My turn for a sh*t day

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
I took my friend of 13 years for a scan this morning, following on going issues that his treatment for an over active thyroid hasn't helped. I got a call at about 10:30am, saying that following the scan, they'd found a large mass in his abdomen, and suspected it to be a large distributed tumor, possibly intestinal lymphoma. Due to it's location, and distribution, they needed to open him up and open his intestine to take a biopsy.

Later, I got a call, telling me that as a result of the severity of his illness he had gone into shock, his blood pressure was minimal and his temperature had dropped severely. His heart was still beating and he was breathing on his own, but he hadn't come round from the anaesthetic. I was told that it wasn't looking good, he may not recover.

Later still, I got a call and was told that he still wasn't responding, but his temperature had risen slightly, it was a good sign, but they weren't confident that he was going to come out of the anaesthetic.

Today was turning out to be sh*t. I hadn't even said goodby to him. He hasn't quite been himself lately, but has just been a little subdued, nothing more. This morning, he seemed fine, now I'm being told that I may not see him again.

Later still, I got a call saying he had come round, and can just about hold his head up. Still not ideal though.

The last call I got tonight, was to tell me that he's still with us, but is very groggy, and not quite with it. He is however, responding to interaction and is thoroughly p*ssed off. Expressing this with a lot of grumbling. That said, hopes still aren't high as he's still in a bad way.

My friend of 13 years is Elmo, my Bombay cat. It appears that he's got a huge distributed intestinal lymphoma that the overactive thyroid was masking. He's a very friendly, intelligent animal, as anyone who has an Asian cat will know. He was a companion and huge support through my depression following my divorce.

I'm hoping that I get a call in the morning to tell me that he's still with me. I hope to see him again, I miss him and wish I'd got chance to say goodbye.......... just in case.

Sorry for the ramble.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    God bless ya Matt
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Hope he pulls through for ya mate
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Sounds like he`s in good hands there..dont delay tomorrow get over to see him.Good luck.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    If hes having a grumble at folk Matt, sounds as though he's a fighter and will make it through. Heres keeping fingers crossed for you and Elmo. Get over and see him first thing it will be the lift you both need.
  • MattC59
    Thanks fellas.

Again, sorry for the ramble, I've, eeerm, had a glass or two of red. :oops:
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Chin up Matt. Nothing worse than missing a loved pet.

Fingers crossed for the morning.
    Peter
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    My thoughts are with you Matt, fingers crossed that it all turns out OK.

If you can then why not go up to the Vets and see him, you never know it might give him a boost!
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Don't appologise Matt. It's at times like this that internet forums really show their worth.
    All the best. Graham.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Matt how are things, my thoughts are with you!
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Hope all goes well pal
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    It's time to do the right thing, give your old friend one last hug, kiss him goodbye, talk to him & ruffle his fur as the drugs take effect.
    Dry your eyes, ask to have his ashes back.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    My 3 best mates bollo, naboo and spud are rooting for you mate, don't know what else to say, If I lost one of my little buggers I'd be devastated.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    My thoughts are with you also Matt, it's time to say goodbye. I think I must have something in my eye, it's amazing how they both water when that happens.
  • MattC59
    Well guys, thanks for the messages.

Elmo's not good, he has an over active thyroid and a low grade intestinal lymphoma. Unfortunately, the thyroid issue was masking the cancer, so he appeared ok. Now we're treating the thyroid, the cancer is knocking him about, a did the surgery to investigate the cancer. He's lost 0.6kg in a week, which is 15% of his body weight. He came home, but wasn't eating and weight was falling off him, so now he's back at the vets. They've started chemo and steroid treatment, which he's responding to (apparently it doesn't effect cats in the same way that it does people) and the vet says he's doing well. Fingers crossed, he'll be back tomorrow and should be fine for another 18months or so. He should recover from this episode, but long term it doesn't look good.

When I took him in yesterday, the vet said it might be time to call it a day. But he recommended that we leave Elmo with him for a few days so that they can try the treatment. If he doesn't respond, then maybe it's time to let him go, but it appears he is responding and recovering. I'll get a call again tomorrow, but I'm glad we chose for the vet to treat him.

It's been a rough week.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Fingers crossed for you buddy. Not looking fwd to the day my boy is in same position. Daft really they're only animals but boy do we invest a lot into them
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    If our experience is anything to go by you have some more time. Our dog started getting all sorts of different problems last August, by October his lymph nodes were so enlarged the vet did a fine needle biopsy and confirmed lymphoma. Before Christmas he had 3 rounds of Chemo and steroids.

He went for another walk today and was chasing round like a puppy - he's 14 years old! We know we don't have long with him, he's already outlived the vets expectations, but every day is special as long as they are comfortable and happy ones.

Best of luck mate.