Rim depth indicator

houndlegs
houndlegs Posts: 267
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Evening all

Would I be correct in thinking the depth indicator on the rim is a small hole( close to the valve ) and when you can no longer see the hole it's time to replace?

Cheers

Comments

• rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Pretty much, some have holes/dimpes, some have a strip around the enture brake track and some have nothing at all. The brake track will also start to be a bit concave when its time to replace.
  • If its really a hole unlikely as holes are there to let water drain away - the wear indicator is a dimple ( indentation) in the rim. My RS 10s have the dimple my other wheels have a groove all the way round the rim.
  • Where is the dimple on a RS 10 front wheel, near or opposite to the valve ?
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    If its really a hole unlikely as holes are there to let water drain away - the wear indicator is a dimple ( indentation) in the rim. My RS 10s have the dimple my other wheels have a groove all the way round the rim.

Yeah it is a dimple not a hole,thanks for the help everyone
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My RS10's have the wear indicator dimples diametrically opposite the valve hole. I thought I'd worn them away till is gave the rims a good scrubbing, at which point they reappeared
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Where is the dimple on a RS 10 front wheel, near or opposite to the valve ?

On my RS10s the wear dimple is directly opposite the valve hole on the front. On the rear wheel it's almost directly opposite (offset by one spoke). The holes for draining water from the rim are on the black sloping part of the rim (i.e. they are not on the braking track) and on both wheels are directly opposite the valve holes.

Hope this helps (and my rims are filthy so thank for the question - that's a job for before my next ride! :D )