Beginners advice needed

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I weighed myself a few months ago and nearly died when I saw I was 20 Stone. I decided to start cycling to work and back everyday. A 6 mile round trip, and I try to get out on a Saturday morning for a 20 – 30 mile ride. I have a Giant CRS2.0 hybrid, and I have well gotten used to it now. My commute to work is in heavy traffic with lots of lights, but coming home is all up hill. So here is where I need advice.

My employers are introducing a cycle to work scheme, so Im getting a new bike. Do I change to a racer type road bike with drop bars and faster tyres? Or does the hybrid suit heavier people more? Which is better for weight loss?

Also, as the work route is heavy traffic I was looking for a dual platform/clipless pedal. So I can ride platform to work and clip in for longer cycles. If anyone knows of a certain brand they know works well would be great. (Shimano M530 seem popular)

Wirth the hybrid im averaging 12mph on flat and 10mph in traffic rides. Is this normal for my size after a few months, or should it be better?

Cheers
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    edited April 2012
    Sounds like you are doing it all right at the moment. Have you lost weight since you started riding?

How much do you enjoy cycling, and do you intend to do more of it and keep it up?

With the bike to work scheme you've got about or up to a grand to spend, the best thing is to go and ride a few bikes, or at the very least go and sit on a few to if you like the position/ride. It may be because of the commuting you would be better off keeping your old bike for the commute, and buy a road bike (racer) for the weekends for fun. Either way the road bike will be faster, but if you use it for the commute you probably won't see a huge benefit because of the relatively few miles and all the stopping at junctions.

Anyway as far as bikes are concerned at a the grand price range the world is your lobster, go and have a play with a few at yout LBS ( local bike shop) , not Halfords, and see what you think. I'd keep the bike you've got for the commute and buy a road bike for fun.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2012
    am no expert by any means and asked a weight related question recently. It appears all shapes and sizes can and do ride road bikes with no major issues (my concern was rim damage from combined excess weight and potholes)

there are many dual sided clipless pedals available and tbh i use spd m520s on my mtb and will most likely use a similar pedal for my road bike (possibly one with a platform) so that I dont need to change cleats/shoes for whichever bike i decide to use. these were recommended for road by my lbs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-E-PDA52 ... 15&sr=1-44

If you already have a hybrid then maybe it makes sense to get something different however the best option would be to go to your local lbs and try a few different models to see what suits you best.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Assuming you are keeping your hybrid as well(?) I would opt for the drop handlebar road bike. This will add a bit of variety to your riding - you could use your hybrid for commuting and bring out your racer for the longer weekend ride, you'll probably find that your 20-30 mile route seems easier and you'll want to extend it after a while.
    In terms of weight limitations, I have seen a few carbon frames that specify a maximum weight limit but I would imagine if you opt for a good quality aluminium frame then there should be no issues whatsoever.
    If you opt for the M530 pedals then there is nothing to stop you using something like M520 pedals on your new road bike for longer rides, these are double sided spd but would still suit the same shoes as the M530, and you can walk in them when you dismount, unlike road shoes.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Once you get used to clipin pedals, clipping in and out at traffic lights wont phase you and will become as natural as doing it with normal pedals. Although it helps to buy a set of decent pedals, as I know that I find clipping in and out of my i-clic racers a breeze, where as my friend struggles to clip in and out of his lower spec spd pedals.
  • seanorawe
    p9uma wrote:
    Sounds like you are doing it all right at the moment. Have you lost weight since you started riding?

How much do you enjoy cycling, and do you intend to do more of it and keep it up?

quote]

Hi

I love cycling, Ive defo been bitten by the bug. I never thought until I read these replies. But Ill keep the hybrid for work and get the road bike for weekends. Go me... Mr 2 bikes!

So far I have not lost weight but i am alot fitter, my legs are more toned and im eating up hills that I struggled with at the start.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe
    Thanks for all the reponses.

Im going to keep my hybris for the commute and get the road bike for fun.

As for the shoes and dual pedals, Ill speak to my LBS and try some out.

Cheers
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Neither roadie nor hybrid is better for weightloss. Your diet will sort that out,exercise is a very small part of losing weight.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Neither roadie nor hybrid is better for weightloss. Your diet will sort that out,exercise is a very small part of losing weight.

I beg to differ. Two friends have lost piles of weight and in both cases is was exercise that did the trick combined with a reduction in foot intake. Just easting less won't show such good results.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565

He speaketh the truth. Calories in, calories out, thermo dynamics or summat. Exercise and diet, stop eating junk and you'll lose weight, there is a great free iPhone / iPad app called myfitnesspal which helped me lose 22lb in 14 weeks, I thoroughly recomend it,
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Yep, excercise combined with a healthy diet (do you really need those digestives with every cup of tea?) will do the trick.

I am down to my lowest weight in 15 years thanks to this combination. Now if I could only lose my spare tyre I would be good to go.....any advice?
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    Now if I could only lose my spare tyre I would be good to go.....any advice?

You could put it in one of those natty little saddle bags in case? :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    unixnerd wrote:

I beg to differ. Two friends have lost piles of weight and in both cases is was exercise that did the trick combined with a reduction in foot intake. Just easting less won't show such good results.
    If they combined eating less and exercise - how do you know for sure which had the greater effect? There are of course examples of very large people who have no choice but to diet down before taking on some form of exercise.

I fear you may have missed the point slightly though. You can exercise for as long and as often as you want,but unless you stop with the cakes,pies,sugary crap,bad snacking,grazing on biscuits yada yada,any effort is pointless.

You cannot feel any benefit to exercise until your diet can fuel it,sustain it and ultimately,work for - not against you and your goals. Cycling 20miles then eating pie and chips isn't how to do it,exercise at that point is generally wasted.

OP: what weight are you now? example of daily diet? age/height? Please :)
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    smidsy wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    Now if I could only lose my spare tyre I would be good to go.....any advice?

You could put it in one of those natty little saddle bags in case? :shock:

It won't stretch that far (but it probably wouldn't be far off) :oops:
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • seanorawe wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

quote]

Hi

I love cycling, Ive defo been bitten by the bug. I never thought until I read these replies. But Ill keep the hybrid for work and get the road bike for weekends. Go me... Mr 2 bikes!

So far I have not lost weight but i am alot fitter, my legs are more toned and im eating up hills that I struggled with at the start.

Muscle is denser than fat so it is quite possible you may get fitter and change body shape without major weight loss. Your speeds are fine for where you are (better than mine when I started with my hybrid) get the road bike and enjoy ( I did) :D
  • tommo7567
    tommo7567 Posts: 95
    Irather than splash out on a new road bike just yet, why not make yourself a promise and set yourself a target at the same time? Plan on treating yourself to the best road bike you can afford when you've reached your target weight if that is your intention. Buy a second hand one for now to get the feel of the thing but just think how good you will feel walking into your LBS to buy your dream bike knowing you've earnt it the hard way and that you really deserve it.

Theres plenty of blogs about doing this written by people who have made themselves this promise.

Good luck

Tommo
  • seanorawe
    p9uma wrote:

He speaketh the truth. Calories in, calories out, thermo dynamics or summat. Exercise and diet, stop eating junk and you'll lose weight, there is a great free iPhone / iPad app called myfitnesspal which helped me lose 22lb in 14 weeks, I thoroughly recomend it,

Ill check that out

I cycle using the Iphone app Runkeeper. Its pretty good for calories burned, average pace etc
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe
    unixnerd wrote:

If they combined eating less and exercise - how do you know for sure which had the greater effect? There are of course examples of very large people who have no choice but to diet down before taking on some form of exercise.

I fear you may have missed the point slightly though. You can exercise for as long and as often as you want,but unless you stop with the cakes,pies,sugary crap,bad snacking,grazing on biscuits yada yada,any effort is pointless.

You cannot feel any benefit to exercise until your diet can fuel it,sustain it and ultimately,work for - not against you and your goals. Cycling 20miles then eating pie and chips isn't how to do it,exercise at that point is generally wasted.

OP: what weight are you now? example of daily diet? age/height? Please :)

Im still around 19.8 to 20 Stone

Im definatly getting fitter, I took up ju jitsu at the same time so my cardio and strength is a lot better. I'll turn 30 in 6 months and im 5ft 10.5 inches

And snacking on chocolate and biscuits etc is my downfall :evil: Damn those small peices of indulgence :evil:
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    OP - It doesn't really matter which bike - for now...

A hybrid by it's very nature has a more upright position. If you have a very large stomach, or are generally a bit fat, this can be a more comfortable position to be in.

A road bike tends to have a more aggressive position - by that I mean your handlebars are lower down. If you are quite large this can be difficult since this position means you bring your legs up closer to your body - your body may get in the way.

That aside, I tend to think hybrids offer the worst of both worlds. Hybrids are often heavy, slow, and their position means there are no varieties in position. A road bike, with road bars, offers a vareity of positions - hands on top, hands on the hood, hands on the drops.

A road bike is also bespoke for the road - with all that that entails. It is faster, it puts more of the energy you put in through the pedals into speed. They're not always the most comfortable, but by and large, you get comfortable on them by getting used to them.

I think road bikes are more fun - and that means you're more likely to ride - which is the best way to lose weight. Ride more - eat less.
  • Laard
    Laard Posts: 17
    When started out after a 20 or so years off the saddle, I too weighed in at 20st and I went for a road bike. My LBS recommended the Specialized Sectuer as it offered a more relaxed ride. A good level entry bike that is now due for change (more to do with OCD than actually needing to change.
    One key thing that my LBS recommended was that the wheels on level entry kit were usually pretty poor, so I opted for an immediate upgrade to Open Pro's, hand built quad laced. They have not changed from the day I got them, so well worth enquiring with your LBS whether the wheels on whatever you choose are up the job.
    It should be noted, whilst I was awaiting the wheels being built, I cycled on the “factory fit” (ironic cockney rhyming slang there!) wheels and within the 1st hundred miles I had to get them straightened. A spoke key hasn’t gone near my hand-builts 24 months down the line