Sizing for short-legged riders

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
At some point in the future, I may buy a new bike, but am concerned about sizing - I'm 5'9" (ish) but have very short legs - c. 73cm inseam (ie pelvis to floor) or less. In the days of compact frames, this wasn't a problem but now most frames are more "square", my nominal frame size of 54cm top tube seems to end up with a 52cm seat tube (centre to top) which means that it's a bit tight for standover etc.

Anyone got any thoughts or recommmendations??? Next bike would be c.£1750-2k (but don't tell the missus :lol: )

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Sorry totally off subject, are you sure your leg measurement is correct? How can you be 5,9 with a 28inch leg? Im 5,4 with a 28 inch leg and I thought I had short legs.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    NITR8s wrote:
    Sorry totally off subject, are you sure your leg measurement is correct? How can you be 5,9 with a 28inch leg? Im 5,4 with a 28 inch leg and I thought I had short legs.

It's correct - I have to get short-legged trousers - my wife's shorter than me (5'7") but her legs are longer

I never really thought about it until a mate pointed out "well, the first thing I noticed about you was that you've got really short legs"

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I have a friend of mine who always says 'my legs are too short for my body'
  • Ignore Stand over. - you never stand with both feet on the ground anyway

Top tube is all that counts