Bike Fitting - Nottingham Area

nickl360
nickl360 Posts: 59
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hello all,

I'm looking to get a proper bike fit on my bike as I'm experiencing what I think is ITBS in my right knee.

I've searched the forum and found Cadence Sport is local-ish to me but at £150 it sounds expensive for someone who cycles twice a week.

Any other places or suggestions or even online guides to do it myself? Seat fore/aft, stem length, saddle height, cleat alignment etc..

Cheers,

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I think Cadence Sport really is worth it but have a look at Steve Hogg's blog. (Just do a google and it'll come up top)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I've been in contact with Andy here:

http://www.bike-science.com/home-c-276.html

they're based just outside Nottingham in Langley Mill just down the A610. They offer a range of different services tailored to the type of riding you are likely to do.

seem friendly enough, although i've not been yet so don't know about how good/bad they might be.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    £150 or bad knees - ooohh let me see. ;-)

Seriously, it's well worth the money.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nickl360
    How easy is it to transfer the measurements to go on to a custom made bike or new bike?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The bike science one gives you a print out of all the geometry/ settings so in theory you could dial in the settings to any bike as long as you can replicate the geometry
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • napoleond
    nickl360 wrote:
    How easy is it to transfer the measurements to go on to a custom made bike or new bike?

Very!

If you go to Cadence Sport he'll show you how to do it.

It also shows you on the Steve Hogg site.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nickl360
    Have you had a fit at Cadence Sport?

I've dropped Adrian an email with some questions.
  • napoleond
    nickl360 wrote:
    Have you had a fit at Cadence Sport?

I've dropped Adrian an email with some questions.

Yes. To say it improved my enjoyment of riding (as well as performance) is an understatement...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    If you do go to one or other of them could you possibly post back here with your experiences? I'm in Nottingham and ride a couple of times a week (without the pain) so was wondering whether it was worth the time and money.
  • nickl360
    Excellent.

What kind of level cyclist would you say you are? i.e. do you commute 5x a week, are you a serious cyclist or just enjoy going out on the bike?
  • napoleond
    I just enjoy riding my bike (although I was racing too, sacked that for now following accident)...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nickl360
    Sorry to hear that.

I will see what Adrian says in response to my questions. Sounds like £150 in the long run is a worthwhile investment.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I saw Adrian last week after my spinal injuries last year. Very clued up chap and even though my bike was nearly there before i got there, the changes that he made made it worthwhile. Felt stronger on the bike, only problem i have is the slight change of position so it means slightly different muscles are being used. It'll take a little time to get used to the position.

Problem with Adrian is that he's got a long waiting list. But it's worth it.
  • nickl360
    anto164 wrote:
    I saw Adrian last week after my spinal injuries last year. Very clued up chap and even though my bike was nearly there before i got there, the changes that he made made it worthwhile. Felt stronger on the bike, only problem i have is the slight change of position so it means slightly different muscles are being used. It'll take a little time to get used to the position.

Problem with Adrian is that he's got a long waiting list. But it's worth it.

That's great to hear, thanks.

I don't mind waiting, will give me time to save up for it. Hah!
  • napoleond
    I would hope he's clued up with his background! ;)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Just a follow on from this. I had a bike fitting for my new Cube with Andy @ Bike science (derby) and it has transformed my enjoyment of the bike.
    I had a few things set which were not 'optimal' worst culprit being the saddle height. I now feel like i am getting more power through every revolution and my riding position is more comfortable and relaxed than it was before.
    The physical assessment was a good thing too, so i can see weak areas that need a little help such as core strength work and stretching the hamstrings.

A bike fitting is well worth the money imho.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC SL
    Garmin Edge 500
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I am unique in the fact I have had 3 bike fits.

1.Bio Racer fit @ fred williams - £30 - (this was some years ago) - this style of fit has very much been superseeded now - basically your measurements are put into a database and your ideal bike measurements come out. However coming from no bike fit - this made quite a difference in a positive way.

2.Cadencesport
    To be honest I wasn't overly impressed. The shop was unattended whilst my fit was being done - meaning i got a hurried fit, and didn't feel I had the guys full attention. No printout , or measurements , - although I got free footbeds - I had to pay extra for shims and wedges. The cleats were fitted blind in a neutral position - and adrian was reluctant to move them even though I said it didn't feel right.

Don't be fooled by the long lead times either - i think he only does a couple a week - youre fitting in around how busy the shop is - not hundreds of people waiting for bike fits

3.Epic Cycles
    Seen a guy called chris - who really seemed to know his stuff and care, He confirmed my fears about my previous bike fit - the fit was ok - but the cleats were just in a neutral position - said I didn't shims in the shoes. said I wasn't sitting quite central on the bike - and also noticed a slight twist in my spine. He aligned my cleats - and then even watched me cycling on the road - more adjustments - etc. he then didn't charge me full price as he had only adjusted cleats. He suggested i try a cut out saddle - but didn't try and sell me one on the spot. Loads of other advice. - Really good bloke

Not a bike fit - but for general injuries aches and pains - I went to see Martin Earley in stoke - well worth it - and doesn't cost much either.