Retro cycling tops

the_spooks
the_spooks Posts: 190
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Ok so we all know its a huge faux pas wearing the world champ top and if we are honest current team colours, but what's the thoughts on a retro styled tops of the greats?
Thoughts and opinions?

Comments

• Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    wear what u want to wear, if you think a king of the mountains top is cool wear it. there is FAR too much snobbery on this forum and cycling in general, just enjoy your cycling ;-)
  • the_spooks
    Kingy your probably right mate, I shouldn't be worrying what others think and enjoy my cycling. Cheers
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Kingy911 wrote:
    wear what u want to wear, if you think a king of the mountains top is cool wear it. there is FAR too much snobbery on this forum and cycling in general, just enjoy your cycling ;-)

Right then, when I turn up at my first sportive wearing a bright green Borat mankini thong, if someone says anything to me I'll direct them to you.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    indeed wear what you like and enjoy it - on the issue of old school jerseys i've just got my hands on this just because i like Roger De Vlaemnick and the colours, hehe
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • the_spooks
    Cleat the one I like is from same site, this one http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2761. Alas not in stock in my size.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited May 2012
    indeed wear what you like and enjoy it - on the issue of old school jerseys i've just got my hands on this just because i like Roger De Vlaemnick and the colours, hehe

Yepp I like that top. This one with the same colours from Santini also looks to be quite nice in that it is retro without being linked to a particular rider:

http://www.santinisms.it/en_product.aspx?id=309

One of my own favs is the Peugot/Shell top a la Robert Millar. Very nice. However, better than just a retro top, get yourself an older bike too and come along to events like this one:

http://www.pendlewitchesvintagevelo.co. ... raphy.html

Some nice B&W piccies here (you may even notice a Peugot/shell top a la Millar :wink: ):

http://www.flickr.com//photos/rickrobso ... 8939/show/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    I wear them a lot :).
  • LeftyBairn
    LeftyBairn Posts: 10
    Got the 'Z' one from Prendas, it's how a cycling jersey should look! Gets a few puzzled looks from the non-cyclists at my office when I ride to work though haha!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    My favourite KOM jersey pic

0f6d76d5.jpg
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    Buy whatever makes you happy but for heavens sake, not in BLACK! Cycling is dangerous enough, wear bright colours and stand out so drivers can see you!
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Buy whatever makes you happy but for heavens sake, not in BLACK! Cycling is dangerous enough, wear bright colours and stand out so drivers can see you!

You could wear a flashing neon kit and some drivers still wouldnt see you!! :lol::lol:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    the_Spooks wrote:
    Ok so we all know its a huge faux pas wearing the world champ top and if we are honest current team colours, but what's the thoughts on a retro styled tops of the greats?
    Thoughts and opinions?

Cavendish in faux pas shocker?!?!?!?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585

Ah wear whatever you want.

People drive black cars.

Have lights and it's fine.
  • GT_Dave
    GT_Dave Posts: 161
    I wear my garish Marmite top with pride and dont care how ridiculous people think I look, I believe it makes more drivers actually see me! My kids chose it as i do love Marmite and i think its great.

One of my cycling buddies wears a Kellogs shirt as it has a great big male chicken on the front :D