First Hull Trains - Unable to reserve cycle space

Inthernet
Inthernet Posts: 10
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Hello all, this is not strictly commuting but I'm traveling from Hull to London with my bike and according to the First Hull Trains website:
Bicycles

Our trains include a cycle carriage area. However, as there are a limited number of spaces, passengers wishing to carry a bicycle or tandem are requested to reserve in advance.
http://www.hulltrains.co.uk/FAQ.php#FAQ10

So I ring them up on an 0845 number, get held for a while before being told that a space "cannot be guaranteed" Asked phone operator to speak to a superior about it, and still the same answer.

What's up with this? :-?

Comments

• What they usually mean here is if the rolling stock has to be replaced at short notice with some other equipment, it might not have the designated space. Also in some rolling stock the bike space can be shared with motorised wheelchairs and other similar which often have priority. I don't think there is a fee for reserving space (wasn't last time I looked) so you cant argue you paid for anything! Generally trains in the UK and bikes don't mix too well I've found...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    if you did not book the bike when you bought the ticket ( even though there is no option on the web site):

you will not be able to get that ticket / tags on the frame (6 bikes per train est)

You are pretty much left to the mercy of the conductor (most are very helpful)

but if its a peak time (that is between 5:45am - 23:45 pm) you should be able to book a space, peak hours no booking allowed ( I have found as long as its not commuting time there is plenty of space on trains as they discourage all who want to travel on trains....)

rant over
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I am interested on how you get on with this as I am hoping to do the Harwich to Hull cycle route this year and then get the train back.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When I've needed to book trains with my bike I've searched deals online then gone to the local mainline station and booked the train that I can get my bike on. IIRC one of the operators allow you to book bikes online but I can't remember which one.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    redvee wrote:
    When I've needed to book trains with my bike I've searched deals online then gone to the local mainline station and booked the train that I can get my bike on. IIRC one of the operators allow you to book bikes online but I can't remember which one.

East Coast allow this
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Inthernet
    Funnily enough, I gave Hull Trains a call this morning and I got my reservation.

This brings me to another problem. I booked a London Midland and Virgin Trains journey on the LM site, sneakily splitting a London - Liverpool ticket at Stafford. I gave Virgin a call for a reservation, and got told I had to go call LM who has the booking reference number. LM operator says they cannot add a bike after I've made an online booking because I didn't do so myself at the time of booking. I checked the booking process and the option is there, in a font size which cannot be larger than size 8. Lovely.

Time to go to London Euston later today to attempt to sort this out...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    you can't have anything but a folding bike on London Midland if arriving or leaving Euston at peak times (morning and afternoon). other than that you're OK, head for the carriage with the loo in it, there is loads of space.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Inthernet
    t4tomo wrote:
    you can't have anything but a folding bike on London Midland if arriving or leaving Euston at peak times (morning and afternoon). other than that you're OK, head for the carriage with the loo in it, there is loads of space.

Thanks for the heads-up. Already knew that and I'm traveling on a Saturday! I'm riding the Trans-Pennine Trail from Liverpool to Hull thus the train tickets, and thank goodness everything is sorted! Went straight to the LM counter at Euston, to be redirected to the Virgin counters which left me confused. Nevertheless, the woman at Virgin booked my bike in without a fuss. Problem solved, although I wish it were less troublesome!

At the end of the day, I'm finding it extremely fortunate, and grateful that I have the freedom to take my bike onto trains at certain times of the day in the UK. I grew up in crowded Hong Kong and Japan where you simply can't do this.

Thank you all for your extremely generous help.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    I was googling and came across this thread.

I was trying to book a reservation but Monday and Tuesday next week she was like no all booked, and got to Wednesday and she said I was unable to book. I could hardly understand a word she was saying as she was Indian. I don't even know if what she was saying was accurate, she sounded like she might have just being the sort of "COMPUTER SAYS NO" person.

WHY IS IT SO FREAKING HARD TO GET A BICYCLE TO LONDON OMG!

If I go to Selby station will someone there be able to reserve me a bike slot???????????

Someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please!"!!!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    willhub wrote:
    I was googling and came across this thread.

I was trying to book a reservation but Monday and Tuesday next week she was like no all booked, and got to Wednesday and she said I was unable to book. I could hardly understand a word she was saying as she was Indian. I don't even know if what she was saying was accurate, she sounded like she might have just being the sort of "COMPUTER SAYS NO" person.

WHY IS IT SO FREAKING HARD TO GET A BICYCLE TO LONDON OMG!

If I go to Selby station will someone there be able to reserve me a bike slot???????????

Someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please!"!!!

Its an absolute doddle

Go to www.eastcoast.co.uk you Can book the Hull Train on that website and reserve your bike space. No need to speak to anyone anywhere etc
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • willhub
    Website says no space available, woman at station says there is!?!?!?
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I only have limited experience, but the one thing I do notice is that having a reservation or not seems to make b*gger all difference. From the London trains with cycle spaces but no cycles, to the wales trains which had spaces for two but nevertheless managed to accommodate about 20, I've kind of given up worrying about it. Especially after chatting to someone on one of the London trains who said he'd commuted in and out for over a year and only once failed to get a space.

My advice is to find out what the policy is and how much space the trains have and then steer clear of peak hours. Bottom line is that if the train is packed you're unlikely to get a bike on, but if the train is not packed and the carrier has a fairly bike-friendly policy they'll usually let you squeeze in. Whenever I've used a hopper-type train (ie one of those laid out like a tube train with sliding doors mid-carriage and big spaces around them) you could have put the tour-de-france on them and no-one would have batted an eyelid. The only real reaction I've had from a guard has been 'oooh, that's a nice bike, how much was it'.
  • willhub
    Well £10 extra and a day later and I've managed to reserve a space. I'll be using the Hammersmith & City line then the Jubilee line when I get to London too, I'm goingt o try get my bike on even if it is busy, need to use the tube between 15:10 and 16:00
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Not on the jubilee line you won't (unless its a folder). http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ ... be-map.pdf

Why don't you just RIDE?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • willhub
    Why can't I get the Jubilee Line from West Ham to Canning Town? That map you linked to says it's fine.

I'm staying in London for 2-3 weeks, I can't ride with the large bag I'll be carrying.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    willhub wrote:
    Why can't I get the Jubilee Line from West Ham to Canning Town? That map you linked to says it's fine.

I'm staying in London for 2-3 weeks, I can't ride with the large bag I'll be carrying.

You can. Though carrying but not riding a bike defeats the object. Your original message suggested you were going somewhere on the H&C line then the Jubilee, so I guessed somewhere in Central London... clearly was wrong.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • willhub
    Pontoon Dock.

I go to Canning Town and walk the 2 miles to there.

I'm carying too much to cycle with. I'm only taking my bike so I can go on long rides and not turn into a couch potato, it's not a commuting frame so I can't fit loads of panniers on it.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Will, how about this...

When you arrive in London, lock up your bike somewhere secure and take the tube to where you will be living. Drop off your gear.

Then return to collect your bike and ride that to where you'll be living.

You won't be very popular on the Jubilee line with a non-folding bike.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • willhub
    It's a carbon road bike, where is secure to lock a bike up so it does not get stolen? It's not insured.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    willhub wrote:
    It's a carbon road bike, where is secure to lock a bike up so it does not get stolen? It's not insured.

Fair question. If you use two decent locks and secure the wheels/remove the saddle and seat post, then you should be okay.

Or leave it at a BikeRadarer's flat - I am sure someone here must live near KX.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/