Pins & Needles

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I've noticed more and more that I have permanent pins and needles in the little finger of my right hand. I've only been riding for a month and it seems to be getting longer ( the sensation ) the more I ride. Still have it now after doing my longest ride on Saturday of 50 miles. Is it down to lack of miles in the saddle or is it something more serious? I'm also noticing that my right shoulder seems to get stiff after a couple of hours and wonder if the two symptons are linked? About 5 years ago I did have to have the muscles tightened in the right shoulder to stop my shoulder from easily dis-locating following a football accident a few years prior.
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    If you have only been riding for a month then it sounds like you have not found your ideal position yet. I have no science to back any of this up, just some personal experience, but I have (and still do occasionally) experience numbness in my hands on long rides. I adjusted my riding position and through a bit of trial and error discovered that I was leaning too far forward resulting on more of my weight being supported by my hands/wrists. A minute adjustment improved this no end although I still consciously adjust my hand position regularly to prevent it from happening.
    Obviously if it continues after this then it would make sense to follow up with a doctor but I'm sure everyone has felt something similar when they start cycling.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Laard
    Laard Posts: 17
    ditto to Crescent's response.

When I first got back on the saddle after 20 so years away I too experienced similar. A little tinkering round with saddle position (moving it forward on the x axis, 5 mm at a time) I found the tingles and aches went away. I think your probably overstretching as I was. Possible a shorter stem or flipping the stem may give you a more relaxed riding position would help but start with the free of charge option first - tinker with the saddle, but do mark where your saddle is set beforehand just in case you need to revert to the original position.

One final note, when I flet the tingles come on I thought of a good tune and drummed the bars to the beat to increase the circulation, that helped, although if anyone actually had seen me doing it I would have been sectioned!

Good luck and may the tingles soon disappear
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    I've noticed more and more that I have permanent pins and needles in the little finger of my right hand.

What do you mean by permanent? Does it persist for more than a few minutes after you've got off the bike? Because it definitely shouldn't and you should be a bit more proactive in sorting the problem out if it does.

Transient numbness/pins and needles in the fingers whilst on the bike is quite common and not too much to worry about, except it is obviously uncomfortable. As you get stronger you may find yourself not leaning quite so hard through your hands which will help. Incorrect saddle position as suggested earlier is important and moving it forward slightly may help. Getting the saddle the right height is critical as well - most beginners have their saddle much too low. Regularly moving hand position on the bars, or occasionally giving your hands a shake will help. Lowering front tyre pressure will help (I run my front tyre at about 15 psi less than the rear because it carries slightly less weight). A proper bike fit is a really good idea too, but this can cost a bit.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    First of all, congratulations on doing 50 miles after only a month, that is good going.
    As this is a beginner's thread let's start with some real basics. If I'm way off base forgive me, but you never know.

Are you wearing gloves with a gel/padded palm?
    Have you got a good quality padded handlebar tape, perhaps with gel pads underneath?
    Are you moving your position during the ride - switching between the hoods, the top and the drops?

The next thing to look at is the "bike fit". I would recommend a professional fit, but as this generally costs about £180 it's not cheap. You can do it yourself with the help of a friend. This YouTube video on Bike Fit is a good start but there is plenty more material about bike fit on the Internet.

My brother was fitted for a bike last week and was amazed that you could just flip the stem over for example to raise the handlebar height. Simple things like that can alter the bike completely and doesn't cost a penny.

I hope you get this sorted so you can enjoy your riding.
  • thegodplato
    Thanks for the advice. The numbness is there more or less constant now. Like I mentioned in the initial post, I went out on Saturday, did 50 miles, and still have the numbness in my right little finger 2 days later. Yes, I agree with moving hands around and getting numbness whilst riding which has decreased the more I ride, its just this little finger problem is there for days after I ride. I'm thinking about a bike fit too but it is expensive, although if it was the bike, wouldn't I possibly get the same numbness in both little fingers?
    In terms of gloves, yes they are padded. Bar tape, well I suppose, not 100% certain as the bike is a new Bianchi and what is on is what they put on the bars normally. I mostly ride on the hoods but do move to the top when getting a bit of back ache and stiffness. On the drops I feel a little uncomfortable which I think will pass with confidence.

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Sounds similar to a conditon know as vibration white finger (a problem in manual labour tasks using vibrating tools).

What do you do for a living - do you use such tools?

It is to do with circualtion issues and in the case of VWF it is aggrevated by the tools.

Gripping less and keeping your fingers warm both help.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

I know I have pins and needles in my hands when riding my hybrid as my hand position never changes. I have not once had it on my road bike though as I am always mowing hand position.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    my fingers vibrate when I grasp any tool - but thats another court case. I've not had pins and needles in the little finger but I've had it on the thumb and thumb pad - got it after my first long ride/sportive on a mtb - I had it for 3 weeks, i was sure i'd broken something - even the mitts didnt help - as others have suggested it was down to position, in my case the seat too high and too much continuous pressure on th ehands. Like i say it took a good 3 weeks for the numbness to go. Try a few shorter rides and give it a bit of time.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • It sounds like this is what I had, note the past tense. I never did work out if it was cyclists palsy or carpal tunnel, but I had no power in my left hand, luckily I'm right handed... But my pinky would stick out and when trying to put my hand into my jeans pockets my finger would get caught outside my pocket.
    I tried various gloves and moved about my seating position but never hit the sweet spot.
    I eventually got a bike fit session from Paul Hewitt when buying a new bike and have not had any issues since. He actually raised my seat, moved it back and increased the stem length and when I changed the old trek to suit it was instantly noticable how comfier I was.
    I'd recommend a bike fit for anyone who is unsure how to get their best riding position. Compared to having a hand that couldn't grip the ketchup bottle it's money well spent.
  • thegodplato
    funny as it prob would be Paul Hewitt in Leyland if I do go for one!

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    As an aside I went to Paul Hewitt last week (had a meeting that way) and wow - a positive Aladins Cave of cycling stuff, looks nothing from the outside (almost never went in) but blimey when your in there!!!

Oh best not take your credit card though otherwise you will max it out with all those 'must have' shiny things :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.