Forum home Commuter cycling forum The workshop

Noob with a new bike... pedal problem.

Lazarus42Lazarus42 Posts: 20
edited May 2012 in The workshop
Just done the first few miles on a Carrera Subway Ltd. Ed. and have noticed click or clonk as I start the downstroke on left pedal. You can feel it through your foot slightly and hear it too.

Pedals are Wellgo Alloy... Take it back or try tightening?

Laz

Posts

  • mattvmattv Posts: 992
    It could be a couple of things, neither of which a noobis likely to have tools to fix. Take it back, thats the reason for buying new. Warranty!
  • Lazarus42Lazarus42 Posts: 20
    mattv wrote:
    It could be a couple of things, neither of which a noobis likely to have tools to fix. Take it back, thats the reason for buying new. Warranty!

    Good point.. i'll bung it in the car tomorrow after work and take it back. No point riding it there if they keep the bloody thing eh?

    L
  • Lazarus42Lazarus42 Posts: 20
    Took it into Halfords by car... Replaced pedals. Seems fine, we'll see.

    A glimpse into Halfords training "Do the easy things first, then look deeper!" Chanted like a mantra as one panicky guy was about to delve into my bottom bracket, torque wrench in hand & one calmer guy passed him the pedals. I think i'm glad they stopped at the pedals! They didn't seem together enough for anything hectic! Didn't inspire confidence anyway! Phrases like "We'll NEVER get everything done!" & "Breath!... It'll be fine, we'll sort it!" Accompanied with profuse sweating and unanswered 'phones!

    Now I know why the mixed reviews of Halfords Bikehut!

    But... on a quick test around the car park with brakes half on so I had to push pretty hard, the clonk has gone.
  • IT66TIT66T Posts: 377
    Sounds like your problem has been sorted and yes their are some Halfords stores where they know what their doing and some where the staff are limited to basic knowledge :roll: .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • Lazarus42Lazarus42 Posts: 20
    IT66T wrote:
    Sounds like your problem has been sorted and yes their are some Halfords stores where they know what their doing and some where the staff are limited to basic knowledge :roll: .

    Was back there again today... New computer as original one had stopped working! Although they did fit a new riser I purchased from them free of charge (Carrera Subway low handlebar problem) and sent me on my way with front wheel a few degrees out from the way the bars are pointing. So tonight I got it home and fettled the thing on the way to my liking. Haven't had a bike in the front room for bloody years! Enjoyed it!

    Completed 1st day's commute today and tomorrow's will be easier with the adjustments i've made.

    L :)
  • IT66TIT66T Posts: 377
    I was begining to wonder for a moment then when you mentioned going back to Halfords but it looks like you did alright even if the handlebar alignment was out a bit :shock: but as long as your happy that all is ok now , the wife would go off her head if i had a bike in the livingroom :lol: , so you enjoyed your 1st commute to work today which must be a good sign , so if you don't post any more problems up in the next week or so then things should be good until you wear something out lol .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • Neal84Neal84 Posts: 12
    Lazarus42 wrote:
    Took it into Halfords by car... Replaced pedals. Seems fine, we'll see.

    A glimpse into Halfords training "Do the easy things first, then look deeper!" Chanted like a mantra as one panicky guy was about to delve into my bottom bracket, torque wrench in hand & one calmer guy passed him the pedals. I think i'm glad they stopped at the pedals! They didn't seem together enough for anything hectic! Didn't inspire confidence anyway! Phrases like "We'll NEVER get everything done!" & "Breath!... It'll be fine, we'll sort it!" Accompanied with profuse sweating and unanswered 'phones!

    Now I know why the mixed reviews of Halfords Bikehut!

    But... on a quick test around the car park with brakes half on so I had to push pretty hard, the clonk has gone.

    I had a similar thing on Monday after 6 weeks and 300 miles. Halfords went with changing the bottom bracket on mine (cured the click) but then told me the chain needs replacing! Bloody monkeys!
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just do it youself then you'll only have one monkey to blame.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
Sign In or Register to comment.