cateye setup help

Wazza1878
Wazza1878 Posts: 59
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Gents, and ladies (if any?)

Just took possession of my new Bianchi yesterday :)
However, i'm trying to prpgramme this cateye strada wireless, which is a pain in the gluteus maximus i can vouch for, anyways, does any know what the standard wheel size is for a road bike? dumb question i know, but i am new in here and to cycling
Wazza

Comments

• Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    It depends on the size and type of tyres you have - some are deeper than others.
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    You can download manuals here which will have set up information.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Most accurate and easy way is to stick a piece of masking tape on the floor, line up the valve at the bottom of the wheel, roll the bike forward in a straight line until the valve returns to the bottom (ie one complete revolution) stick another bit of tape to the floor and measure between the two bits of tape. This is then specific to your wheels and most importantly your brand/type of tyre.

This is quite often different to the measurement given on the chart in the manual.

Otherwise it's ∏D :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Wazza1878
    Simmotino wrote:
    You can download manuals here which will have set up information.

Cheers Simmotino, think i've set it up correctly now, however the signal on the computer is not flashing/indicating, is this because it's on the right hand side of my bars and too far away from the sensor maybe?
    Wazza
  • Tomskii
    Tomskii Posts: 20
    Might also indicate that the magnet to sensor gap is too wide. That's the problem I have with mine usually.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'm an idiot where it comes to technology and i managed to set mine up, if i remember correctly all you require is the wheel or tyre size and that'll will be down as 622 or 700,width probably 23(just check your tyre wall for that info).
  • Wazza1878
    Tomskii wrote:
    Might also indicate that the magnet to sensor gap is too wide. That's the problem I have with mine usually.

Think i've aligned correctly, but Cateye's website says about the computer having to be in auto mode? can't see where it gives instructions for that in the manual,
    Wazza
  • Wazza1878
    This youtube video is good for anyone struggling like me, seems he changed the battery in the sensor which brought the computer to life (signal) i've never really used it, so i dont know why the battery might be dead, but i'll try that and let you guy's know.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH5g8qyTdOk
    Wazza
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Wazza1878 wrote:
    This youtube video is good for anyone struggling like me, seems he changed the battery in the sensor which brought the computer to life (signal) i've never really used it, so i dont know why the battery might be dead, but i'll try that and let you guy's know.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH5g8qyTdOk
    Is the computer unit just new out of the box? Did you make sure the backing tape was off the battery compartment? and the battery the right way in? (My Cateye V3 was like this when new)

Automode - should be in the menu if you scroll through it. It's meant to pick up sensor triggers and automatically start,I have it on but it doesn't work lol

Tyre size: 700x23c equals 2096
  • Wazza1878
    Cheers TMHNET, yeah it's brand new, the computer unit is working fine, but the sensor/magnet type contraption must not be sending a signal, so i'll change the battery in that just in case, i can't think of anything else.
    Wazza
  • Simmotino
    If you take the little wheel magnet and sensor off the bike, you should be able to hear a little 'click' if you move the magnet past the sensor area repeatedly. That should then send a signal to the head unit.

If the head unit is on but only showing zeros, and quickly passing the magnet back and forth doesn't register a speed, then the battery in the sensor is likely the culprit.
  • Wazza1878
    Simmotino wrote:
    If you take the little wheel magnet and sensor off the bike, you should be able to hear a little 'click' if you move the magnet past the sensor area repeatedly. That should then send a signal to the head unit.

If the head unit is on but only showing zeros, and quickly passing the magnet back and forth doesn't register a speed, then the battery in the sensor is likely the culprit.

Cheers Simmotino, i now have a signal, however after spinning the front wheel no speed is registering, is it me being an idiot?
    Wazza
  • Simmotino
    Wazza1878 wrote:
    Simmotino wrote:

Cheers Simmotino, i now have a signal, however after spinning the front wheel no speed is registering, is it me being an idiot?

So manually moving the magnet back and forth against the sensor brings up a speed on the head unit, but when on the wheel it doesn't?

I'd suggest if that's the case, the magnet is too far away from the sensor when it passes. Move it down the fork/spoke a little so there is less room between the two when it passes.
  • Wazza1878
    Simmotino wrote:
    Wazza1878 wrote:
    Simmotino wrote:

So manually moving the magnet back and forth against the sensor brings up a speed on the head unit, but when on the wheel it doesn't?

I'd suggest if that's the case, the magnet is too far away from the sensor when it passes. Move it down the fork/spoke a little so there is less room between the two when it passes.

No bud, since i moved the magnet, i know have a signal which i didn't have previously (thumbs up) after spinning the wheel, no speed is being recognised, it must be this auto function which i still can't fathom, thanks for all your help thus far.
    Wazza
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Wazza1878 wrote:
    Cheers TMHNET, yeah it's brand new, the computer unit is working fine, but the sensor/magnet type contraption must not be sending a signal, so i'll change the battery in that just in case, i can't think of anything else.

Did you set the sensor id in the menu?
  • Wazza1878
    sensor id?, sensor seems fine now? at least it's displaying a signal, i've probably just missed this auto function, whereby whenever the wheel moves the computer will start, but i can't find that damn function, where's Rick Dagless when you need him.
    Wazza
  • Simmotino
    Have you read the set up process in the manual?
  • Wazza1878
    Sure have, "measurements occur automatically when the bike is in use, during measurement km/h or mph flashes"
    well thats bollocks, doesn't occur on mine.
    I'll just have to hope the next time i go out on it, probably about August at this rate, that it displays speed, i.e that i'm actually pedalling
    Wazza
  • Simmotino
    So, did you set the sensor id?
  • Wazza1878
    Can't say i did, because their's fack all about that in the manual mate
    Wazza
  • Simmotino
    Hmmm, obviously only needed for the units with more than one sensor.

If the process has been followed and it isn't working, I'd be hoiking it back to the shop.
  • Wazza1878
    I'm considering that, bloody internet purchase though, what i might do is pop into evans cycles whilst i'm picking up an order and just pretend i bought it there, and ask if they can help? worth a try?
    Wazza
  • Simmotino
    Unlikely, as they'd want to see a receipt (and could search their system for a record I believe).

Let's go back to the start.

If you have the head unit in front of you, and then manually move the magnet back and forth (by hand, off the bike) so that the sensor 'clicks', what happens on the display?
  • Wazza1878
    well, it seems ok if i put the magnet or less right next to the sensor, the signal displays and did MPH (flashing) i then fixed the magnet as close as i could to the sensor, spun the wheel, and the mph didn't move, sound like a big issue or an oversight by me?
    Wazza
  • Simmotino
    If it's working off the bike, then we know the unit is functioning.

If it's not working when it's then on the bike, it *has* to be an alignment issue I would have thought. Are the sensor/magnet as close as they can be without touching when on the bike?

What about holding the head unit near them when you spin the wheel? Perhaps it's a distance issue (although that's unlikely I think).

ETA: If the speed was flashing when it was showing, then the battery is running low it would seem. A new battery in the sensor would appear to be the answer.
  • Wazza1878
    Yeah, your pretty much spot on, although it would appear every time i put the unit back on the bike, i have to reattach the magnet again to allow the comp unit to receive a signal, i'll have a mess with it tomorrow and let you know.
    Thanks for all your help
    Wazza
  • Simmotino
    There's a late edit to my post you might not have seen.

New battery in the sensor is needed (the flashing speed indication is the head unit's warning for this) so replace that and hopefully all should be fine.

Let us know if that sorts it.
  • Wazza1878
    Yeah i will do
    Wazza
  • Wazza1878
    Simmotino wrote:
    There's a late edit to my post you might not have seen.

New battery in the sensor is needed (the flashing speed indication is the head unit's warning for this) so replace that and hopefully all should be fine.

Let us know if that sorts it.

Simmo, an update, guess what? it was the battery! :?
    Don't know why it's gone so quickly mind, didn't put it on the bike till yesterday.
    Anyways, did my first ever proper ride today,
    11.32 miles
    average speed 13.7
    Max 26.2
    Not bad for a first effort, on bumpy :( windy coastal road, but feel great for it, cheers for all your help as well
    Wazza
  • Simmotino
    Good to hear it's sorted. May have been stock the shop has had for a while (the Strada's been around for a few years) or just a duff battery - it happens.

Well done on the first ride too. First of many too, hopefully.