Gnome Trail

Majski
Majski Posts: 443
edited July 2012 in Holidays
Can anyone tell me how to find the start of the Gnome trail on Mont Chery? I'm looking for some new singletrack to ride in the alps this year and have heard good things about this one!

Comments

• UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    If it's the one I think it is, it's also called Gollum.

I have ridden it, but we never found the start and had to go cross country to find part of it. It's between the gondola and the start of the DH trail, though I can't really tell you where as I have no idea. When we went down it years ago, parts had been deforested, so we never went back to look for it. You'll know it if you get on it though because of the carved wooden gnome statues.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • Majski
    Yeah seen pics of the gnomes, no idea where the start is though. Normally if I want to find trails out there I just ask people who work in town and they normally know so i'll try that
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    Most people will be pretty tight lipped about their hidden trails.

However, I've watched a few videos, and it seems to enter the DH trail from the Cluses side of the hill, so I think the start of it is further along the fireroad from the DH start. About 200m along. There's a gnome statue there that should be near the start of it.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • Majski
    sweet i'll have a look.

People are tight lipped about secret trails unless you either a) know the right people or b) get them drunk enough :D
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    From a quick google, I think I know the trail you're on about. There was no gnome at the entrance any more when we rode it, we just stumbled upon it. If you go down the main mont chery dh trail, you'll come to an uphill section and a grassy bit. At the top, there will be a tree stump with a bit of a trail going through the trees on the left, it's through there, and it's really fun. There's a video here. The second trail in the video is on the right of the north shore section half way down the main trail.

I can put a video of how to find the gnome trail up on vimeo if you like?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Majski
    If you have footage showing how to get to it from the main Mt Chery black run that'd be awesome. I've seen the other vid you linked to but can't tell exactly how to get onto the first trail. Going to try slayer too
  • ilovedirt
    I'll upload it in a bit for you then mate, it's relatively easy to find. One of my favourite bits of trail from the holiday as well, it's really steep and fun :D
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Majski
    Sounds ideal!
  • ilovedirt
    Video is uploaded here, just need to wait for it to convert or something.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Majski
    Sweet, cheers. I'm off home now so i'll have a look in the morning. Should be converted too by then :D
  • Majski
    Brilliant, cheers - I know exactly where it is now. Looks steep as hell!
  • ilovedirt
    No worries mate. It's fairly steep, but I didn't find it to be uncomfortably steep. Steep enough to be fun, but without scaring the pants off me ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Majski
    That's ok then, i'll report back in a couple of weeks when i've given it a go!