Building an Ark - What would you do?

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,770
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
It seems to be getting biblical out there. We can't be too far off 40 days and 40 niights by now.
I understand all this thing about too much rain falling on dry ground and running off. But, if we're going to have a drought could we at least have the traditional dry variety of drought. I'm bored of this now.

Comments

• Sorry i think it started again, as i took my BB out last night and re-greased it
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • On my ark I probably wouldn't bother inviting wasps or daddy-long legs. I might have a couple of pairs of bees and ladybirds instead.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hmmm, the thing is, I don't understand the stuff about rain falling on hard ground. It's rained pretty much every day for about 2 weeks now, I can assure you the ground is not hard, it's very squishy and if you walk on it you'll get wet feet!

I get it when it's dry for months and then we get 4 weeks worth of rain in an hour, but when it rains and rains and rains and rains and rains and rains and rains and rains and rains and rains and rains, how can the ground still be hard?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    bails87 wrote:
    Hmmm, the thing is, I don't understand the stuff about rain falling on hard ground. It's rained pretty much every day for about 2 weeks now, I can assure you the ground is not hard, it's very squishy and if you walk on it you'll get wet feet!

I get it when it's dry for months and then we get 4 weeks worth of rain in an hour, but when it rains and rains and rains and rains and rains and rains and rains and rains and rains and rains and rains, how can the ground still be hard?!

the Earth is Chuck Norris.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    I have Noah idea.
  • veronese68
    bails87 wrote:

I agree. I just wanted to moan without someone going into huge detail about the whys and wherefores. I was also worried about other directions this could go.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'd be tempted to leave the Rabbits off too. Ours is nothing but trouble, it tried to hump the dog yesterday.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105
    I suppose to be suitable here it would have to be made out of carbon and have a drop bar helm.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I was wondering if I could remove the wheels and fit a couple of ducks between the dropouts? They seem to have the handle of water, land and air....

Q/R Skewered ducks......
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Q/R Skewered ducks......

with satay sauce.... mmm
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Mmmm, I had roast duck for dinner last night :-)

Rather than build an ark, I recommend living on top of a big hill. However, if this keeps up I may be able to commute by kayak.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Quite hard to get the gopher wood nowadays - and exactly how big is a cubit ?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

I agree. I just wanted to moan without someone going into huge detail about the whys and wherefores. I was also worried about other directions this could go.

I was digging the garden this weekend: like the Somme on top, but still only damp less than a foot down. London clay innit - practically waterproof; they used to line ponds with it up on the Downs
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    rjsterry wrote:
    I was digging the garden this weekend: like the Somme on top, but still only damp less than a foot down. London clay innit - practically waterproof; they used to line ponds with it up on the Downs
    Thanks RJS, I like that. Short and to the point. I heard on the radio this mornnig that a certain south eastern water company had sold off 25 resevoirs which wouldn't help. Not sure how true it is, not what I consider a reliable source.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    and exactly how big is a cubit ?

I have a childhood memory of listening to an old Bill Cosby record my Grandfather owned which included a routine on this topic. Noah asks God exactly the same question?

It must be on Youtube somewhere.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657

I have a childhood memory of listening to an old Bill Cosby record my Grandfather owned which included a routine on this topic. Noah asks God exactly the same question?

this one?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bputeFGXEjA
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• sadlybiggins
    sadlybiggins Posts: 158
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I suppose to be suitable here it would have to be made out of carbon
    Your Ark will be more like The Titanic when the floodwater comes into contact with the carbon frame :shock:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Thanks RJS, I like that. Short and to the point. I heard on the radio this mornnig that a certain south eastern water company had sold off 25 resevoirs which wouldn't help. Not sure how true it is, not what I consider a reliable source.

Were the full or empty when sold, and did the purchaser have to take them away? We need to know these sort of facts.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    its just been on the news about all the flood warnings around the uk, the only part not effected by any floods is the North West

just though i would point that out.....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mudcow007 wrote:
    its just been on the news about all the flood warnings around the uk, the only part not effected by any floods is the North West

That's because in the North West the weather has been like this for the last 80,000 years, so you're already prepared for it :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    bails87 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

That's because in the North West the weather has been like this for the last 80,000 years, so you're already prepared for it :wink:

touche'
  • rjsterry
    From Rick's link:
    _59937206_bewlwaterreservoirdecember2006-80percentfull.jpg
    Bewl Water, Kent in 2006
    _59937205_bewlwaterreservoirdecember2011-40percentfull.jpg
    Same reservoir last December.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mudcow007
    rjsterry wrote:
    From Rick's link:
    _59937206_bewlwaterreservoirdecember2006-80percentfull.jpg
    Bewl Water, Kent in 2006
    _59937205_bewlwaterreservoirdecember2011-40percentfull.jpg
    Same reservoir last December.

surely thats a silly idea, having a bench in the middle of the reservoir (December picture)

unless you go to scuba bbq's?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333

this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bputeFGXEjA

Yep. That's the one.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I suppose to be suitable here it would have to be made out of carbon and have a drop bar helm.
    Surely it'd melt!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bails87 wrote:

You are right - it isn't hard anymore. It's not quite as straightforward as that though. Once the ground surface is nicely wetted, rainfall can start to soak into the ground. But it still might have 10s of metres of distance to go before it reaches the water table. In the meantime, as it is now the growing season, much of the water in the shallow subsurface will be lost to feeding the plants (and some won't have reached the ground as many trees are now in leaf and intercept a lot of rain). Then, because the ground is dry, you need to get a fair amount of water back into it before surface tension is overcome - a lot of the water that has fallen will just end up bound on the grains that form the rock. Only once you've got everything properly wet, does gravity take over and the rainfall actually reach the water table. Normally, this has pretty much stopped at this time of year but the rainfall this month has been about as exceptional as the lack of rainfall over winter.

If things calm down now, chances are there surface water drought will be over but the groundwater levels are still likely to be low by the end of the year. So we still need a wet winter to get close to back to normal.

As for the reservoir sell off thing - it's not impossible. There are a lot of small reservoirs about that would cost a fortune to run given the treatment required on the water. They are generally pretty small. Also, not every reservoir is built for public supply - some exist simply to keep rivers flowing. They are actually demolishing some reservoirs in the Northwest :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mudcow007
    its hot hot hot here today with bright sunshine

ohhhh the sun has got his hat on....
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Rolf F wrote:
    So we still need a wet winter to get close to back to normal.
    Exactly, nail on the head.

Many reservoirs are given winter abstraction licences on a seasonal hand off basis, flows were low over the winter so they couldn't fill. It can rain all it wants now, it hasn't given us our winter replenishment period.

Go visit your local stream and tell me how much water you can find :P

Sorry guys!