Advice needed please for a relative newcomer

mark_ed
mark_ed Posts: 17
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hello to all,

After browsing this site I have decided to register and ask for a little advice.

I am 43 and have cycled a little in the past but not serious. I have always been a fan of road cycling but football was what I played so never really thought of getting a road bike. I suffer from a mild form of arthritis which about 10 years ago ended my football playing days and of course this saw me put on a bit of weight :(

My doc gave me the nod for cycling after I decided enough was enough, I bought a Giant Defy 4 last august which didnt really see action until January of this year I started off slow a couple of miles here and there at the weekend and increased it gently. I now am up to 52 miles on a weekend run at an avergage of 14.5mph and on shorter runs this will increase to about 15.5mph. I have changed my diet and lost a stone and a half and really got the bug for cycling :)

My questions are this, is that pace around where i should be? and what tips do people have for when the terrain gets lumpy i really seem to struggle up hills :oops: I am 6ft 3 and now weigh 15st 5 and realise a little bit more off wont do any harm.

any advice or encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    First of all congratulations on getting to 52 miles, that is good going for someone who has only been cycling since January. There are lots of previous debates on this forum about average speed, the general consensus is - it depends on terrain, wind and road conditions. See:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12833367
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12844665

At 6 foot 3 inches you're never going to be the fastest up the hills, just watch the pro racing and you'll see that generally it's the "jockey" size guys that can dance on the pedals. High cadence is one solution to riding hills, according to Lance Armstrong anyway (see http://youtu.be/HRFNKhNhhJQ), but everyone has their own style. You will get better with practice, good hydration and good fuelling.

From Sheldon Brown, How to Shift Your Bicycle's Gears:
    Power lifting or swimming?
    Consider two very different types of exercise: Power lifting vs. swimming. After you have lifted the 200 LB barbell half a dozen times, you go take a shower--high force, few repetitions. Swimming, on the other hand, involves very little resistance--you are only moving your hands and legs through water--but with many repetitions.

"Pushing" vs. "Spinning"
    "Pushing" a high gear at a slow cadence is like power lifting. It is good for building up muscle mass and bulking up your legs, but it does little for your heart or lungs, and you can hurt yourself if you overdo it.

"Spinning" a lower gear at a rapid cadence is more like swimming. The rapid motion, with many repetitions makes the legs supple and flexible, it is highly aerobic, and the light pressure that goes with this style reduces wear and tear on the joints. With practice "spinning" becomes easier and more comfortable.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    mark_ed wrote:
    Hello to all,

After browsing this site I have decided to register and ask for a little advice.

I am 43 and have cycled a little in the past but not serious. I have always been a fan of road cycling but football was what I played so never really thought of getting a road bike. I suffer from a mild form of arthritis which about 10 years ago ended my football playing days and of course this saw me put on a bit of weight :(

My doc gave me the nod for cycling after I decided enough was enough, I bought a Giant Defy 4 last august which didnt really see action until January of this year I started off slow a couple of miles here and there at the weekend and increased it gently. I now am up to 52 miles on a weekend run at an avergage of 14.5mph and on shorter runs this will increase to about 15.5mph. I have changed my diet and lost a stone and a half and really got the bug for cycling :)

My questions are this, is that pace around where i should be? and what tips do people have for when the terrain gets lumpy i really seem to struggle up hills :oops: I am 6ft 3 and now weigh 15st 5 and realise a little bit more off wont do any harm.

any advice or encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Best way to find out how good you are is to ride with some people. Average speeds etc are so dependant on so many things that they're useless for comparisons.

50 odd miles is a long way, especially on your own.

If you're lucky you'll have a local club nearby that does rides at various speeds - head down to one of those (ideally one that can cater for beginners!). Then you can ride around in a group, pick up any advice they give, and see how good or not you are. I know the Cambridge Cycling Club I used to ride with did slower rides for people who are either new or not into going super fast for ages.

The main thing is to enjoy it!!

My cycle computer ran out of juice two years ago and I never replaced it. Was great - no longer that big speed number looking at me - I just cycled where I wanted, at whatever pace I wanted. Lovely.

Oh, and everyone struggles up hills. It's about how slow or fast you struggle ;).
  • mark_ed
    Thanks folks,

I hope people dont think I am on here for an ego massage though I really just wanted some advice from experienced people on my progress. Your comment has put a smile on my face. I was a bit sore after my 52 miles but only to be expected i suppose, didnt stop me going again last night for an hour run.

I do get a mental block when im out if I know a hill is on its way i need to just keep getting out and riding them and things will get slightly better, I hope...
  • Fursty Ferret
    Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
    Without a doubt, the hills will get easier. You'll never mistake them for riding on the flat but I guarantee that after a while you'll lose the 'fear'. Just don't worry about how quickly others get up those slopes, just focus on yourself. It may well be that after your legs get used to it you might even look forward to those inclines. In fact you'll probably end up considering a ride without any hills whatsoever as cheating.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I agree with Rick. Riding with a group is a great way to cover the miles and improve your fitness as well as assessing how much better you are getting. When you're riding with others, chatting and joking away, the miles seem to flash by. Definitely much easier doing 50 miles with a group than on your own. Plus you get lots of useful advice from experienced cyclists.

An alternative to riding with a more racing-based road club is to go on a CTC ride (Cyclists' Touring Club). Local groups normally have rides for varying abilities - from absolute beginners to riders capable of cycling 50 to 80 miles at around 14 mph or higher. Just look up times and dates on internet and turn up. You don't have to join up first.

Your progress so far this year and ability to ride 52 miles at 14.5 mph is really good. Your size and weight will obviously limit your hill climbing ability but then again you'll have the strength and power to leave behind those whippets on the flat.

I personally love hills and mountains, although I'm a lot lighter than you. Psychology plays a big part. If you dread hills, you'll always suffer. Try to enjoy them, to look forward to them as a way of really boosting your performance, and the more you climb the better you'll get. Hill climbing gives probably more bangs for your buck than any other form of training!

A fit big bloke can power up shorter climbs in a highish gear. But for less fit riders, and less powerful riders like me, pacing yourself is the key. And the best way to ensure you can ride all the way to the top without wearing yourself out is to spin the pedals fairly quickly in a low gear.

Ignore those show-offs who claim they need nothing lower than a 39-23 bottom gear. A compact chainset with a 34 inner ring and a cassette with a 28-tooth biggest cog, or bigger, would be more the thing for your type of riding. If you still struggle, a triple will get even lower gears.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Hi,

I was in a similar position to you. Got back into cycling, and could cover some distance but hated hills. The thing is partly mindset - hunt the hills down. Find a short, sharp one nearby and do it early on in every ride - you'll notice yourself improving daily and that'll spur you on.

Continuing to loose weight will help lots too - don't overdo it though.

And finally, find a local club/group to go out with. That was the best thing I did BY FAR. It's a local pub ride - but some serious cyclists in there. Going with a group helps with technique and there's no hiding from hills.
  • mark_ed
    Thanks again folks for your positive comments,

Will take on board all you have said and go Hill Hunting... I have been out once with a friend who is a very experienced rider and he took me up a local climb that he strugled with when he first started, I got up it but legs and lungs were on fire and if you were on foot youd have strolled past me :lol:

Just hope i can find a nice friendly local group near Chester/Wirral who will take me in.

With regards to weight loss the wife wont let me lose too much cant see me ever being like Wiggo same height and less than 11st :shock: they are amazing athletes and unless you have had even a little taste you really dont appreciate how good they are.... Thanks again will keep you updated with my progress.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    mark_ed wrote:

Will take on board all you have said and go Hill Hunting... I have been out once with a friend who is a very experienced rider and he took me up a local climb that he strugled with when he first started, I got up it but legs and lungs were on fire and if you were on foot youd have strolled past me :lol:

Just hope i can find a nice friendly local group near Chester/Wirral who will take me in.

With regards to weight loss the wife wont let me lose too much cant see me ever being like Wiggo same height and less than 11st :shock: they are amazing athletes and unless you have had even a little taste you really dont appreciate how good they are.... Thanks again will keep you updated with my progress.

The thing about riding hills is you are probably going a lot faster that you think it is just the relative slowness to the flat bits. When I first started riding with groups via my local club about 3 years ago I was in the habit of pushing big gears which on the flat was fine but I could not stay with these guys on the hills. I then discovered the nadir that is "spinning" and now my climbing rate has increased significantly. I have only just taken delivery of my first 53/39t chainring and have been amazed at how I can power it! Last year I did the Manx E2E challenge on my MTB and didn't need my Granny once, not suggesting i have turned Pro or anything but big climbs don't faze me now and that's good enough. I did buy a cadence meter but now don't use a bike computer as such, just a garmin watch which, as i can see it all the time, isn't constantly telling/nagging me and actually enjoy my rides more. Peddle up!
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    mark_ed wrote:

I am a relative begiiner to the biking scene, also 43 yrs old and my averages are similar to yours. By coincidence I live on the Wirral and I have found a couple of nasty little climbs that I do every week around the Burton/Ness area that are great for climbing practice. You definately know you have been up a hill at the top (well I do anyway).

If you ever fancy a ride let me know, I could do with some company.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • mark_ed
    Ringo68 I use a few little routes round Willaston, Raby and Parkgate-Ness I rode it last night as it happens. I dont live very far from there at all and they are some of my regular shorter routes. Helsby Hill was the real Killer for me that I mentioned in the earlier post.

Would deffo enjoy some company mate that would be great. First time I post on a forum and someone replies thats round the corner. Small World, But the Hills in it look big on a bike :lol: (Got to get that out of my head :( )
  • Ringo 68
    Great, we will have to sort something out.

I live in Bromborough so every ride I go on takes me through Willaston. The hill I have started going up is Denhall Lane which joins onto the Ness Gardens Road. It is not long but quite steep and I find it a challenge. Please don't tell me you use it as a warm up though, I don't think my bruised ego could take it. :D
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • mark_ed
    No mate not at all, as I said I am a novice who loves riding most of the lads still play footie so dont cycle and another Is very experienced and goes out to wales on 100 mile runs, I havent ridden Denhall Lane i went past the end of it last night heading from Neston towards Burton if i have the right road... Not far from Hooton is where I am, trust me i am not competitive just enjoy getting out and want to improve going up lumps.. Dont know what we do to hook up not an experienced forum user. But would enjoy that for sure let me know.
  • Ringo 68
    I try and get out at least 3 times in the week for short 15 mile runs but taking in a couple of climbs and a longer, flatter run at the weekend. A lot depends on my shift pattern, the weather and my missus.

No that the days are getting longer I am sure we can sort something out. Probably best done via PM's rather than clutter the forum up.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • mark_ed
    Pm sent