new bike help please

burwat
burwat Posts: 8
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I have decided against upgrading my current bike I was given and decided to take the plunge and buy my own, I am stuck between 2 bikes and really dont know which one to go for.

Please help :D

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ogId=10151

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You won't go wrong with either....the Rockrider is better value for money, the Boardman a better bike (always the way, the more you spend the worse the VFM!).....

If you get the Boardman buy it online using the NUS discount code (NUSMAY12).....gets another 10% off and if you get through quidco you get cashback as well......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • burwat
    burwat Posts: 8
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have decided to go with a Boardman but cant decide between the comp or the team.

Is the team worth the extra cash?

Thanks
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    edited May 2012
    burwat wrote:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have decided to go with a Boardman but cant decide between the comp or the team.

Is the team worth the extra cash?

Thanks

1KG lighter, better fork, better gears, better brakes

I don't know how much difference there is between the SRAM X5 and Elixir 1's on the Comp and the X7 and Elixir 3's on the Team, but I'm guessing they are small differences. I don't know about that fork but I think that Recon Gold TK is meant to be good, but then so is the Epicon and I don't know how much better it would be. It's just whether you can afford it and think the upgraded components will make any difference for you. I'd go and look at the differences between the brakes and gears on each and decide if it's worth it, I think the main difference will be the weight of those parts (including probably a lighter fork too) and that's why the Team weighs 1KG less than the Comp .
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    I'd plump for the Team myself, Recon TK's are easily upgraded to motion control if they become a problem and rockshox reliability is reknowned, and I really don't like the elixir 1's being a one piece unhinged clamp but that's just a preference. And 1kg is a decent weight saving too so that's my 2p worth :D