Bar tape....a question of vanity....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I am not sure what to do re bar tape:

IMG_2391.jpg

I quite like the bike without tape and find no issues with hand to bar traction in the wet. However, I was thinking of wrapping in cotton/cloth tape.....

Should I? and what colour?

I am also considering a frame/top tube protector after the recent powder coat job.....

I can't decide!!!!!!

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    It looks good without though & if you have no issues with grip then why change it?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Looking very nice! I'd be tempted to leather it - or Charge pretend leather it.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    From memory, cloth bar tape looks tatty fairly quickly; leather would look better with the slightly tarty/tasteful look.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im going for brown leather - when i have finally built my vintage

go for leather...i know you wanna
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • My nice bike has carbon fibre-effect bar tape (white of course) - to prove I can take this p*ss out of myself as well. Not sure it would suit your bike though.
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • I put white bar tape on my commuter and it looked really cool for about 15 minutes.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I don't like bars without bar-tape. Looks a bit try-hard.

I reckon either black cork or some really bright and minging multi-coloured stuff like from the 90s.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    doooo it

426652481_eccd9a9da9.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gtvlusso

Surely it looks a bit 'didn't bother'....

I bought a top tube pad in black....sick of the paint getting damaged by the parking loops and lock.

I like the idea of brown leather, but the cost looks prohibitive....it may have to be synthetic! How about brown cotton with shellac?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    mudcow007 wrote:
    doooo it

426652481_eccd9a9da9.jpg

That just doesn't look like a bike that someone rides on a regular basis, the seat angle is weird for handlebars that low.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    That looks like you'd find your clockweights in your breast pocket after a quick ride....

Back on topic, the Charge synthetic leather tape looks really good (and feels really good too) at a fraction of the price of Brooks leather.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    doooo it

426652481_eccd9a9da9.jpg

That just doesn't look like a bike that someone rides on a regular basis, the seat angle is weird for handlebars that low.

Not to mention lack of mudguards, rack, rear brake and GEARS! :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    notsoblue wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    doooo it

426652481_eccd9a9da9.jpg

Doesn't look a million miles from the Cooper Reims I have. I don't like the track bars that come with it, they're just not suited to the rest of the bike, especially the 5 speed hub that's more for cruising about than being on the drops constantly.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    gtvlusso » Tue May 1, 2012 3:28 pm

clarkey cat wrote:

Surely it looks a bit 'didn't bother'....

often the same thing
  • Simple. Orange Lizardskins.
  • scrumpydave
    scrumpydave Posts: 143
    Charge Plunger grips. Perfect compromise if you like a nice clean bar. I did this for a while and they look REALLY good on a fixie/SS.
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    ok, I'm going to say it

black.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Black bar tape and a front wheel to match the rear and it'll look the puppy's plums.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    gtvlusso wrote:

IMG_2391.jpg

I am also considering passing the lock through the frame as well as the wheels......

Changed that for you.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I thought that about the lock. But, I think there is a U lock through the far seat stay.
    I think I'd go for black bar tape given the wheels and saddle. Not troubled by the mismatched wheels, the front will never quite match due to the brking surface being used.
    Looks good though.
  • gtvlusso
    Mouth wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

IMG_2391.jpg

I am also considering passing the lock through the frame as well as the wheels......

Changed that for you.

Through the seat stay......
  • rjsterry
    BTW, those Randonneur bars are hoooj!
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Saddle's not level, and I'd sort those wheels out - should be matching, or are you a fakenger ? :twisted:
  • gtvlusso
    rjsterry wrote:

Smallest ones you can get at 38cm....they look bigger than they are in the photo, honest guv!
  • gtvlusso
    fossyant wrote:
    Saddle's not level, and I'd sort those wheels out - should be matching, or are you a fakenger ? :twisted:

Saddle is not level because it is a TT frame and throws you forward naturally by steep geometry + I find it comfy, the original matched front wheel bearings went bang a month back and that was a spare I had in the shed. I am planning to replace the bearings in the old front wheel when I figure out what hub it is........so, I should be less fakenger and more hipster, but no less tw*tish.
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    Black tyres....black saddle.....black tape. Cork for me.
  • gtvlusso
    KevEss wrote:
    Black tyres....black saddle.....black tape. Cork for me.

I see a connection here.......

:-)

Hoping that my 'black' top tube pad turns up in the post tomorrow! Need to do chain tension tonight - new chain!
  • rjsterry
    gtvlusso wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Smallest ones you can get at 38cm....they look bigger than they are in the photo, honest guv!
    I was meaning in profile rather than width; in these days of 'compact' and 'ergonomic' bars (pah!) my old school bars throw a long way forward on the tops, and have plenty of room on the drops, but yours appear to have room for an extra pair of hands.

Very smart frame btw.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gtvlusso
    rjsterry wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I was meaning in profile rather than width; in these days of 'compact' and 'ergonomic' bars (pah!) my old school bars throw a long way forward on the tops, and have plenty of room on the drops, but yours appear to have room for an extra pair of hands.

Very smart frame btw.

Ah - I see - yes, they are Randonneur bars. I have some 3TTT ergo's at home, but felt that they looked a bit too technical for an old frame.
    I am a big fan of having allot of room to move about on the bars - particularly the tops - I like a big flat section as I don't have any STI's to rest on.