Are Audaxes any good?

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
Been looking at Audaxes and was wondering if anyone has had any experince of them and if they would recommend them?

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Yes and yes. As long as you have the ability to read a map and feed yourself they're fine. You do get the occasionally poorly written route sheet but on the whole they are well done.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Yes. Lots of fun (if the weather is good!) and you meet a real cross section of riders. You get to see some different places and often do distances you might not have done before. If you have a Garmin you can put the course into that and follow the way-points. Depending where you are in the UK there are some brilliant rides. Southern England has more rides than eg Wales as there are more riders.

www.audak.uk.net
    M.Rushton
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    There are quite a few of us on here that regularly do audaxes. Personally, I love 'em. They are all slightly different (some good, some bad). However, the one constant is that they are predominantly organised by people who like cycling so the routes are based on real experience. As above, you do need to be self reliant but that doesn't mean you are on your own as other riders will stop and help but there are no broom wagons (so things like chain tools, zipties and spoke tools are all considered useful). Personally though, that is part of the appeal. I like getting on my bike with a routecard and working my own way through the countryside.

The thing to bear in mind is that they are not all old fashioned with old gents with beards and sandals doing gentile rides. Some events (like the Beacons club or the LVIS) attract a large entry with some blinking good riders on a variety of bikes from Butcher's delivery bikes, tandems and trikes through to the latest bling. Many of the events will also provide GPS files and allow Paypal entry so they are becomming more and more accessible to all.

Average speeds vary but are usually between 10-30kph (note that there is a max as well as a min time/speed). If that sounds easy, bear in mind some routes are lumpy (3,000m of climbing in 110k, etc.) but some aren't and focus instead on enjoying the day out.

The best ones usually start and end on village halls, with refreshments provided by doughty ladies from the WI...they know how to make a cake or two and don't accept "no more for me thanks" :)
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    There are basically two types of audax rides. The short ones and the long ones.

The short ones are just like any other 100km or 200km organised ride, except with the eccentricities of the AUK system. Everyone has a little card that gets stamped as you go round, there is an upper speed limit and a time limit to finish inside.

The long rides are 300km and up. These are endurance challenges, often riding for 20 hours at a time with a few short breaks. You need lights on your bike, a backside made of old leather and lots of gumption. This second sort of audax ride is very much a minority sport. But every 4 years 5,000 riders from all over the world who are into this sort of thing do the "Paris - Brest - Paris" 1200km in 90 hours.

For more info:

http://audaxing.wordpress.com/about/
  • If we assume that Vorsprung's two types of long and small are horizontal descriptors then I can then add two vertical: The Big Events and the Basic Events.

The Big Events are where an organiser delivers a single large participation audax or a multiple distance (100,150,200km etc) event. You can generally expect a large turnout of riders. Food is provided at the GHQ, the controls en-route are manned and use cafes or halls. Full web information is given along with GPX files and robust route cards. The event is supported by a team of volunteers. Typical entry costs will be in the region of £7-£10

The Basic Events are basic shoe-string affairs. A single volunteer organiser will provide a route card and little more. The event is a single distance only. Riders are expected to gain proofs of passage for their route card in the form of receipts and ATM printouts. Generally, the entry field might be one or two dozen riders. No GHQ is provided with the event starting from a car park. Typical entry costs are usually around £3.

There are of course events the break both these rules, such as the Poor Student which is cheap but very popular, or The Elenith which is a tough 300km event with a large field.

For audax newbies, especially those familiar with the sportive scene, then I would recommend a big event with short distances (upto 200km). Generally speaking, new participants find these type of events very encouraging and enjoyable. I participated in the LVIS Barry's Bristol Ball Bash earlier this year. There were 500 entries consisting of all sorts of riders from leggy blond triathlon women to crusty old beardies (I prefer the former 8) ).

NITR8, where abouts in the UK are looking to ride?
  • NITR8s
    I live in somerset, so would be looking for rides around the southwest region. I like the sound of the cost for audax's, as paying £30 to cycle a sportive soon adds up and by the time ive entered a number of these I could be on the way to buying a new bike or at least somevery nice upgrades.

I would proberbly pay the extra £2 for the first couple of audaxs before becoming a member, to get a feel for the event.
  • Well I would have recommended the Nutty Nuns, which has just taken place.
    Ian H's Valley of the Rocks in early June has a good reputation.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/?From=01%2 ... =southwest
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would recommend the couple that Pam runs out of Porlock for starters (one in April and one in October). The early one is the Exmoor Spring (which you have just missed this year), I think the latter is Ken's Autumn Colours.
  • NITR8s
    Thanks for the recommendations, I did actually look at the exmoor spring but ended up doing the exmoor beauty sportive instead.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Just completed the New Forest Day Out - 100k although there were 50k and 140k and 200k options. Excellent day in spite of the weather and well organised with a number of checkpoints. an interesting route and ample supplies of food and tea/coffee at the end. Interesting variety of bikes, couple of carbon frames, tandems, tourers and at least one Airnimal folder. Great day out
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Another regular audaxer here - all good advice and descriptions above, so not much more to add.

(this shouldn't be taken as a negative) - one thing to note is that, although entry costs are very low compared to a sportive, you'll (usually) not be getting refreshment stops included in that fee. There will often be tea and toast at the start location, and maybe soup at the end - either included or a tin for donations. But you'll have a cafe stop or two to include in your budget (so that new bike might have a wait a bit longer!).

As I said, not to be taken as a negative - it's great to sit and chat in a cafe over a cup of tea and a cake whilst you recover from the last leg and think about the next one! Don't hang about at the controls though - that's where most time is lost - even a half hour stop has just put you 10km or so further down the road.

Agree with finding a local, shorter event with a good attendance record. Don't be afraid to let people know it's your first outing on audax as well.

Hopefully, being from the south-west, you're not afraid of the hills - but, if you see an event has AAA points on it's listing, this is a recognition of it being a particularly hilly ride, so needs to be treated with a little more respect generally.

Good luck with it all!
  • NITR8s
    Thanks marcusjb, year it seems everywhere I go I come accross a hill so have had lots of practice with them and seem to do ok with a standard chainset(such a good feeling whizing past someone up a hill whos useing there granny gear on their triple).

Will defo try an Audax, will see if I can find a busy local one.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Hi All,

I'm tempted by this whole Audax thing myself. My question is: do the organisers insist on riders wearing a helmet in the same way that Sportive organisers do?

Please don't let this deteriorate into the usual helmet argument. I just want to know if it's compulsory on Audaxes.

Cheers.
  • marcusjb
    No.

(keeping it short to reduce any chance of arguments!)
  • marcusjb
    That's just in the UK though.

Some overseas rides do need them (I believe the Mille Miglia 1600km this summer has compulsory lid wearing) - and some will also have compulsory high-viz wearing at night (but that is actually the law in many countries anyway, so is beyond the control of the organisers).
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    marcusjb wrote:
    That's just in the UK though.

Some overseas rides do need them (I believe the Mille Miglia 1600km this summer has compulsory lid wearing) - and some will also have compulsory high-viz wearing at night (but that is actually the law in many countries anyway, so is beyond the control of the organisers).

I think I will start with a local UK one to get a taste fo Audaxing then!
  • NITR8s wrote:
    Will defo try an Audax, will see if I can find a busy local one.
    Might be worth looking at the Coast-to-Coast audax on the 19th May if you're looking to do one soon-ish? 100km or 100mile routes
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    These are good and shouldn't be to far from you... http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/ I'm down for the Expedition with a ride buddy who has a Garmin ( I need reading glasses for the route sheet which is a pain).
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Got to love audax's, I'm a fan of any cycling event where the objective is to eat your way around the route :P