Which tyres would you recommend buying? (On a budget)

christiandransfield
christiandransfield Posts: 127
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

I've just started training for my charity ride and unfortunately hit something on the dual carriageway and have nackered my (already old) front tyre.

I'm on a budget (as per usual) and wondered what budget tyres you guys have had the best time with.

My bike is an 80s Raleigh Banana bike. I've had 700cc 25s on it (Not sure if that's the idea size tyre for them).

Christian.

Comments

• Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I've never ridden them myself but I think you should get some of these.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ITTTYRF610

in yellow, obviously. :)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Thanks for such a swift reply mate, and with a link to yellow tyres! :)

They look like slick tires though... Is that lack of tread going to be a problem in wet conditions? Sorry if I sound like I know nothing!

Gizmo_ wrote:
    I've never ridden them myself but I think you should get some of these.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ITTTYRF610

in yellow, obviously. :)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    edited April 2012
    Lack of tread on road bike tyres is not an indication that they will be rubbish in the wet.

The compound of the tyre is far more important.

Treaded tyres are for mountain bikes and cars;-) Essentially treads allow the tyre to still have a surface area contact with the road in mud or standing water but as a road bike wheel is very narrow this does not apply in the same way.

Slick tyres will still have grip if the compound is OK. You obviously will have less grip than in the dry but should also be riding accordingly.

The ones suggested are good for the money.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Slicks are only a problem in a wet on car tyres because they have a square profile - the front of the contact patch is basically a straight line, and therefore as the water has nowhere to go, the tyre pushes up on top of the water (aquaplanes), it's no longer in contact with the ground and therefore can no longer steer.

On a road bike the tyre profile is always 'round' so it squirts the water away to each side, and you don't need grooves to do it. Although the laws of grip/friction do still apply and so if you lean over too far around a corner it will still slide.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • aah ok, thanks for the info.

Also, what's the difference between folding tyres and traditional stiffer tyres? Am I likely to get more punctures etc on folding tyres?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Folding tyres have a (soft) kevlar bead enabling the tyre to be 'folded', so they fit in a box and can be posted easy.

Traditional clincher tyres have a steel bead which can not be folded, so the tyre stays round for shipping..

The puncture resistance of a tyre is not dictated by the bead so folding or non foldiing versions of the same tyre will perform the same in terms of puncture protection.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    N.B. folders are typically a bit lighter (maybe as much as 50gm) & a few £££ more expensive for any given tire.
  • Thanks for the info guys. Think I'll buy those Vittoria bad boys in yellow then!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Vittoria Rubino 3 pros.are some of the best tires you can get for the money. I have been using them for 3 years now and they roll very well and don't puncture often. They are quite grippy too.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Thanks for your help guys.

I've just ordered a pair of the Vittoria Rubino 3 Pros (Unfortunately not in the yellow, as they don't have them for 700x25s!).

I'll let you know how they feel!