Rocket Rons vs Race Kings or x kings

MrWesty
MrWesty Posts: 13
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to replace my tyres on my scott spark. Currently i am running rocket ron 2.1 folding front and back which I really like the seem really fast light a good amount of grip. I mainly ride cross country and rocket rons seem to suit this very well.

So my question is are race kings or x kings better than rocket rons?

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    No
    I like my race kings for racing but iot must be utterly dry
    My Xkings are good allrounder like your rons, but in my experiance a little heavier.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • MrWesty
    So race kings and x kings are NOT any better than rocket rons, so would you stick with rocket rons?

Do most people racing use race kings?
  • VWsurfbum
    depends where and what surface.
    When i'm racing i see a much bigger slice of people on rons/ralphs than on Racekings but thats all down to personal preference.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I don't race, and I can't speak for the Rons, but I have an X-King out back and I really rate it.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I would say that the RK's are a little faster (and I mean fractional) rolling but at the expense of grip.

As the poster above mentioned, the RK's are great in the dry and on rock, but sketchy in the wet. The rons cope a bit better all round.

I'm racing on Rons now....but have historically used RK's
  • VWsurfbum
    EH_Rob wrote:
    I don't race, and I can't speak for the Rons, but I have an X-King out back and I really rate it.
    I'm running a x-King 2.4 on my 29er at the moment, think its very good all round, just a little heavy. Cant have everything :wink:
    will get a 2.2 for the rear as the WTB prowler i got is just a little to unpredictable for my liking on the back.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I can live with 570g to be honest (for the 2.2 Protection version) - it isn't exactly a tonne. How much do the Rons weigh?
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Rons are very light...

The tire is available in three sizes: 26 x 2.10 inch (410 Gram), 26 x 2.25 inch (445 Gram) and a wide 26 x 2.40 inch, which only weighs 530 Gram.

Race king race sport - 450g to 500g depending on width
    http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20raceking.shtml
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Race kings scare me.
  • MrWesty
    I've used various tires in the past, when I bought my spark it came with rocket rons and I am very impressed with how fast they roll and they are very light the grip is pretty good except when it is really wet.

It's interesting to hear peoples views on the continentals as they seemed to be used a lot in racing, It sounds very much like the rocket rons are best for all round use.

Does everyone run tubeless? how much of a difference does running tubeless make?
  • VWsurfbum
    I find it makes a noticable difference to rolling speed.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty