully.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Seems that they need all the good PR they can get ? I'm sure they will be in for as long as they've signed for at the very least.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    With Leveson inquiry/select committee reporting that Rupert Murdoch is not a fit person to run major corporation, then how long till the Murdochs' are divested of their 39% share of B Sky B and how long till the Sky pull out of sponsoring cycling? The team was James Murdoch's project.

I think you've been reading the guardian too much Dave...MPs can p1ss and moan as much as they like, they know that we know they we re oh so happy to let it happen. It's like an argument in the commuting section, nothing will change!

Yeah, this, pretty much, The committee can piss and moan, nodoubt some payback directed at The Dark Lord after the expenses scandal, but they've no power to actually do anything....
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    RichN95 wrote:
    HTC have stupid amounts of money and are looking to get involved in something more glamorous - namely Formula 1.

Don't they have some sort of tie in with Jeremy Lin, the new sensation (or 5 minute wonder depending on your view) of the New York Knicks? He has Taiwanese parents I think, and they like the national identity bit. But yes, clearly HTC have much bigger fish to fry than cycling.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    james murdoch is a cycling fan, but his involvement has been way overblown. It's a Jeremy Darroch project.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dougzz wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Don't they have some sort of tie in with Jeremy Lin, the new sensation (or 5 minute wonder depending on your view) of the New York Knicks? He has Taiwanese parents I think, and they like the national identity bit. But yes, clearly HTC have much bigger fish to fry than cycling.

Maybe. Someone at work is married to someone quite high up at HTC UK told me the reason they moved out of cycling was to get into F1 in 2013. Also they thought the sun shone out of Cav's backside but his leaving wasn't a deal breaker and her husband owns one of Greg Henderson's old team issue Scotts.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    hopefully the money stays with the team
  • dave_1
    If Jeremy Daroch is the person behind the Sky cycling team (I thought it was only James Murdoch), then likely it is safe, but it looks like James Murdoch loses some influence on the board as of last month. Select Committees are of course toothless* so perhaps this is all nothing to worry about. Out of interest,

James Murdoch
    Non-Executive Director
    James Murdoch was appointed as a Director of the Company on 13 February 2003. He served as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Company between November 2003 and December 2007 and as Non-Executive Chairman between December 2007 and April 2012.

http://corporate.sky.com/about_sky/our_ ... ment/board

* edit-maybe not so toothless News Corp and BSkyB shares rise on talk Rupert Murdoch may sell stake in satellite broadcasting company
    http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/news-c ... 13956.html
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Sky have just announced a new 4 year deal, so there isn't likely to be an immediate change at least.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    And now the culture, media and sport select committee can't agree when they discussed the 'fit for purpose' comment;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/ma ... sh-murdoch

Politicians calling the Murdochs not fit for purpose is the pot calling the kettle black and it was apparent from the announcement yesterday that the committee members were primarily interested in getting their faces on telly to preach that they are holier than thou. They are such a bunch of self-serving tossers.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    And now the culture, media and sport select committee can't agree when they discussed the 'fit for purpose' comment;

Politicians calling the Murdochs not fit for purpose is the pot calling the kettle black and it was apparent from the announcement yesterday that the committee members were primarily interested in getting their faces on telly to preach that they are holier than thou. They are such a bunch of self-serving tossers.

You have to love the Labour MPs attacking the Murdoch's, funnily they never said anything when they were in power and The Sun was on their side....
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,188
    edited May 2012

You have to love the Labour MPs attacking the Murdoch's, funnily they never said anything when they were in power and The Sun was on their side....

Tom Watson was more intent on making a name for himself an showing how 'tough' he was than in establishing the truth. He insisted on asking Murdoch Snr questions that Murdoch Jnr was saying he was best placed to ask. He ended up achieving the impossible and making people feel sympathy for Rupert Murdoch!!

Anyway, BC sponsorship deal also confirmed on BC site here http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/bc20120502-about-bc-news-Sky-extends-partnership-with-British-Cycling-post-Olympics-to-run-until-the-end-of-2016-0

EDIT Just to check, the articles aren't quite expicit on this but I assume the increased term of the sponsorship does include Team Sky as well as the BC sponsorship? Both articles make reference to Team Sky but I thought that would be run as a seperate entity?
  • Pross
    That Louise Mensch would get my vote no matter what party she represented ;)
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    If the curse on Western Society no longer have any official dealings with Team Sky then I shan't feel anymore so compromised following Team Sky as I do now.
    It would nice to think it was clean money behind the team. :wink:
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Pross wrote:

The Devil has many guises :!:
  • Pross
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I'd be perfectly prepared to sucumb to temptation even if it means burning in hell!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Pross wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I'd be perfectly prepared to sucumb to temptation even if it means burning in hell!

Hells Yeah! I'm with Pross!

louise_mensch.jpg

DID YOU ORDER PHONE HACKING DDRAVER!!!

T'would make me sound like Gary Neville after a Chelsea Goal!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver