Left hooked by British Gas van

bigmat
bigmat Posts: 5,134
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Got taken out by a van on the way in this morning. Classic left hook just outside the Post Office on Bromley Road between Beckenham Hill and Catford, saw him overtake me and then immediately turned left in front of me, I slammed the breaks on and tried to take evasive action but he clipped my front wheel and down I went. Fortunately I landed well and immediately shouted after him which he must have heard as he pulled in down the road he had turned down and I was able to catch up with him. Scary thing is, he didn't even realise he'd hit me! His line of defence went like this:

I didn't hit you.

I can't have hit you, I'd have felt it.

I had my indicator on.

I had to overtake you, you're a bike.

Eventually, after I explained to him what had happened and why it was his fault, he admitted he was in the wrong, apologised and agreed to take more care in future. I had pointed out that I had his reg plate and employer's details and he said he would report the accident later. Now here's the thing - I appear to have come off pretty well. The only damage to the bike is a bit of a scuff to the side of the saddle (as far as I can tell). My hand hurt a bit initially but now feels fine. Buttock a bit achy but I've had worse. No cuts, no obvious bruises, no damage to kit. All things considered, I'm minded to just let it go as he did accept responsibility (eventually) and promised to be more careful in future. I think he might actually have meant it. Alternative is to write a moany email to British Gas and, what, claim a new saddle? Try and get him in trouble?

What does the hive mind think I should do?

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    You could just write a non-moany email to BG. Explain what happened, make it clear that you aren't fishing for a payout, but want to be constructive and would be grateful if they could review their employee training or some such.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    edited May 2012
    Give it a day or two and see if you have any after effects.

If not, I'd just let it go.

Are you legally obliged to report it?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If it were me I'd be tempted to leave it - not worth the hassle.

RJS's response is probably a bit more social and better.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Report it! He might have done it before for all you know. Also, especially if you suggest to BG, they could "retrain" him on road awareness, it sounds like he needs it.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • madeupname
    madeupname Posts: 8
    Agreed. Report it to his employer. If it is his 'first offence' then a bit of re-training may be in order. If he is a serial offender then his employer may take further action.

I was subjected to a concerted effort by an Ocado van to run me off the road this morning. E-mailed their legal department who have already replied to ask for further details so they can investigate further.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Personally - I would do what RJS has already said. E-mail then with an 'it's all amicable now', it is logged with BG then, if you have any further issues you have a ref point.

In other news, don't get BG to 'try' and fix your boiler, they are fecking useless.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Personally - I would do what RJS has already said. E-mail then with an 'it's all amicable now', it is logged with BG then, if you have any further issues you have a ref point.

In other news, don't get BG to 'try' and fix your boiler, they are fecking useless.

I wouldn't get British Gas to try and do anything, they have long since been blacklisted! Cheers for the replies, I'll tot up the votes for against later and might send a non moany email just in case I wake up in two days time paralysed down my right side...
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    BigMat wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

I wouldn't get British Gas to try and do anything, they have long since been blacklisted! Cheers for the replies, I'll tot up the votes for against later and might send a non moany email just in case I wake up in two days time paralysed down my right side...

I hope that you are okay after said incident.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    madeupname wrote:
    I was subjected to a concerted effort by an Ocado van to run me off the road this morning. E-mailed their legal department who have already replied to ask for further details so they can investigate further.

Maybe the same cockwomble Ocado driver who I came across last night. Fortunately nothing came of it - thanks to me being aware - but he did his best to position his van dangerously.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I had an Ocado van drive at me on the wrong side of a road a month or so ago. Dunno if it's the same guy or not, but this guy was swearing at me and had serious issues...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The way I see it is:

If someone does something good, then a thank you is always welcome. It lets the person know.
    If someone does something bad, then a complaint is in order. FOR THE SAME REASON: it lets them know.

A complaint can be very constructive, and to be honest: his initial denial paints a picture of a poor driver, and this needs to be addressed. For his sake just as much as anyone elses.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Glad to hear that you haven't come off too badly.

If you see Sid, you might want to tell him :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    A complaint can be very constructive, and to be honest: his initial denial paints a picture of a
    poor driver, and this needs to be addressed. For his sake just as much as anyone elses.

Nah. That's just normal human reactions. If someone previously unknown approached you and said "you've done X wrong", you'd respond (automatically) with "no I haven't". Just about everyone is naturally defensive (at first) when confronted with their wrong doing.

OP: I'd wait a couple of days, check you+bike are ok, then email with: "this happened, perhaps a quiet word is in order, but it's all amicable now".
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    Reading this brings back memories

On March 29th 2011, when cycling down the Highway out to the Wharf, a BG van gave me absolutely no room when setting of from a set of lights and he clipped my RHS with his wing mirror. (Stupidly) when I caught up with him at the next set of lights, I went round to the driver's side door and told him to wind his window down. Instead he opened the door very quickly in my face, whilst shouting and screaming. He did this repeatedly and as I was still clipped in, it took me a 10-15 seconds to get away. He basically used his van as a weapon, and showed serious aggression. I tried to get his number plate, and got out of there as quick as I could.

I went down to the station and reported him a few hours later. I also wrote a letter to British Gas. The police were very very proactive, but things took a while. It didn't help that I had got one letter of the number plate wrong, and as they are fleet vans the reg number that I did give was also a BG van. But eventually they found out who was driving and he matched the description I gave them. The police arrested him, but then a month later all charges were dropped as there was insufficient evidence.

British Gas never bothered contacting me....

BG behaviour didn't surprise me, a jobsworth sitting in some desk in a drab office probably read it and thought "whats the point" and shredded it. I give full marks to the police. I appreciate their hands were tied as if there was no evidence there isint a cat in hell's chance the the CPS would prosecute.

But I reported it, and the little fecker got arrested so perhaps next time he might think twice about it.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    mroli wrote:
    I had an Ocado van drive at me on the wrong side of a road a month or so ago. Dunno if it's the same guy or not, but this guy was swearing at me and had serious issues...

It's a pity as most of their drivers are v friendly. Even had one who clocked my SS in the hallway and proceeded to regale me with stories of his track cycling days!

As for BG, non-moany email sounds v sensible.
  • JamesFree
    JamesFree Posts: 703
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

On March 29th 2011, when cycling down the Highway out to the Wharf, a BG van gave me absolutely no room when setting of from a set of lights and he clipped my RHS with his wing mirror. (Stupidly) when I caught up with him at the next set of lights, I went round to the driver's side door and told him to wind his window down. Instead he opened the door very quickly in my face, whilst shouting and screaming. He did this repeatedly and as I was still clipped in, it took me a 10-15 seconds to get away. He basically used his van as a weapon, and showed serious aggression. I tried to get his number plate, and got out of there as quick as I could.

I went down to the station and reported him a few hours later. I also wrote a letter to British Gas. The police were very very proactive, but things took a while. It didn't help that I had got one letter of the number plate wrong, and as they are fleet vans the reg number that I did give was also a BG van. But eventually they found out who was driving and he matched the description I gave them. The police arrested him, but then a month later all charges were dropped as there was insufficient evidence.

BG behaviour didn't surprise me, a jobsworth sitting in some desk in a drab office probably read it and thought "whats the point" and shredded it. I give full marks to the police. I appreciate their hands were tied as if there was no evidence there isint a cat in hell's chance the the CPS would prosecute.

But I reported it, and the little fecker got arrested so perhaps next time he might think twice about it.

Did you ask is there was any CCTV of the incident ?
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    JamesFree wrote:
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

Did you ask is there was any CCTV of the incident ?

Yes, I gave them the exact minute it happened as well as I wrote that down with the number plate. They said the only CCTV was further up the road on the entrance to the Limehouse Link Tunnel
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    In said non moany email mention that he said he would report it... this will allow the business to either say yes he did fair enough or oh look he hasn't BURN HIM... then he's clearly just a shitehawk

Especially if you give it a couple of days
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Clever Pun wrote:
    In said non moany email mention that he said he would report it... this will allow the business to either say yes he did fair enough or oh look he hasn't BURN HIM... then he's clearly just a shitehawk

Especially if you give it a couple of days

Good point. It'll give you a steer if he's just been nice to fob you off or has genuinely learned a bit of a lesson
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Give it a day or two and see if you have any after effects.

If not, I'd just let it go.

Are you legally obliged to report it?

The cyclist isn't but the van driver is......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Definitely report it to BG. You could do it anonymously, so to speak. i.e. not give his reg first up (unless they ask) because you don't want to land him in it as he was apologetic, etc.

But they have safety training for vans and getting bike awareness further up the agenda on that training would be no bad thing. So I'd do it if I were you.