Hello! New and kinda dumb haha!

Rudderpine
Rudderpine Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hello from Kentucky!!

I just got a Giant NRS I believe a 03 model.

It is my first FS bike and disc brake bike!

I love it I got it for 500 hopefully I didn't get had on it!

Two questions, under heavy pedal it feels like it slips. I'm going to clean the chain good but any other ideas?

Also I notice it looks like the sprocket was rubbing on the frame is this normal?

Thanks in advance I'm here to have fun and learn! I love the workshop things here!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hi, we're a UK based website, but welcome anyway!

Slipping sounds like worn cassette or chainrings or both, , most usually the cassette (as it's smaller diameter) if replacing teh cassette you almost certainly need to replace the chain as well.

The sprocket should not rub on the frame - photo's?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Dont ride it if a sprocket / chainring is rubbing on the frame as it'll knacker the frame. Get that one sorted ASAP!
  • Rudderpine
    Ha didn't realize it was a UK forum eh oh well! We are all here to do the same thing anyway :)

That sucks about the sprocket frame I can get pics tomorrow.

I didn't notice it when I bought it but did when I got home it's clear it's been doing it awhile as its already down past the paint to the metal :/
  • Rudderpine
    Now I'm really worried I got screwed :(
  • The Rookie
    The paint will go through really quickly, that's not an issue, it's the ally frame that is, lets get some pics and take it from there!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rudderpine
    Ok, I'm a firefighter and on shift until tomorrow morning so I'll get pics then!!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Welcome!

Don't worry about...
    Hi, we're a UK based website, but welcome anyway!
    Even though it's an UK based site, and the majority of members are Brits, there are several riders from all corners of the globe on here.
  • Rudderpine
    Never know maybe I'll be in UK one day and can meet some of ya!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah anyone's welcome. YeehaaMcgee's from Wales! and we let him in.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yeah. Well. Sort of.
    Besides, Wales isn't even a real place, I just made it up so I could make fun of other countries.
    The joke backfired a bit though.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    :lol::lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    Is the sproket actually rubbing or is the paint damage evidence of chain suck in the past? Pics would certainly help
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Rudderpine
    Update

I had my wife take it in as I REALLY want to ride tomorrow!

She's a great wife anyway she took it in the guy said it was signs of chain suck.

So I aske why it was doing it he said it could be multiple things so I said well fix it haha he said he will tune it up and test it. It'll be ready in the am. And it's missing something I forgot what he said but he's going to fix it too.

So going to grab some paint and repaint that section.

He said overall looks like a great bike! That made me feel better!!
  • The Rookie
    Besides, Wales isn't even a real place, I just made it up so I could make fun of other countries.
    [pedant mode] you can't make fun of 'other countries' as Wales isn't a country but a principality, so you can only make fun of 'countries'[/pedant mode]
  • YeehaaMcgee
    [pedant mode] you can't make fun of 'other countries' as Wales isn't a country but a principality, so you can only make fun of 'countries'[/pedant mode]
    Not only pedantry, but totally missing the point, I see.
    10 internetarse points for you.
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126

11. Is Wales a Country or a Principality?

Wales is not a Principality. Although we are joined with England by land, and we are part of Great Britain, Wales is a country in it's own right.

Source.

:wink:
  • cooldad
    I wouldn't trust that site, seems biased to me. I think they have a hidden agenda.
    This one says otherwise
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Wales isn't even real. I just made it up. I took the name of a giant sea-faring mammal. I mean, "Wales"? Seriously? You still believe this nonsense?
  • cooldad
    Wales isn't even real. I just made it up. I took the name of a giant sea-faring mammal. I mean, "Wales"? Seriously? You still believe this nonsense?
    Giant sea faring mammal
    fat_girl_poster-12965.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Giant sea faring mammal
    fat_girl_poster-12965.jpg
    she can sit on my face any day