Used carbon forks...

Koncordski
Koncordski Posts: 1,009
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
I know they melt in the rain, i'm planning on using it in the dry but I'm not sure about using them with no prior history. I've got an unused Reynolds 520 Frame (Genesis Flyer 09) that i'll build up. The seller included a set of Genesis branded carbon forks but advised that these were used. They look ok but have some chips out of the clearcoat and some scratches etc. I just don't think I'd be comfortable in london traffic worrying about them and any knocks they may have had. :?

Don't really want steel forks as looking to keep weight down so can get a new carbon fork from the Haribo pushers but which one? I've seen the columbus ones like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/columbus-tusk-carbon-fork/

They all seem to be integrated headset versions and I think the bike is non integrated. Can anyone recommend me one in the £100 area?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Is it a carbon steerer? I imagine not, so that is when less thing to worry about. Just give the forks a good check, maybe tap the legs at regular intervals - if there's invisible structural damage it will make a difference noise I think. They should be fine though - they make aircraft out of it you know!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What he said. Would you ride a second-hand carbon bike? This is no different...

On a related note, I have a set of carbon forks which I know have been in an accident (and have the cracks to prove it). I fixed the frame, but couldn't be bothered to repair the forks when I could replace them cheaply. So what use can I put the forks to? I already have a pair of old steel forks which I use as a truing stand, so that's out.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bigmat
    TGOTB wrote:

On a related note, I have a set of carbon forks which I know have been in an accident (and have the cracks to prove it). I fixed the frame, but couldn't be bothered to repair the forks when I could replace them cheaply. So what use can I put the forks to? I already have a pair of old steel forks which I use as a truing stand, so that's out.

Sell them on ebay, people will pay good money for any old sh1t!
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    BigMat wrote:
    Is it a carbon steerer? I imagine not, so that is when less thing to worry about. Just give the forks a good check, maybe tap the legs at regular intervals - if there's invisible structural damage it will make a difference noise I think. They should be fine though - they make aircraft out of it you know!

That's the problem though, tap it to see if it sounds ok. Not very reassuring when the possibility is a 20mph faceplant. :lol:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • bigmat
    Its just as likely that an alloy steerer might fail (a la Hincapie) - could happen on any fork. There are always risks of catastrophic failure, but I don't think the risk is really that much greater with carbon. If you check it and it all looks sound, chances are it is.
  • tgotb
    BigMat wrote:
    Sell them on ebay, people will pay good money for any old sh1t!
    Good point, nothing to lose if I wait for one of the free listing days...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    If anyone is interested I have a perfect pair of.Trek carbon forks (long drop caliper so will take a standard 'guard in my parts bin.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    TGOTB wrote:

You could turn it into a funky bike stand...
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • tgotb
    mattcroad wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

You could turn it into a funky bike stand...

Interesting idea; did you have a specific design in mind?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I understand that with the addition of an old skewer you can make a rather fetching toilet roll holder!
    Graham. :D