Small packable waterproof reqd, any recommendations?

manimal
manimal Posts: 434
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Im doing a 400 mile ride in 2 weeks time in northern france so judging by the climate here it might not be too different.
Ive got a montane featherlight h20 which is great as it packs away really small and is fairly waterproof but may need something a bit more waterproof, can anyone recommend anything that they have that will fit the bill of being able to be packed away very small and be very waterproof? Ive looked at the gore range but i have broad shoulders and they dont fit well at all.
Cheers

Comments

• Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Do a search, there are dozens of threads on this subject.
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    Peral Izumi elite barrrier jacket. I've tried a lot of these packable waterproofs for fishing, hiking etc etc this is the best by far, breathable and waterproof.
    Turned out nice again!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Rapha stowaway
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Rapha stowaway

+1 the Rapah - good quality and packs away really small
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Good Value for money is the Montane featherlite £35 or so, like many on the market it is about the size of an apple when in it's little bag but has great rain bashing qualities.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The cheapo decathlon one, only a tenner. Has slashes in to let the steam out but doesn't let any water in. Prefer it to the Paclite Gore jacket it replaced.

Obviously isn't going to be as good as the stowaway, but rain jackets are the one item of clothing I've found you don't get what you pay for. They're all either waterproof and sweaty, or not waterproof and sweaty. As long as the cut is ok (which the decathlon one is) and it fits in my pocket it'll do.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'm fairly broad across the shoulders and the Gore path fits me a treat, tried others but they were too tight or too flappy, it really does the job well and fits in your jersey pocket.
    I'd try before I buy though.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    +1 for the Aldi special on Thursday, £9.99. After all you don't really want to wear it, it's there for emergencies only.
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_24369.htm
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I'd really recommend the altura pocket rocket, packs down to about the size of a fist and is totally waterproof.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    + another for the aldi one, its great for when you need it, its a bit boil in the bag but no more than ones costing plenty more.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Nickel wrote:
    I'd really recommend the altura pocket rocket, packs down to about the size of a fist and is totally waterproof.
    + another for the aldi one, its great for when you need it, its a bit boil in the bag but no more than ones costing plenty more.

I own both of these and have tried them both in heavy rain. The Aldi was easily overwhelmed and leaked badly after a prolonged soaking (Etape du Dales last year). The Pocket Rocket on the other hand kept me virtually bone dry in even after some of the heaviest rain I've ever ridden in (Coast to Coast last year).

I'd spend a bit more and feel the benefit!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Apart from looking nicer - I don't think my rapha stowaway is that much better than my aldi jacket.
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Rapha stowaway

My wife has the Rapha stowaway and found it not that great with water repellency. It’s fine if there is a quick shower but anything longer or stonger than this and I really wonder why I spent so much. It does make a great windstopper though. She also has their Rain Jacket and reports that it is great (albeit more expensive). If she were to have only one jacket it would be this. It’s waterproof, fairly breathable and packs down a lot smaller than we thought it would. Almost a bit too small considering how much it is (if that makes sense!).
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    +1 for the Altura Pocket Rocket. Very effective, and packs down small. Very pleased with mine!
    Also have the Aldi one which was ok in light drizzle, but really no comparison with the Altura...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • manimal
    manimal Posts: 434
    Thanks folks, will have a close look at the altura and the rapha i think
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    yocto wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Rapha stowaway

My wife has the Rapha stowaway and found it not that great with water repellency. It’s fine if there is a quick shower but anything longer or stonger than this and I really wonder why I spent so much. It does make a great windstopper though. She also has their Rain Jacket and reports that it is great (albeit more expensive). If she were to have only one jacket it would be this. It’s waterproof, fairly breathable and packs down a lot smaller than we thought it would. Almost a bit too small considering how much it is (if that makes sense!).
    The Rapha stowaway is advertised as windproof and "water resistant" (not water "proof") so sounds to me as if it performs exactly as advertised. (Interestingly they've changed the name to "the classic wind jacket").
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Good Value for money is the Montane featherlite £35 or so, like many on the market it is about the size of an apple when in it's little bag but has great rain bashing qualities.

+2 for the montane. The enemy and I have been using this jacket on and off ( mainly off) for two years, but more on in the last few weeks, it's light, it protects from the wind and its water proof. A fantastic bit of kit.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin